Fender Deluxe Reverb .. Good Rock - Blues Amp ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BobboVisMe, Oct 4, 2006.

1. BobboVisMe

BobboVisMe Member

Hey All ..

Been thinking about picking up either an older or reissue Deluxe reverb amp and was just wondering What the Forum thought of them as a gigging rock and blues amp .. Can they compete with the drummer ?? Are the reissue any good and so on ??

2. Tycho

Tycho Member

I've been using a DRRI as my main (occasional) gigging amp for the past three or four years. I'm by no means an expert on amp tone, but I've found that the DRRI is wonderful with regular single-coils and lipstick tube pickups, but a bit more finicky with HBs and P-90s. A dealer I respect a lot told me he doesn't consider them to be the best amp for Les Paul players.

They can definitely compete with drummers, though. I have rarely turned mine past 6 on a gig. (Although I should note that they don't get a lot louder past 6 anyway.)

As I said, though, I'm far from an expert. I'll be interested to hear what others here say.

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I've used a DR for rock gigs for 10 years. I sometimes use a Les Paul. Nothing wrong with a DR as long as you don't crank it past 7 which is enough to scorch the ears of people (and soundmen) directly in it's path.

4. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

the older DR's can be generally great. I'm not a fan of the DRRI's however (big bias alert) similar to FMIC guitars if you search for 'em 1 out of every 20 or so DRRI's can be very good amps...

5. cpsdawg

cpsdawg Member

probably the most used amp on the planet. get one. you'll love it.

6. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Trey Anastasio seems to make them work pretty well.

7. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Good working musicians's amp!

8. Mixoso

Mixoso Silver Supporting Member

I love mine silverface DR. With my Les Paul I find it works much better on input 2...which I believe lowers the input by 3db (??) or something...really helps clear thing things up wiith the LP...I use input 1 with my jazzmaster/tele and LP special with p-90s.

9. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Big fan. Really versatile, you can always find a good tone, and easy to haul around.

Nate D likes this.
  10. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

Been giggin my 98 DRRI many years with a Les Paul and it sounds great. To keep it clean, I just roll the volume down on the Les Paul. I also have 6L6s for the extra headroom. Want it to sing, just roll the volume up.

11. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

It's a great gigging rock and blues amp. They can keep up with any drummer who is listening to the rest of the band. Many people like the reissues and there are a whole bunch of things that you can do to them to make them sound even better; the first is a speaker swap.

stratzrus

12. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

Nothing much better than a good ol' DR in the rock/blues amp category... at low to moderate levels. I think a DR sounds every bit as good with bucker's and P90's as it does with a single coil.

My 67 BFDR is my favorite all-around amp and the perfect desert island amp IMO... the last one to go! ;)

<M

Nate D likes this.
  13. davess23

davess23 Member

My 72 silverface, Weber 12F150 speaker, sounds excellent with LP's, both humbuckers and P-90's, as well as with my Strats. Like Mixoso, I use the second input for the humbucker equipped Lester. Unless you're gigging pretty large venues, a DR should keep up just fine with a drummer.
    IMO, one of the all-time classics, among the best Fender ever made.

14. go7

go7 Member

My AB763 is my favourite giging amp.Enjoy!!

15. BobboVisMe

BobboVisMe Member

I heard a sound clip of a DR with a les paul and some drippy wet verb and it was nice .. but the guy was playin some old wood.. 52 or 54 conversion LP .. How do you guys like the reverb on the DR ?

16. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

Nothing better for my needs.

<M

17. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

they work very well for blues & rock in a band setting. for higher volumes, you might need to mic the amp, though. and if you are interested, I have a Deluxe Reverb type amp for sale. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=178205

18. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

The blackface Deluxe Reverb is one of the classic blues and rock amps of all time. It can compete with the drummer in a lot of situations. We don't have a Deluxe Reverb, we have a '65 Deluxe, which is a pretty similar amp.

19. Robal

Robal Supporting Member

I am probably in the minority. I have a vintage Deluxe Reverb and a Super Reverb, and I think the Super Reverb (a '65) is by far the better amp all around. It has a lot more clean head room and more solid lower mids than the Deluxe; drummers are not an issue. I don't think either amp is that great pushed past overdrive into distortion compared to, say, a vintage Marshall or Vox style amp. With good pedals, like my Klon and some BJFE, Menatone, etc. I can get around that however. The Deluxe just sounds small when compared to the Super Reverb. My Deluxe Reverb is in fine shape, tweaked by Fred Taccone, and uses a Weber C12N clone, so it's doing all it can. I think Fred took 6V6 amps up a notch with his Divided By Thirteen models, using bigger transformers, etc., to solidify the bass, increase headroom, and get a lovely distortion when pushed. A Deluxe Reverb is a sweet little amp, but it sounds too little for me for rock. Blues, ok.

20. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

`Trey Anastasio's Deluxe is a firebreathing monster, I know this because I played it. I own a Super fine tuned by the same tech and while the Super is an awesome amp, it is way loud by the time it breaks up for my uses.