Fender Deluxe/Deville bottom end....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Darth Tater, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

How would you rate the amount of bass punch from the Deville and Deluxe amps?

I tried a Deville 4x10 and it had zero bottom end, but sounded great through a 2x12 open back cabinet. Man that 2x12 made it really spank!

So I'd like to have a similar amp, and I had thought about getting the Hot Rod Deluxe for portability if I want to take it somewhere then just getting a 2x12 for it for playing at home. But then I thought maybe a Deville 2x12 might just have the punch of a 2x12 cabinet so if I get that one I might not need the cabinet.

So I guess what I'm getting at is, does the Deville 2x12 have the spank and punch of a seperate 2x12 cabinet? What bout the Hot Rod Deluxe?

2. tastylicks

tastylicks Supporting Member

I have a HR Deville 2x12 combo (open back). It is very, very bassy. Very nice cleans, though people sometimes say that it is too bassy. I personally like it. My understanding is that the Deville circuit is what gives the bass so much emphasis. Speaker techs from Eminence concurred and various posts on this board have also indicated as much. Maybe the speakers in the 4x10 you played thru cut out some of the bottom end.

3. Darth Tater

Oh definitely. The Deville 410 by itself had zero bottom end. Nothing. Even tried another one in the store with the same result so I guess it's just the 10" speaker setup that has no bottom. Although I wish I could have cranked that other one up at the store. At low volumes it didn't sound different.

But plugging that same amp into my 2x12 was killer with tons of bottom. Very nice. Sounds like the 2x12 Deville might be the way to go, I'd like to hear how the Deluxe is though. I actually prefer it's smaller size and less power.

4. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I've played through a HRD 2x12 a bunch of times and they have plenty of punch. The 4x10's I've played through were more like Supers...big open bright sound. The 2x12 has more bass, and is warmer.

5. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Something was wrong. I have 4/10 Deville, and it has a bit more bass than my 66 Pro reverb, Vibroluxe reverb, and old Bassman RI. It is very close to my Two Rock E.Pro and Brunos as well. I had a 2/12 HR Deville, and it had SLIGHTLY more VERY bottom than the 4/10, but I liked the tighter punch of the 4/10. I have pluged mine into various 2/12s, and 4/12s, and the bass does not change all that much.

6. nland

nland Member

I had a 212 Deville and never saw a problem with not enough bottom end. In fact, the Fender manuals always recommend rolling back the bass on the Devilles when getting into power amp distortion as there might be too much bass. I thought the Deville was a great amp, unfortunately too loud for my basement.

7. Darth Tater

I wonder what could have been wrong with them? These were both 'new' amps on the floor at Guitar Center, although the one I returned is still there on the floor so there's no telling what they actually went through. Hell when I got it home I realized that one tube wasn't even working. I had to crack it open and SOLDER the tube socket where they failed to do that at the Mexican factory.

8. tweedcab

tweedcab Supporting Member

Why wouldn't you just return it instead of soldering the socket? Then you returned it when, had this been discovered, they might have refused your return. Risky, but glad it worked out for you. Regarding my '96 4x10 Deville. There is definitely NO LACK of bottom on the amp. Very punchy and a lot of bass. Either you tried two duds or there is something different in the newer amps.

9. Gear91

Gear91 Supporting Member

Bizarre. My 4x10 DeVille has very nice bottom end--one of its strengths in my opinion.

10. Darth Tater

I fixed it because I wanted to hear the amp the way it was supposed to be heard..with both tubes! Not sure how they could have ever figured out that I fixed it. "Hey, this ain't Mexican solder on here! What are you trying to pull?!?!?" :crazy

I'm going to visit some other shops when I get a chance and check them out again. BUT one thing I also didn't like about the DeVille 4x10 is that the amp itself made more noise than the guitar signal did. Grille cloth flapping, things rattling, air coming out of every crack...another reason I didn't keep it. Sounded phenomenal plugged into my Soldano 2x12 though after I fixed the tube socket, so maybe those two DeVilles were just ragged out.

11. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

My Blues DeVille sounds absolutely sweet, but stock tubes were crappy!

12. Tag

Lets see...one tube was not working, but you could not tell that when you tried TWO of them at GC. Both amps were rattling all over the place, and you did not notice that at GC either. (You STILL bought it home with you.) Yea....OK. :NUTS

13. Darth Tater

Nope. There's a big difference in 'store playing' and 'real world' playing. See you can't crank an amp up all the way in the store. It's only when you get it to the house or on the stage when you unleash the volume. See a tube amp sounds better when you TURN IT UP. Also rattling and stuff does not happen until you crank it also because the louder it is, the more air the speaker move and stuff starts to vibrate and flap around. I don't know if the other Deville they had flapped and vibrated, I just assumed they were all made with the same wood and grille cloth and were constructed bascially the same. Are they not?

So yes, in the store they sounded fine. Sounded good enough for me to take one home. But under real world conditions these little things are revealed.

So now who's :NUTS ?

14. Darth Tater

Were they Groove Tubes? That's what was in the Deville I had, but on further inspection they were just Sovteks with a GT logo on them. Same tubes that are in my Soldano amps (without the GT logo of course) so they should be fine.

15. Tag

Nice try. Lets see.... It had NO bass, but that did not matter... One tube was not working, but with your keen ear, you could not tell that either... Oh, let me guess...the cheap chinese construction was probably to blame, and it broke on the way home. Lets get real. :rolleyes:

16. Darth Tater

You don't seem to be able to understand. Guitar Center is not the place to crank and test drive an amp. This needs to be done at home, or somewhere you can crank the amp up to it's full potential. So no, at Guitar Center, with the volume below 1 I could not tell that it was only on 1 tube and it certainly had more bottom end than the 1x10 and 1x12 amps sitting next to it, at least at that low volume.

Got it home...not a lot of bottom end. Not what I expected anyway. Certainly not as much as my Soldano 2x12 and about the same as my Vox 1x12. Maybe, as folks here say, the Fender tubes are crap. So I grab a new pair off the shelf and pull the Fender tubes out...when I notice one is dead cold. Ahh..bad tube. New tubes in..one still not lighting up. Pull back off..socket not soldered. Soldered it, buttoned it back up, both tubes going. Amp a little stronger. Much better. Still not as much as I expected from a 4x10. Not a lot of low end. Plug into my 2x12...ahh...sweet low end. Guess the 4x10 is not for me. Taking it back. That's it. What's so hard about that?

17. Gear91

Gear91 Supporting Member

For the record, I have had my 4x10 DeVille for about four years and never had any rattle or any problems with it--its been an extremely reliable amp. My only beef with it is the drive channel, which I don't really use. I think you got saddled with a bum DeVille. There's got to be an issue with the speakers if you're not getting any bottem end. Definitely take it back (if you can . . . would have been best if you hadn't done any work on it, although very understandable).

18. Darth Tater

Oh I took it back on the 29th day of the 30 day window :)

I played it through my 2x12 until it was time to return it, sounded great through an external cab.

In the future I'm going to try another DeVille from another dealer.

19. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

Regarding the stock tubes, yes they were GT branded Sovtek tubes. However, they were 5881's and they tend to put out about 20% less than 6L6's and the JJ's sounded more robust and fatter and the overdrive character was much better IMO.

I have those tubes in my 40 watt Blues Deluxe and they sound fine but in a 60 watt amp I'd rather have the 6L6's.

20. Darth Tater

Cool. I'm going to try out a Blues Deluxe, too. It's probably more what I actually need..smaller, less power.