Fender Cyber Deluxe speaker upgrade

pbognar

I've got a Fender Cyber Deluxe and I'm looking to upgrade the speaker to:

a) Get a little more volume

b) Improve the sound by attenuating a certain harsh high frequency, while still providing or improving the classic Fender clean chime

Any speaker suggestions?

Right now, I'm using it as a clean Fender platform for a multi-effects unit and it's portable and works well - just need a little less harshness and a bit more volume.

eriwebnerr

In terms of "more volume" there might be two ways to go about this. First, look at speaker efficiency. You can sometimes get another 3db just by getting a more efficient but similar speaker. Eminence has some very efficient speakers and some good tone guides.
Second, might be perceived volume - if you get a speaker that has a more pushed or pronounced midrange it may seem a bit louder than one with a more subdued midrange.

I used to own this amp, but never tried a speaker swap. I do however use 1x12 cabs with modelers a lot. I have had good results with a Jensen Neo-100 and a Celestion V-type (the new "value" priced one).

These are both relatively "honest" speakers that tame the highs you mention. Each has it's own accent (British / American). The Jensen Neo-100 has been replaced by the Tornado which seems to have more highs and the mids are a bit more subdued. I prefer the Neo-100 - its a more balanced speaker and it has enough highs without being harsh.

The V-type has a very open and almost pushed midrange - I would say it sounds like like a Vintage 30 blended with a G12-H30. It has the mids of the V30 without the compression or upper mid spike and the open low and high end of the H30.

It can be a challenge finding the right speaker with a modeling amp because if the speaker imparts too much character you can lose certain types of tones all together. But if it doesn't have enough character, it can make the amp sound sterile. I like "balanced" speakers with a regional accent personally.

You might also want to check out the Electro-Voice EVM-12L. Expensive and heavy, but indestructible, loud, and balanced.

Let us know how it goes!

pbognar

In terms of "more volume" there might be two ways to go about this. First, look at speaker efficiency. You can sometimes get another 3db just by getting a more efficient but similar speaker. Eminence has some very efficient speakers and some good tone guides.
Second, might be perceived volume - if you get a speaker that has a more pushed or pronounced midrange it may seem a bit louder than one with a more subdued midrange.

I used to own this amp, but never tried a speaker swap. I do however use 1x12 cabs with modelers a lot. I have had good results with a Jensen Neo-100 and a Celestion V-type (the new "value" priced one).

These are both relatively "honest" speakers that tame the highs you mention. Each has it's own accent (British / American). The Jensen Neo-100 has been replaced by the Tornado which seems to have more highs and the mids are a bit more subdued. I prefer the Neo-100 - its a more balanced speaker and it has enough highs without being harsh.

The V-type has a very open and almost pushed midrange - I would say it sounds like like a Vintage 30 blended with a G12-H30. It has the mids of the V30 without the compression or upper mid spike and the open low and high end of the H30.

It can be a challenge finding the right speaker with a modeling amp because if the speaker imparts too much character you can lose certain types of tones all together. But if it doesn't have enough character, it can make the amp sound sterile. I like "balanced" speakers with a regional accent personally.

You might also want to check out the Electro-Voice EVM-12L. Expensive and heavy, but indestructible, loud, and balanced.

Let us know how it goes!
Thanks for the recommendations.

I was looking for something with a bit more sensitivity than the Celestion G12T-100 which I believe is 97db. I'm sure Fender tuned the amp for use with the stock speaker, so i wouldn't want to move too far away from the tone profile of the stock speaker.

I don't believe the stock speaker is the same G12T-100 being offered by Celestion today.

eriwebnerr

I just listened to demos of that amp again and I was surprised at how BRIGHT it is!
I would bet that you would have good success with the speakers that a lot of guys use for the Super Champ XD - I think the Ragin' Cajun and Red White and Blues are popular choices.

Fender uses a Celestion G12P-80 with the Super Champ X2. And the V-type Celestion I mentioned above is used with the new '68 "Vintage Modified".

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
One of the amps I use for modellng is a Tech21 power engine. I put in an Eminence Delta Pro speaker and have been very happy with it.. It's their version of an EVM but warmer.. IMHO. Very neutral in sound but also very heavy physically... Added a lot of weight to the PE. It's also very loud and efficient .

pbognar

About 2 years ago, I replaced the factory Celestion G12T-100 with a V30. There was an increase in volume and bass.

Today I was playing around with the amp, trying to tweak my main clean sound, and on a whim I reinstalled the G12T-100.

I was able to once again get nice Fender tones. HAH !!!

Maybe Fender knew what they were doing...

pbognar

Yeah yeah, I still have the Fender CD.

Has anyone tried a G12P-80, V-type Celestion or any WGS speaker (ET90, ET65) in it to make it a better all around amp with an emphasis on clean Fender sounds?

I'm still trying to take some of the shrillness while retaining chime.

Guitardave

Yeah yeah, I still have the Fender CD.

Has anyone tried a G12P-80, V-type Celestion or any WGS speaker (ET90, ET65) in it to make it a better all around amp with an emphasis on clean Fender sounds?

I'm still trying to take some of the shrillness while retaining chime.
Jensen c12k. It's what they use in the current twin and deluxe amps.

Trending Topics