Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Lonestar Boogie, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Lonestar Boogie

Lonestar Boogie Member

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. Hound Dog61

Hound Dog61 Member

I have the red one with a maple neck. I like the guitar a lot, but I can't really compare it to a standard MIM since I have never played one. The bridge pickup quit working after about a year and I replaced it with a seymour duncan Jerry Donahue. My only complaints are the electronics seem cheap and I am not a fan of the Tex-Mex pickups. I don't mind the middle one, but the neck pickup just seems dull to me. Other than that it plays great and I think it looks good too. I have received compliments on the sound of it, so I guess the pickups aren't too bad. Since you are considering replacement pickups, it might be what you are looking for. I have seen them for 375.00 on CL 'round these parts.

3. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

I owned a red one, it was my second electric ever. I loved it, of course i upgraded the heck out of it. I added a callaham bridge and had a vintage stack in the bridge along with a texas hot neck pickup and alnico II mid. You can sub in a strat pickup for the neck. I think the necks are nicer than the standards with a better feel to the fret edges and board in particular. I don't care for the satin finish on the standards, it feels gritty to me.

If anyone has seen my tele N Dlx i will buy it back. :(

4. Lemonhand

Lemonhand Member

I owned for a while a few years ago. I didn't think that much of it...it just sort of felt cheap all the way around. $375 sounds like the right price for one of them.

5. mediocreplayer

mediocreplayer Member

It is my only electric guitar. You add a setting to get the bridge+neck as in a regular Tele and there is no reason to have any more guitars.

I have a somewhat rare one, ash body with amber finish, like this one:

[​IMG]

6. Lonestar Boogie

Lonestar Boogie Member

The blonde Nashville Teles come in ash. All the other ones come in Alder. I was wondering about the Neck/Bridge setting. Is that a really preferred Tele sound, with both neck and bridge on? I guess that would be selector position 2 on a standard Tele. Which position did you put it in on yours? This was something I was thinking I might want to do.

Beautiful guitar, btw!

7. The Illustrated Bassist

The Illustrated Bassist Member

I played one yesterday... before I decided to drop the cash on an American Standard instead.

I have two MIM Standards. I think the Nashville is a bit of an improvement over a MIM Standard, but the pickups lack subtlety IMHO (and I played it through one of the same amps I have at home - a Hot Rod Deluxe). They are nice, and bright, and LOUD, and if that's what you want, the guitar is a decent value. I found it, though, like many Tele variations, as a compromise that feels more like a Partscaster with a Fender name on it.

There's nothing *wrong* with that, I'm a Tele guy (and glad that I upgraded to a nicer Tele), but I think for the price you could put together a Partscaster that would have the pickups you want in it.

The one I played was a blonde and the craftsmanship was decent. Interestingly, since I was at a GC it had been hardly played at all. It was like people were afraid to touch it because it had the word "Nashville" on it (but hey, I live in California, so go figure).

But its still a MIM Tele, which means it has its limitations. Until I got my American Standard, I thought the MIM Teles were good - and they are for the price, and I've got two guitars I can take anywhere with me and if they get ripped or damaged, I'm not going to freakout. But an American Tele has more quality throughout - you have to play MIMs for a while and then get an American to appreciate the difference. If you buy a MIM new - by the time you invest in a set-up job (if you don't do your own) and drop $$$ on pickups, you're getting close to the price of an American Tele. Again, there's nothing wrong with mods or putting together what you want in an existing model, but guitars seem to sell or trade better if you keep them original.

My MIM Teles sound good. My American Standard, quite frankly, blows both of them away. More power, more ring, the shielding is better, the wood is better, the neck, fit, finish, hardware, electronics - all better. You get what you pay for. I played a '52 reissue yesterday as well, and if I could've brought myself to drop that kind of money, I would have bought that instead - it was a beautifully crafted and sounding guitar.

All that said, the Nashville Tele is a good value, especially used, but its not going to outperform an American Standard Tele or Strat in sound and quality.

I'm going to hang onto my MIMs - I have a 12 year old son and 10 year old daughter who have had beginning guitar classes in summer school, and these will be good instruments for them when they get a little older and more interested in playing guitar - and I'll get a second American Standard eventually. Or, if they don't get interested, they'll be converted to cash for my next American Standard.

8. Hound Dog61

Hound Dog61 Member

The new ones are different from the older models. I played a newer one at GC, I think it was blonde with a maple neck, through a Hot Rod Deluxe and I thought the pickups sounded much better than mine. But, I thought mine felt like a much better instrument, if that makes sense. Just my experience.

9. Lonestar Boogie

Lonestar Boogie Member

There are three GC's within driving distance of me, and they all have the blonde with the maple in stock. I think I will have to swing by and play one though a Lonestar (which they usually have there, also.)

I hear what you say about quality, and it very well may be true. But I've played Squire Strats that felt as solid to me as my American Standard Strat. I think the body and neck wise, its the same wood cut to the same specifications on the same equipment, just in a different country.

My main interest in getting the guitar is to drop the Callaham pickups, and as much of their hardware into the guitar as possible. I wouldn't even consider doing that with an American Standard Tele. You are spending the extra money for better/updated hardware and much better pickups with the American models. So it wouldn't make sense to me to drop $1,100 and then pour another $500 into it. I'm not touching the hardware or electronics on my Strat for that very reason.

These MIM and Squire guitars were made to be modified and upgraded. This will probably be the one guitar I have that I can tinker with and upgrade with some premier components...if I get it.

10. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

I know I'd like to get my hands on a red one with a bound top and tummy cut!
    How are the necks on these? V shaped?

11. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

^ thats the american deluxe version

12. mediocreplayer

mediocreplayer Member

Thank you. For me, the middle setting on a Tele is my favorite. You can make the tone control a push/pull pot that adds the neck pickup to whatever combo is currently selected.

13. Blue Light

Blue Light Member

I have one and love it. Mine is a '98, black with rosewood neck.
    When I was shopping for a Tele the Nashville was markedly higher quality than the MIM Standard. Far, far better neck, etc. And it just felt better, not to mention the option of the 3 pups. Am not sure if Standards are better now than they used to be. I just like the 3 pups so much I wouldn't have any other kind of Tele.

At the time I was torn between the Nashville and an American, and felt that the neck on the American was even nicer.

I agree with the others that the TexMex neck pup is bland. For the last year I've been mulling whether to put in a Lace Sensor, a Lil 59, or (the ultimate) a fullsize Seth Lover in the neck.
    When the neck and the middle are blended together, everything's hunky-dory.
    The bridge needs a little gain to wake it up.

Its only Fender rival is the Baja.
    Then there's G&L, which makes a few serious competitors.

14. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

I bought one with a Fishman Powerbridge used about 6 years ago. I like it but I had to mod it a bit to get it there (pic below is pre-mods). I was somewhat disappointed to find out the finish is a veneer. I'm not really a tele guy anyway.

[​IMG]

15. Lonestar Boogie

Lonestar Boogie Member

A veneer finish? Are they all like that? I'm not sure if I like that. It doesn't kill it. I still need to play one, probably on Friday.

16. Blue Light

Blue Light Member

Interesting stuff.

17. FireBottle

FireBottle Member

Picture is a bit old…it has a Lollar Special T Bridge and neck with a Blackface middle. I've got a Lollar mini-hum I am going to install in the neck soon. I love this guitar. It can cover all the bases. Loves any amp but the Vic Bassman with a Lovepedal RH and Gainster will most certainly take care of business.

[​IMG]

18. nealpolitan

nealpolitan Member

I have the "power" version (with the Fishman piezos in the saddles). Mine is the best playing tele I've ever had in my hands.

I traded into it a while back thinking I would just flip it on eBay but after playing it, I sold all my other Fenders (a parts tele, a MiM strat, and a Highway One Strat). It's the only F-type I need (I'm not a trem guy).

It's a 2000, so I don't know if the guys that had it before me did any work, but the fit and finish is great and I haven't found a thing wrong with it. I like the Tex Mex pickups just fine (I had a set of Rocketfires that I was going to put in it, but ended up selling those too).

So I guess my recommendation is positive...

19. koni

koni Member

I got a Nashville and a Power Nashville about 6 months ago to replace an old tele that I sold. I got them both off ebay at very reasonable prices. The Nashville was a good guitar but the pickups were sort of bland. The Power Nashville wasn't a very good guitar and I returned it to the seller.
    I upgraded the Nashville with Bill and Becky Lawrence noiseless 200 pickups and a Wilkinson bridge with compensated brass saddles. Also added was push-pull on the tone nob that turned on the bridge pickup so you could get the neck bridge combination and all 3 a once. All that added up to a rock sold killer guitar. Buy used and them modify it to how you want.

20. Blue Light

Blue Light Member

Did that quiet it down? I will admit my Nashville hums like a sonofabitch. I've never ripped it open to add shielding, though. It does make me pine for noiseless pups.