• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Fender Custom Vibrolux Volume

GV Quinn

Hi Guys,

Just got a Custom Vibrolux from the 90s. Sounds great, but it sure is loud!

Is there anything that one can do to make the volume not jump so fast from 1 - 3?

I know it's a 40watt amp, but the volume would be great if there wasn't such a sudden leap in volume. There's the JHS black amp box, but this is a no-go as there's no effects loop with this amp at all.

I know people talk about attenuators, this is something that I'm looking into, but I understand that they're more suited to bring high volumes down from louder to less loud.

How about a master volume option?

Any experience would be a great help!

willie k

Gold Supporting Member
I had a Marshall that was like that. I replaced the volume pot with one with an audio taper. Problem solved. No more silence to loud by a fractional adjustment.

GV Quinn

I had a Marshall that was like that. I replaced the volume pot with one with an audio taper. Problem solved. No more silence to loud by a fractional adjustment.
Thanks for the response, was it a simple and easy fix?

GV Quinn

Try a 5751 in V1 (Normal) or a 5751 in V2 (Bright) channel to lower some gain.

Thanks for the response, I did that before with an amp that was too gainy, but this amp is clean only, there's no OD or whatever, I did find it decreased gain, but in a clean amp does that translate to 'less loud'? I'm shamefully clueless about amps.

willie k

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the response, was it a simple and easy fix?
That depends. I ordered a pot of the same ohm value, but with an audio taper. If you can solder, and can read the ohm value stamped on the pot then no problem. Nothing else to change or tweak. I was glad I changed it.

saltbird

I've been looking into grabbing one of these since there's one being sold locally for way under market value. I don't need another amp and I already have a 68 Custom Vibrolux (which is quite a bit different from what I gather), but it's mint condition and is such a good deal I fear I'll regret not jumping on it.

In regards to OP's inquiry, I've always felt that the second input is underrated on Fender amps. Even with low output single coils it almost invariably sounds better to me at lower volumes than plugging into input 1 and turning the volume down. From my experience, most blackface Fender amps seem to leave a bit to be desired when the volume is below ~4, so if that's too loud, I recommend seeing how input 2 sounds first before cutting the volume more. The results might surprise you.

GV Quinn

Yeah
In regards to OP's inquiry, I've always felt that the second input is underrated on Fender amps. Even with low output single coils it almost invariably sounds better to me at lower volumes than plugging into input 1 and turning the volume down.
This is what I've come to realise, this is good.

I'm using the Friedman BE overdrive, I think the headroom isn't as high as other Fender amps. It seems to be overdriving the midrange, it's hard to tweak this pedal to sound good in the Fender amp.

I'm looking at some of the mods that you can do, Fromel and such, increase the headroom there maybe.

saltbird

Yeah

This is what I've come to realise, this is good.

I'm using the Friedman BE overdrive, I think the headroom isn't as high as other Fender amps. It seems to be overdriving the midrange, it's hard to tweak this pedal to sound good in the Fender amp.

I'm looking at some of the mods that you can do, Fromel and such, increase the headroom there maybe.
My understanding is that it sounds closer to a tweed than traditional blackface Fenders so I would certainly expect that overdriven midrange thing that tweeds tend to exhibit.

It seems like just about every Fender amp works better with different types of overdrive pedals for various reasons, which is why I've learned to never make broad generalizations about what dirt pedals I like or dislike. An overdrive with flubby congested mids might all of a sudden become exactly what the doctor ordered when you plug it into a more scooped amp, or a flatter drive that disappears in the mix might become the soloist's secret weapon when used with a more mid-forward amp. It all comes down to the larger picture. The latter example might be what you consider trying with this Vibrolux that's pushing more mids.

Like mixing audio, good electric guitar tone is usually all about balance. Too much or too little of anything is when we run into issues. This might seem rather obvious but sometimes we can lose sight of it when our ears are narrowly focusing in on one part of it.

woof*

They are great amps. Put a pair of low power 10’s like WS Veterans, get a plexi shield.

GV Quinn

They are great amps. Put a pair of low power 10’s like WS Veterans, get a plexi shield.
Ok, so the idea with the low power speaker is it takes more power to get it going, ends up being 'less powerful'? Sounds like a nice idea for clean tones, certain applications.

This amp has the 'Ruby Loudspeakers' 10" in it, which I belive was an 'upgrade' but that's one opinion. It sounds good, speakers sound good.

Jon C

Silver Supporting Member
My understanding is that it sounds closer to a tweed than traditional blackface Fenders so I would certainly expect that overdriven midrange thing that tweeds tend to exhibit.

It seems like just about every Fender amp works better with different types of overdrive pedals for various reasons, which is why I've learned to never make broad generalizations about what dirt pedals I like or dislike. An overdrive with flubby congested mids might all of a sudden become exactly what the doctor ordered when you plug it into a more scooped amp, or a flatter drive that disappears in the mix might become the soloist's secret weapon when used with a more mid-forward amp. It all comes down to the larger picture. The latter example might be what you consider trying with this Vibrolux that's pushing more mids.

Like mixing audio, good electric guitar tone is usually all about balance. Too much or too little of anything is when we run into issues. This might seem rather obvious but sometimes we can lose sight of it when our ears are narrowly focusing in on one part of it.

[…]
the CVRs I’ve played and owned definitely did NOT sound like tweeds. :dunno :YinYang

saltbird

the CVRs I’ve played and owned definitely did NOT sound like tweeds. :dunno :YinYang
I poorly worded that. They sound more tweed-like than blackface Fenders do since they're pushing more mids. Not that they sound like a tweed in a general sense, but that they're a step or two in that direction while still for the most part landing in the black panel tone camp—or to word it another way, they sound closer to a tweed than a vintage Vibrolux Reverb does.

GV Quinn

I poorly worded that. They sound more tweed-like than blackface Fenders do since they're pushing more mids. Not that they sound like a tweed in a general sense, but that they're a step or two in that direction while still for the most part landing in the black panel tone camp—or to word it another way, they sound closer to a tweed than a vintage Vibrolux Reverb does.
More like a brownface so...?

woof*

Ok, so the idea with the low power speaker is it takes more power to get it going, ends up being 'less powerful'? Sounds like a nice idea for clean tones, certain applications.

This amp has the 'Ruby Loudspeakers' 10" in it, which I belive was an 'upgrade' but that's one opinion. It sounds good, speakers sound good.
The veterans are low power less efficient speakers. You can get the amp singing at a lower volume.

Jon C

Silver Supporting Member
well … ok, I would not have referenced tweed (CCR doesn’t much remind me of tweeds I know), but we each have a [different] frame of reference. :cool:

saltbird

well … ok, I would not have referenced tweed (CCR doesn’t much remind me of tweeds I know), but we each have a [different] frame of reference. :cool:
Well I did because it makes more sense than comparing it to a Vox or Marshall or really anything else. With Fender amps, I've always seen two ends of a spectrum: Mid pushed tweeds on one end and scooped blackfaces on the other. The CVR has more mids than blackfaces (or any blackface I've tried) so it's a step closer to tweeds, which is not to say that's closer to a tweed in general or even that it sounds like a tweed, but it's closer to a tweed compared to other black panel Fenders. That's all I'm saying. I wouldn't read into it too much. ;)

Jon C

Silver Supporting Member
Well I did because it makes more sense than comparing it to a Vox or Marshall or really anything else. With Fender amps, I've always seen two ends of a spectrum: Mid pushed tweeds on one end and scooped blackfaces on the other. The CVR has more mids than blackfaces (or any blackface I've tried) so it's a step closer to tweeds, which is not to say that's closer to a tweed in general or even that it sounds like a tweed, but it's closer to a tweed compared to other black panel Fenders. That's all I'm saying. I wouldn't read into it too much. ;)
i didn’t read much into other than as an inapt comparison (as one who owns and plays tweeds, Brown Fenders, a BF VR, a SF VR, and owned a couple of CVRs).

“Tweed” isn’t the word I’d use and I’d be very disappointed buying a CVR expecting any real tweed in there….. but of course ymmv.

Top Bottom