Fender Custom Shop Relic: the Duck, Malmsteen

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Cary Chilton, May 11, 2008.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

2. StratTone

StratTone Member

Not that I know of.

3. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I just some a pic on yahoo auctions of a supposed Duck relic, maybe a handmade jobby

4. yngwie308

yngwie308 Member

Cary, Dave here, I have put money down for one, I have been following the progress of this for nigh on two years. It will be announced soon, supposedly at summer NAMM, which is this weekend, but his fan club won't say anything and Fender is mum at the moment, we (me) are expecting a price point of $4 to 6K and probably only 100 made total.
    email me about it or PM through Metro forum.:JAM:JAM:JAM:phones:D:D
    yngwie308

5. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I spoke with one of the Fender Masterbuilders (who I built a strat I currently own) and asked him specifically about this-- Fender had gone to YJM's house in Miami about 2 1/2 years ago and did all their measurements/photos on 'duck' and were going do the Clapton Blackies first, then concentrate on the YJM's. When I spoke with this Masterbuilder in late 2006, he stated he had finished up the Blackies and he was going to do a certain number of the 'ducks'. Each Masterbuilder would do a certain number. As far as I know, it was all going to happen, but I too have been waiting, and waiting. I heard an interview with YJM on Talking Metal and he even stated that it was a done deal. We'll see...There was also going to be a Blackmore strat (authentic to Ricthie's #1), but that deal feel through because they couldn't reach a financial agreement. My info is straight from the source at Fender.

Khan.

6. Joe_Steeler

Joe_Steeler Member

The decison on the release is going down to the wire, might not happen at NAMM. FMIC is taking orders from dealers and the marketing stuff is already being passed around.
    As far as price point...... I swore to secrecy. Seriously.
    But suffice it to say, the price guesstimate from yngwie308 above is LOW.

7. cube

cube Member

i played one a few weeks ago at Corona .. very cool ( buy play i strummed a chord and handed it back) its less scalloped than the regular production ones

8. shuie

shuie Member

No comment on the price, but you can get a well played early '70s blonde/maple strat for a lot less than that. Here's a body that would pass for an Yngwie replica for less than $1k. These limited-masterbuilt-replica du jour guitars cease to make any sense to me when they out price the real thing. JMO. YMMV.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320263663803

BTW, is Ferrari going to allow the stickers to be used on the back?

9. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

Based on Blackie and the Frankenstrat why would you think it'd be $4000-$6000? That's the price of a regular ol' Masterbuilt.

10. Joe_Steeler

Joe_Steeler Member

I believe you because that is a fact. The Duck was scalloped by YJM himself and it has shallower scallops than his sig model or the Blackmore '97 Japan model. Supposed to be more playable and less scary for the non-scallop aficionados.

11. Joe_Steeler

Joe_Steeler Member

Higher my friend..... :worried go higher.....

12. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Hmmm. So I can order a masterbuilt and just say build it to those Yngwie specs you got, and save a ton.

I'm with Shuie. Buy and original '71 or whatever year YJM's is, and send it out for a fret job/scallop for your own specs and you'll have a closer version than the custom shop could make, because the wood will be the same vintage. It will be more authentic, cheaper and cooler all at the same time.

13. cube

cube Member

but this one comes with leather pants and a pirate shirt

14. shuie

shuie Member

Seriously, does anyone know about the Ferrari stickers? That little licensing arrangement is going to cost Fender big $$$$$.

15. cube

cube Member

they are on there .. no idea of the agreement fender has

16. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

No you cannot. Fender will not do a Masterbuilt to the specs of an Artist model. I've already asked because I wanted a Blackmore strat. There are legal reasons for this.

17. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

skhan007, that was just a joke. I didn't really think Fender would let someone do that.

18. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Does anyone else find it funny he calls it The Duck and yet he never uses the classic strat quack tone?

19. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

i saw a malmsteen model in a pawn shop 2 days ago. case candy, certificate of authenticity, the works, 1999.00