Fender DDRI stock vs modded

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by turtleboy3, May 26, 2015.

1. turtleboy3

turtleboy3 Member

I m really loving this amp stock and im always using the vibrato channel with overdrive fuzzes and dist. I really dont know why a lot of people mod it to make it sound better. Some people say that the vibrato channel is too shrill with dirt pedals but to my ears it sounds great. Is there anyone here who love this amp stock?
    To others, any reasons why you modded yours?

2. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

Stop wondering. If you love the amp. No need to wonder about mods. Starting this thread will only cost you $$ and confusion. :)

supergenius365 and petrip like this.
  3. jota

jota Member

It really depends on the volume you play it.
    When I first got mine I was using it at home only and the drives always sounded fizzy.
    Was only when I searched on the net that I found it was a common problem and there was a fix to it!
    If you like how it sounds, forget about mods and play the damn thing.

4. yell03

yell03 Member

I love my DRRI as is, even the Vibrato channel with pedals.

I must admit, I recently ordered a Reverb Pedal for the Normal channel if I feel I am getting too much fizz on the Vibrato channel with my gain pedals, but you can't beat the clean tone of the vibrato channel as is.

5. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Some good advice right there.

guitarpedaladdict likes this.
  6. sants

sants Supporting Member

I did a few mods on mine and ended up going back to stock.

Bright cap, reverb on normal channel, etc. the only thing I've kept I the c-Rex speaker. I was going to have it handwired but after a-b mine with a handwired it wasn't worth it to me. The handwired may have sounded slightly better but I'd rather buy a different amp or vintage.

All in all, I feel the reissue fender amps sound great across the board but I would never pay retail for them. Used is the way to go.

7. turtleboy3

turtleboy3 Member

Thanks for the inputs guys, if im going to change the speaker, what speakers would you guys recommend? And what improvements will it give?
    Which ones did you like best and the ones you did not.

8. tamader74

tamader74 Supporting Member

What fuzzface posted about these sez it all,...I tried and made WAY to big a deal on how to get this last one I have to get it 'right' for me,...and in the end all I really did was upgrade the original tubes, and every other little thing was just a waste of my energy (I've made several post on this last one).

I've had 3 of these, the first one was blah,...a real bland amp. with NO Soul,...the second one was the newer, more correct size to these, it was a GREAT amp. right out of the box!!! (sold it to pay Medical bill's),...this last one I sold and bought back and swore it wasn't gonna' beat my hard headed hillbilly a$$,...when I look back IF I had just swapped out the tubes, and got a PROPER bias right off (Fender tends to send their amp's out a bit hot), I would have been happy.

I've stated I'm not a huge fan of these stock speakers,...but I use a Full-Tone II (pre-mosfet) when using the amp. at least even when I don't use my pedal board...I use JUST the boost side using the tone knob as a contour/slave like a Mid. if you will, with that pedal it makes the speaker acceptable (OK, pretty nice...my Gretsch 6118 120th anniversary loves it).

You do have to realize speakers HAVE to have a break-in period before you do anything like swapping them out, all in all these amp's are priced right (what are they new now,...$1100.+/-?), hard to beat for a amp. with a full 5 year transferable warranty as far as I'm concerned. Tom

9. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

Before you go snipping & soldering, swap out those stock tubes ASAP. You might find that to suffice.

10. DexterT

DexterT Member

I clipped the bright cap on the vibrato cha nnel and added a push pull bright switch on the treble knob. I too experienced the fizziness and i didnt like it. Now i have the best of both. Aside from a speaker swap thats all i did to mine and i love it. The amp is awesome stock though. Use your ears if it sounds good it is good.

11. turtleboy3

turtleboy3 Member

What happens to the sound if the bright cap is clipped?

12. DexterT

DexterT Member

It makes the vibrato channel sound like the normal channel. Plug your dirt into the normal channel. It wont sound fizzy. So with the bright cap clipped you wont get any fizziness on the vibrato channel.

13. turtleboy3

turtleboy3 Member

Both channels would sound identical with the bright cap?

14. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

That's not entirely true. The bright cap just allows some of the high frequencies to bypass the volume knob, so at lower volume, you get a brighter tone. At full volume, the bright cap is completely removed from the circuit. However, the two channels are still far from identical. The vibrato channel still has an extra gain stage in it as well as different value coupling caps and such. The normal channel will still pass more bass at the same EQ settings. They'll be more similar for sure, but far from identical.

candid_x likes this.
  15. DexterT

DexterT Member

Thanks for the clarification. For my purposes i wanted my drive pedals to sound like they did on the normal channel at lower volumes and clipping the bright cap did the trick.

16. Funky54

Funky54 Member

I needed to replace my 67 BFSR due to weight. I hated several DRRI's I tried at stores. I couldn't stand the reverb or lack of chime and depth.

I gave up on them and kept searching. Finally I saw on Craigslist one real cheap and I thought I'd go hear it and see.. Thinking maybe this mod business might be worth while since it was so cheap.

I love it. Had it over two years now. It was in pristine condition with two sets of brand new tubes, foot pedal and amp cover. It was already modded.

It has new Mercury trannies, caps, Fritz mod, bright cap I did clip. Lots of other mods. I don't know what mods made what differences but it sound so much better than the stock ones. It still has the stock speaker. Got it for $400 or $500 can't remember now.

I played that 67 BFSR for over twenty years... I don't even miss it now. Even though the side by side comparisons showed real differences the truth is the DRRI is better for me from many angles.

17. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

My stock DRRI is just fine for me. I bought it used here on TGP and I haven't done a thing to it. I think it has JJ's? It's gigged like a champ from the moment it arrived.

18. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Just had this conversation this afternoon. So many mods mentioned online that you become insecure about the amp before you really play it. If you like it, stop wondering and start playing.

19. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

I just replaced the stock Jensen with a Cannibis Rex. The mod the amp needed IMHO.

20. camilok

camilok Member

I got a used head on eBay pretty cheap. Then went nuts and did the full Fromel mods and replaced the three transformers and choke with Mercury magnetics iron.

Just finished and turned it on for the first time (post mods) a few hours ago, and am pleased as could be. Now that it's fired up and did not explode, catch fire, or electrocute me, I will replace the stock tubes and then I will be content.