Fender Custom Shop VS.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Last Nerve, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

How do the Custom Shop Fenders rank against the boutique builders who offer vintage specs?

Any Thin Skin series fans here?

Anyone previously own a CS Fender and sold if for __________ and don't miss it at all?

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

In my experience there are excellent examples of CS Fender just like boutique builders. You really have to try a bunch of guitars though to find the one for you regardless of who made it.

Regarding Thinskins, I recently got a Thinskin Thinline prototype and it's as good as any CS guitar that I've owned. Fit and finish is top notch and it has CS NoCaster pups.

3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I've had lots of both, and still have four CS Fenders, two Masterbuilt. I'm not gonna say that the Fenders surpassed the boutiques in build quality, because they didn't. Not necessarily the lesser, but not superior either. But I was never quite in love with the overall vibe of the others despite their obvious quality. Somehow the higher end Fender CS guitars had a feel and sound that just worked better for me (see how hard I'm trying not to say mojo!). They captured exactly what I wanted those particular guitars to be in every way. I have owned at least 10 other Fender CS guitars as well, so it's not like they were all ideal either. BTW, 3 of the 4 I currently own are relics, and fit like my favorite old pair of jeans!

4. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

My friend has a relic strat. An early one before they designated years to their relics.
    It was simply a 'relic strat.'
    While it could fool people, it just plays so effortlessly. So smoothly.
    As you mentioned AC...just such a nice feel.

XKnight...tell me about this Thinline...part of the Thin Skin (Wildwood, Dave's, Music Machine) series?

5. XKnight

XKnight Member

It was a Thinline Thinskin prototype made for Dave's. They are supposed to start selling them sometime in 2010. I think Wildwood is getting them as well, not sure about MM. Mine is in the natural finish. Not sure if other finishes will be offered.