• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

fender deluxe (not reverb)- help me figure it out!

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
i'm borrowing a deluxe clone from a friend and need some info about how to maximize my use out of this puppy. apparently it's rated about 17 watts and has 2 input sections, mic and instrument.

i haven't messed with it too much and am going to give it another shot at practice tonight. the first time i tried it, the SG i was using had too hot pickups so it was breaking up around 4 and not really working for me. i'm going to try something with lower output pups tonight.

what's the deal with the 2 channels with 2 inputs each?
how about this "jumpering" method i'm hearing about?

i need a pretty clean, loud tone out of this thing. nothing sparkly since we're a pretty dirty rock band. i'd just like to get as much volume as possible without too much breakup since i use pedals for dirt.

thanks!

DavidH

Do you have to use pedals for dirt?

A tweed deluxe is a long way from a loud clean pedal platform.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
well i don't know, really. i have been using a huckleberry with my budda sd18. i like having a fuzz around. i'm really just trying to learn about how a deluxe works and then i reckon i'll deal with the pedals.

DavidH

Here you go: http://www.clarkamplification.com/vintage.htm

Use the bright channel, with the normal channel volume on 10, according to this. The two volume knobs are interactive, and turning the unused channel volume up full gives the most scooped setting, which will likely give you the most headroom.

I don't actually own a 5E3, loads of people on here have them though so hopefully some will chime in.

GenoBluzGtr

Platinum Supporting Member
I have had a couple of these (Victoria, SDG), and the two volumes really are interactive in a subtle way, when not bridged. If you want that scooped BF-like tone, turn up the unused volume control to about 7 or 8 and set the volume forthe input you're using to the volume you need. I recommend setting the volume a touch higher and backing off the guitar volume just a bit as well.

Don't forget the tone control as well. It also adds a bit of gain when set to the brighter settings. Keeping that at about 5 or below helps with headroom.

Also, use a 12AY7 in V1.

Trending Topics