Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverbs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mister Mojo, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Mister Mojo

Mister Mojo Member

yeah, so what do you think of them here?​

2. Mister Mojo

Mister Mojo Member

3. Guitartim

Guitartim Member

Guys, I'm considering one of the Vibrolux Reissues. Are they worth it or should I hold out for a clean vintage model?

Are there any years of the newer reissues that I should stay away from?

Any problem areas to look out for?

I gig regularly and play mostly blues and jazz stuff.

Thanks!

Tim

4. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

Just my opinion for what ever it's worth:

I could never really bond with the CVR's I tried in stores. On one hand I thought they sounded cool, on the other I thought they had a lot of background hiss. That doesn't bother some people, it did bother me on that amp.

I recently found a '73 Vibrolux on Craigslist for $850, and I couldn't be happier with it. I've had it on several gigs, and it is a smooth running tone machine. It just seems to have the right mojo, and no hiss at all.
    [​IMG]

5. doublee

doublee Member

+1 get a silverface, Black face it if you must but give it a chance first.

6. Defendant

Defendant Member

I used one for years, a blonde first year of issue model with the original eminence speakers.

I loved the overall tone I got from that amp. My amp never hissed particularly loudly, though I modded mine with a switchable negative feedback loop which did drop operational hum when switched in, as well as offering blackface-style levels of clean headroom.

The one downer for my amp was there was something in the low end that would fart out any speaker. Not just 10s, but any speaker, including very efficiant JBL 15s. So I had a situation where I had a tone I loved, but the amp itself was a bit of a bear to play. If I knew what I know now about amps I may have experimented with the filter caps, but in the end I moved it on when I got my Victoria Double Deluxe.

That said, I still love and miss the overall tone of my old CVR. In my opinion, it's a very different sound to a silverface Vibrolux (great amp!), which is voiced much brighter. I'd definitely love to get something similar to a CVR in future, perhaps Headstrong's brown vibroverb clone (the CVR is fender's 90s brown vibroverb ri with mods).

7. m@2

m@2 Member

i sold my CVR, the silverfaces are much better IMHO. the CVR has the hiss, weak reverb, and flabby speakers. yah, you can mod em' and make them work, but for the same (or less) $$$ u can get a silverface, that's the route I'd recommend.

8. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Black guard and a Vibrolux! :dude

9. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

10. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

That's how I roll brotha! :RoCkIn

11. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

I've played a LOT of these CVR's on stage over the years and have never really cared for them. "Reissue" is a complete misnomer, BTW. This circuit is really nothing like the original blackface and silverface versions.

I loved my '67 BFVR, and have played quite a few really nice silverface ones.

12. DavidE

DavidE Member

I have a blackfaced '74 silverface as well as a Custom Vibrolux Reverb. The old one is fantastic. The new one is actually pretty good, but I agree it has way too much hiss. It's not suitable for recording, but it's not too bad between songs if playing live. I should look into a mod to get rid of the hiss though. It was hard to believe they let the design out this way, but fortunately I got mine cheap.

13. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

owned a CVR for years, bought one when they first came out, traded it for a Fender HRDx texas red a few months ago,

The CVR is nice sounding amp, personally prefer it to the twins and the super reverb, vibrato I never used but the reverb is nice, and being two channels I could take it to jams and let someone use the channel I did not use,

I ran a Mesa V-Twin pedal with the CVR, really sounded better than my Mesa Mark IV until I put in 6V6 tubes, now the Mark IV sounds so much better than the CVR, and its about the same wattage.

Personally there are so many fender amps coming out, played the princton's yesterday and really liked those amps, and the Vibralux reissue, or the DRRI,

I like the 6V6 tubes tone, have those in my HRDx and am really loving the tone I am getting from that amp.

I don't know if I helped or not, the CVR is a good solid amp, if you prefer it to the other clean fenders get it, as I said I loved the tone of that amp over alot of the other amps, but with the Vibralux reissue and all the new fender amps, might not be a good idea to buy the CVR right now.

14. Defendant

Defendant Member

The CVR is fender's brownface Vibroverb reissue from the 90s (same pcb) with the following mods:

-different speakers
    -negative feedback loop removed (that's the low headroom and the hiss)
    -different trem circuit
    -trem and reverb shared across both channels.

I totally undertsand dudes preferring their bf and sf vibroluxes, but it's not really a direct comparison to me. The tone is brownface derived and thicker than the bf/sf stuff.

15. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

I had one for a couple years. Not a bad amp, but like all the others, I just never really bonded with mine. Traded it for my 59 Bassman LTD Relic. If you go to my myspace page and listen to all the guitar tracks but "Opposites Collide" you'll hear my CVR in action. Decide for yourself I guess... but if you're looking to get one, make sure you play a similar guitar through it at stage volumes. I had to swap speakers just to get it workable, but it still didn't compare to my SFDR, not in the slightest bit.

16. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

I don't get the removed negative feedback loop being the cause of the hissing. Seriously, help me understand why this is.

Why were 59 bassmans not prone to this same problem? 59 Champs?

Any number of blackface amps that I added a negative feedback loop attenuator pot (in the "ext. speaker" jack hole, not to perform invasive or non-reverseable mods on vintage amps)?

BTW, my '67 Vibrolux Reverb had this mod and it sounded killer. With the negative feedback loop removed from the circuit, the amp did have a thicker sound, but it was still gobs more dynamic than any CVR I've played.

Likewise the earlier 2x10 Vibraverb reissues were much more dynamic sounding to my ears than the CVR.

If, as you say, the circuits are that much alike between these earlier reissues and the CVR, I can only guess that there might be a difference in output transformers.

17. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I had a CVR in the mid 90's and it was every bit as noisy as people say. If I were in the market for a Vibrolux today I'd look for a silverface.

If the amp absolutely must be brand new, look at one of the smaller builders. I understand Allen builds a very nice one.

18. tlpruitt

tlpruitt Member

The 59 Bassman does have a negative feedback loop. The 2x10 63 Vibroverb reissue also has a negative feedback loop.

The 63 also came with ceramic speakers and the CVR comes with alnico speakers.

The negative feedback loop helps reduce high end (including "hiss") through phase cancellation. Some amps can hiss excessively without any, or enough, negative feedback.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  19. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

But removing it gives it some balls. I had a Pro Reverb that Guytron added a pot to adjust the neg feedback. I think that is what makes the CVR so gnarly for a Fender.

20. tlpruitt

tlpruitt Member

Reducing negative feedback sounds great with some amps. It can add balls and loosen up the low end (sometimes too much) but it can also add a significant amount of noise and hiss in some amps. It is a trade off really. That's one of the benefits of using pot to control the amount of negative feedback as opposed to just having no negative feedback at all. With a pot you can adjust the amount of negative feedback and even at the extreme setting you still have a small amount of negative feedback to keep things from getting too loose and noisy.