1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Fender deluxe reverb filter caps?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by echo44, May 22, 2011.

1. echo44

echo44 Member

Hi
    I have a 1965 pristine blackface DR everything is totally
    original. I have built my own amp kits and probably would have
    no trouble replacing the caps.
    Will this decrease the value? What are the best sounding caps to use
    as replacements? Are there any super high end caps?
    Or should I go with the if it aint broken leave it philosophy?

2. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

If you plan to play it, change the filter caps (if they're the originals). The smaller Cathode bypass and bias (use at least a 50V here) electrolytics should probably be changed as well. The coupling and tone caps should be left as is, unless you don't like how they sound. If that's the case, send them to me. :D

3. WaltC

WaltC Member

to a die hard collector (and there are a few of them <g>), changing anything will affect the value. That said, if you plan to play (which very few die hard collector's do) the amp, then what TweeDLX said is the gospel.

4. mxvin

mxvin Member

change them and keep the old ones.

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Has ANYONE ever re-installed the original caps after, correctly, replacing them?

Analog Kid likes this.
  6. Gene

Gene Member

Well, I was in market for a vintage amp recently and came across a amp that looked to have the original power caps. According to the seller, the caps are new but he had the tech take the paper off the old caps and neatly glue it around the new caps. You had to really look to see that this was indeed the case.

7. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I've heard of that being done. Some folks have more time and/or money than common sense.

8. brad347

brad347 Member

A few points--

there might indeed be some premium value to a time-capsule, all-original piece in mint unplayed condition with original filter caps. I've never seen this proven in the marketplace, but it is conceivable.

However, an amp with original filter caps and a blown power transformer due to capacitor failure would be worth MUCH less than an amp that just had its caps replaced.

Saving the originals in a baggie and having the amp in playable condition seems to satisfy most collectors, even die-hards, in my experience.

If the amp is anything but absolutely mint, unplayed condition, I doubt it would matter much one way or the other in terms of value. In the case of a non-mint amp, I think the one serviced with fresh caps might actually bring more.

If it is in mint, unplayed condition... think of it like an un-driven '69 GTO with original tires, brake pads, wiper blades, plugs/wires, engine coolant, motor oil, and antifreeze. There would surely be some sort of collector appeal there as a historical thing, or whatever, but it would NOT be a daily driver, and to use it as such would be dangerous to the piece as well as the operator of the piece.

That about sums it up.

9. brad347

brad347 Member

as for the second half of your question... lots of people use Sprague Atom capacitors. F&T brand is also good (better, in my opinion, because they're smaller and less overpriced). Any brand with the required voltage rating will "work," but some express a preference for one brand or another because they feel like there are differences in performance. I never use cheap parts, so I wouldn't know one way or the other.

There ARE super-high-end electrolytics out there with brand names like Black Gate. I do not know if they're available in the requisite values and voltage ratings because I've never looked. Some audiophile guys really like these. If I were going to spring for these, maybe I would spring for them as cathode bypass caps. For power supply decoupling, I wouldn't give them a second look absent compelling evidence that they'd really change my life in that application (but that's just me).

10. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I do not understand saving the old caps, and any perceived collector value they could have

11. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

My take is that the real value of those old Blackface amps is in the sound. Kind of silly to have an amp you don't play because the filter caps are 40+ years old.

12. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

But back to the question, Sprague Atoms just look "proper" in a doghouse. They are fine caps and I'll wager that your DR will sound better after you replace the electrolytics.

F&T makes a nice two-section 25+25 cap that replaces the three pairs on a Fender Circuit board...looks kinda like this (this is a 33+33)

[​IMG]

13. wizard333

wizard333 Member

No, it wont hurt the value. Change the dog house caps, the cathode bypass caps, and dont forget the bias filter cap (also remember that one goes in "backwards": positive to ground).

14. parkhead

parkhead Member

A dead mint amp might sell for more but is a real tough sell especially once the amp starts acting up

A great sounding serviced working "example" of an old amp always sells faster and brings more money that a neglected mint amp, or neglected dog

I once had a vintage strat with the original strings on it ... I sold it and got one I could play

If you can't play them they will become our grandchildrens landfill

p

15. brad347

brad347 Member

I don't understand why someone would pay hundreds of thousands for a baseball card, either. I don't understand why anyone would want to collect postage stamps, or frankly, even why someone would buy used Jimi Hendrix guitar strings at auction, either.

But the fact of the matter is, logic notwithstanding, all of these things DO have monetary value (sometimes a lot!) and someone, somewhere, is willing to pay for them. Intrinsic value? Not so much. Our species is weird sometimes. C'est la vie.