Fender Deluxe cap values

facon

Around two years ago I took my '55 Fender Deluxe 5D3 in for a recap. The tech I took it to is supposed to be well known for his work on vintage Fenders. One thing that I find curious is the he replaced the three 25uF/25V caps with 33uf/50V caps. He said that he found them to be closer to the old electrolytics than newer 25uF caps.

Has anybody heard of this? Can somebody explain what kind of difference I would hear if I swapped them back to the original 25uF?

wyatt

Cathode bypass caps? I doubt you would notice a thing between 25uF and 33uF. By the time you reach 25uF, there isn't much change in rolloff.

pdf64

Electrolytics tend to drift up in value as they age (also the equivalent series resistance and leakage current increases); my guess is that because the old caps measure higher with a simple meter, then your tech thought that they should be replaced with ones of a value close to their measured value, rather than to spec.
Pete

Prattacaster

Electrolytics tend to drift up in value as they age (also the equivalent series resistance and leakage current increases); my guess is that because the old caps measure higher with a simple meter, then your tech thought that they should be replaced with ones of a value close to their measured value, rather than to spec.
Agreed. There are instances a tech might do this. If a player really loves the tone of his amp but the amp need an update, then this is good practice, IMO.

phsyconoodler

I doubt that. More likely the tech assumes that the 33uf caps are closer to the old 25uf caps just by one random measurement. I have never used larger that 25uf caps and never noticed any tone change from the stock amps.
I say another old wives tale.And after checking umpteen dozen Fender electrolytics I have yet to find any that have drifted up in value.

Trending Topics