1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fender Custom Shop Rosewood Tele? Did I miss something?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tone Disciple, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

I was in Wildwood Guitars in Littleton, CO today (great store by the way - hey Bruce and Steve!) and thankfully (he says with chagrin) they had sold the used Anderson rosewood Tele thay had. But what I did see, that I was unaware of, was a Fender Custom Shop rosewood Tele that was solid rosewood as far as I could tell. It looked just like the ones from the late 60's and 70's that I kept passing up because they were soooo heavy! It was already sold so I did not play it, but I consider myself pretty up on all the current guitar options out there. so how did I miss these?

Is Fender still doing these or was it a limited run? I have seen the Anderson rosewoods and the Grosh, any others out there?

Let's hear about and see your rosewood Teles and other rosewood guitars!

How do they sound? Are they too heavy? Pics? Etc.

2. Cees van Bavel

Cees van Bavel Member

I have an all-rosewood Warmoth Telecaster, with Kinman Broadcaster Pickups.

Sounds very glassy, fenderish, all the way.

Great combination!

Cees

3. Cees van Bavel

Cees van Bavel Member

Sorry, forgot the pics!

How do I upload the pics?

4. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Hey Cees ik woonde vroeger in Zeist!
    Welcome to the TGP first of all.

Well to upload pics, you actually have to upload them somewhere to the web (I use www.photobucket.com) and then use the insert picture as you post and type/paste in the link.

5. screamtone

screamtone Supporting Member

Not the same price range, but Fender Japan is making the reissues again. They sell for less new than the 90's reissues go for on ebay.

6. Unburst

Unburst Member

The Japanese ones aren't solid rosewood, they are rosewood veneer over (I think) walnut.

7. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I believe Fender (and Fender Japan) do rosewood veneers over mahogany, but that's not something I'm totally certain about. The other guitarist in my old band had a Japanese "rosewood" tele, and while it was heavy, it wasn't solid rosewood by any stretch.

Anyhow, here's my solid rosewood Chapin Hawk (the "Devil's Chiropractor", otherwise known as the Chiro-caster). Heavy? Yeah, but totally magnificent. Very clear, very strong voice to it, well worth the effort to carry it for 3 sets a night!

[​IMG]

8. Tone Disciple

Wow! That is a great looking Chapin! How does it sound? Does the rosewood give you brighter tone? Very nice!

Regards

9. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I was in Tucson a few weeks ago, and "Guitars, etc." there had an Anderson rosewood Tele.

(I'm pretty sure that was the name of the store - whateve the name was, I'm sure it's the only Anderson dealer in Tucson.

10. Tone Disciple

Thanks Joe

Called them. It was Guitars Etc. They wanted $3065 for the Andy new.

Still haven't heard from anyone about the custom shop Teles from Fender. What did they go for?

11. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I think of it as more a "clear" tone than a "bright" tone. It's not "hi-fi" or "ice-pick" at all - it'll scream, but it has more warmth than you might think. A lot of that has to do with the pickup choices Bill made, of course. Anyway, if you can deal with the weight (and for me, it's worth it), then the guitar is pretty damn close to perfect.

12. dennyman

dennyman Member

If anyone's interested, Sam Ash on 42nd St. in NYC recently had a Fender Custom Shop Rosewood Tele (I don't remember if it was a masterbuilt). Ask for Steve...