Fender Custom shop VS Tom Anderson

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tomyam, Jun 30, 2008.

1. tomyam

tomyam Member

Hi guys.
    I'm thinking of purchasing fender CS strats.
    I've only used Anderson, gibson and ibanez for my whole life
    and I'm thinking of parting with anderson and get a Fender CS Strat.

How is Fender CS strats compared to Tom Anderson?? (playability, features, tones etc etc)

I'd like to hear what you guys think!!
    any comments will be appreciated !!!

Thanks!!

-Sebastian

2. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

i can only comment this, i have a Fender that i would never trade for anything, just because it doesn't sound like a Fender, it is dark, jazzy sounding.

That said, i would go for a TA , just cause i love the ones i have played!

3. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Fender makes a lot of different Stratocaster guitars. Out of the box few will be of the Anderson build quality but there will be some doing it equally well. Overall I have always leaned towards a Fender. It's a tough guitar to really improve on, even after all these years. The six saddle bridge with trem & steel block, six screws is still the one to beat and I prefer the shape and layout of the original. They can be a tough ride but a good Fender guitar is heaven - especially those old ones!

4. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

if you want a totally vintage style, basic old strat sound, find a nice fender CS strat.
    However, the anderson will almost always play better, be easier to care for and keep in tune, etc.
    I like a good fender, but they are not as consistent as andersons, and generally not of the same quality.

Curtis james and 3 Mile Stone like this.
  5. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

I'm really liking my Eric Clapton Custom Shop , it's the 2nd Fender CS I've owned , the first being just a standard type model about 13 years ago. I really like my Grosh for it's vintage vibe and light ash body .
    All a matter of choice , the Anderson's tend to lean toward a modern style Strat and don't have the same body/feel in a lot of cases which some like and some don't .

6. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

The TA will have stainless frets. That means very little maintenance.

7. Evilmusician80

Evilmusician80 Member

If it were me man,I'd keep the Anderson ! just my 2 cents cheers!

8. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Of course that can vary guitar to guitar but between models too.
    I have a '56 Relic and a Nocaster Relic that are hands downs above and beyond any of the multitude of Fenders I have previously owned.
    Necks and fret work as well as neck to body fit are impeccable.

9. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

I use to play an Anderson exclusively...just got a custom shop strat and it feels and sounds like an old 60's strat...totally different vibe than the more modern sounding Anderson.......the CS sounds like something you would hear on an old Hendrix bootleg...could never get that with the Anderson.....totoally different beasts...

10. shally

shally Member

i have owned 4 TA's in my life...nothing fender puts out comes close

we are talking playability and getting the sound the way you want it.

I AM NOT talking about re sale because fender has an unfair advantage that way, and they play to a different market. i dont see Tom coming out with relics because that is not who buys a TA

11. bluesjuke

Relic or not I was talking playability.
    You're right about the market differences.
    Different crowd.

12. shally

shally Member

unless you are strictly going for pure vintage sound--- and nothing matters half as much to you-- i would stick with TA

i ordered from Roy.. if he is still with TA he is absolutely the best at translating what you think you want into wood and metal...

13. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Anderson has never made a guitar that sounds or feels like a great old Fender.

Fender has never built a guitar as perfectly as the average Tom Anderson.

You need to decide what matters to you and then buy accordingly.

3 Mile Stone and major-minor like this.
  14. shally

shally Member

i cannot argue with you about sound.. but i think it is unfair to say that TA doesnt make a guitar that feels truly wonderful right out of the box. feel is such a personal matter, but for fit, finish and sheer joy of running your fingers over the instrument i dont see how anyone can say fender makes something better than Tom.

15. bluesjuke

I don't think anyone said anything about one better than the other- two different animals.

16. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I am still a strat owner, and probably always will be, but TA instruments are superior to anything I have seen come from Fender. Doesn't mean anything bad about Fender, but TA just exceeds them imo. But I think several builders exceed Fender.

17. rhinocaster

I said that Anderson hasn't built a guitar that feels like a great old Fender. They haven't. They don't.

They feel "Better" than an old Fender. Smoother, silkier, perfect intonation and fretwork. After playing an Anderson or Suhr, it feels like you're digging in the dirt with your left hand when you play a CS Fender.

They don't feel like and old Fender.

Nathan Carrille likes this.
  18. Michael T

Michael T Member

I own several Anderson guitars and work at a Fender dealer.

The Andersons are FAR superior in my opinion.

Having said that they dont sound or feel like a traditional strat or Telecaster. Similar but not the same.

19. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

I think an old Fender is what I'd rather have! I mean, are you talking vintage? I owned a '64 that was like putting on a sheath; it fit perfectly. It was hardly a battle, And I have a few friends with many of those old guitars and they certainly play and feel great.

And as much as I love Anderson & Suhr & Grosh there's a tension of the high strings that feels tighter and less slinky than any of my 3 Fenders. And there's that weird ping going on with the non-vintage style bridges. They sound different and I personally don't like the spring spacing for fingerpicking; sorta crammed. I also think the Fender standard Strat neck width works best for me. Again, I like the extra room.

I have owned a bunch of the boutique Strats and the best finds and fits for me have Fender on the headstock. It just worked out that way because I'm a large fan of Suhr, Anderson & Grosh guitars. I think Anderson's Hollow T is a flawless axe. And his Cobra model is another looker. Suhr's necks and fret work are exceptional and he winds fantastic pickups. I love those uber strats that he does. And Grosh can make a new guitar sound and even feel vintage. These guys are doing so much great things! I wish I could support them all and own one from each of them!

But in the end when it came down to pick the keeper it happened to have been a Seafoam Green Fender Strat. It's almost perfect! Very nice sounding, probably not the best ever, but with a little coaxing and a few changes I think it has a chance of making it 90% of the way there. Good enough for me!

20. rhinocaster

There's no doubt that this is a great time for guitar players.

The point of my post was that "Compared" to the work that Anderson and Suhr are putting into their guitars, the CS Fenders and vintage Fenders are nowhere near as slick and perfect. Heck, these modern guitars feel like ice skating rinks!

I can't tell you how many times I went into shops with money in my pocket to buy and Anderson. I never left with one. Perfectly built guitars that do nothing for me. I've owned a few Suhrs, and they're the best compromise between old and new that I've played. Still, I don't think that a Suhr would ever be my only guitar.

There are people that prefer guitars that feel like they used to feel. That includes the good and the bad.

It's kind of like the guy that loves a '63 split window Corvette. An '08 just isn't going to scratch that itch.