Fender Deluxe MIM P bass OR Ibanez Soundgear sr405?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by leej1019, Jan 31, 2012.

1. leej1019

leej1019 Member

Same price but I have the option right now. Both come with cases.
    The P bass is the bass with two pickups and a J bass neck. The Ibanez has been slightly modded, in what regard I do not know.
    Which bass should I get?

I play more groove stuff, not much slapping.

2. V-Type

V-Type Member

I just got rid of my Ibanez 305a. Pretty similar too the 405 in many respects.
    It was a good bass but the active circuits ate batteries at a stupid high rate.
    I also found a MIM Precision with a maple neck and Duncan Basslines and the difference for me was night and day.
    The neck shape and over all feel of the Fender was what pushed me too sell my 305a and keep the Fender.
    Im a guitarist first and a bassist second but do have a gig were I am the bassist.
    Actually better pay and gig than my guitar job.
    Go figure.

3. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

The Fender bass is the original; the prototype for all bass guitarage and some long-proven sh*t. The Ibenez is, well...something else entirely. Everyone's parameters are different, but I'd get a job at Walmart before I'd gig on a Ibunez bass.

4. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

I love Ibanez instruments in general - very high quality - but in this case I would go for the Fender. Especially if it speaks to you when you work out on it. I assume the pickups are P-J - very versatile combo - and the Jazz neck is lithe and wonderful.

5. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

I have had a fair amount of experience with the Soundgear Ibbys. They are decent and can play well and feel good. Their sound (with the rectangular black humbuckers, Ibanez or Barts) is pretty generic. We could NOT get them to record well.
    A Fender with P/Js would be my choice of the 2. P/J is a great pickup combo and the jazz neck is great.

6. BluesyCat

BluesyCat Staff Reviewer Bass Gear Magazine Silver Supporting Member

How about the Fender Deluxe Active Special P/J 4? It's pretty awesome for the price! (I have one and it has great tone and playability is really nice. For an MIM, it has some pretty nice tones.)

They look like this, come in red, black, white, etc.
    [​IMG]

Edit: removed the picture of mine since the thread was derailed and the post was irrelevant to the original post.

Really, a PJ is an extremely versatile bass. Try one!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  7. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

Oh,...it DID look cool!