Fender Custom Shop ?s

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Last Nerve, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Member

It has been a LONG time since I owned a CS Fender.
    It was a champagne sparkle strat, back in maybe '95 or so?

I've been rocking the Am. Dlx. lately and while I enjoy it, it feels a little stiff and sterile at times.

So looking at the NOS, Closet Classics and Relics, which line, in general, does everyone feel is well done?
    Anyway to get a Closet Classic with the vintage specs? (neck radius, vintage trem, 21 frets)

And also, do the Skin Thins belong up in this category, or are they much closer in workmanship to the Am Dlxs?

2. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder Gold Supporting Member

Can't say from experience wit the Thinskins but the rest are Fender's best.
    I never have been happier with Fender guitars than I am nowadays.

3. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

I just got a CS '60 NOS that I bought from Wildwood Guitars that is my first Custom Shop Strat. I ordered this one because it came with a 9.5" radius. From the moment I opened the case I fell in love with vibe of this Strat, sounded incredible acoustically played unplugged. When I plugged it in is really when the guitar came alive. I have an '89 Strat that is a great guitar after replacing the stock pups with Lollar Blackface pups. I thought I might have to replace the pickups in the '60 with some aftermarket pups when it got delivered, but I love the stock pickups......great tone!

[​IMG]

4. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

Just purchased two Fender Custom Shop Nocasters.

The necks are the 7 1/4 radius with the narrow vintage frets.

These guitars are beautiful to look at, smell, touch, play, and hear. They feel good to hold. The vintage custom shop pickups are spendid.

They have the Nitrocellulose lacquer finish.

The necks feel great. These guitars are capable of great nuance of tone and touch. My hands glide up and down the neck. No sticky feeling at all. I keep my house cool -- about 60. Don't know if that is a factor.

Was in love with a Relic Nocaster with the quartersawn neck. But now that I have the NOS, I think I like these best. Shiny new. That's what I like. And I like the fun of trying to keep them that way.

5. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

I love the Fender Relics. The bodies seem lighter and more resonent. They really are putting out some really nice guitars.

6. spikeRI

spikeRI Member

stratman89,
    no more pix, yer killing me........:BITCH

7. strat222

strat222 Silver Supporting Member

Last Nerve,

Here's my two Fender Custom Shops. The Daphne Blue one is a Custom Classic and the Turqouise Blue is a Limited Edition 56 Strat. It's one of 100 made. Both are smokin guitars and I couldn't be happier!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. TheOneOff

TheOneOff Silver Supporting Member

I don't own one myself, but I haven't been able to hear a bad thing about the Wildwood 10 series.