• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Fender Deluxe Reverb II pricing opinions?

NoBrakes

The amp sounds like it's in good condition with a small tear in the grille clothe.. The reverb tank has been replaced with a aftermarket unit and the speaker replaced with a Celestion... Any ideas what this might be worth?

Bottle_Rocket

Here is a rewview by Art Thompson.

Vintage Fender amps may be pricey these days, but handwired Fender bargains do exist. Rewind to a time between 1981 and 1984, when Paul Rivera was in charge of amp design for Fender. Models produced during this period include the Super Champ, the Concert series, the Deluxe II, the London Reverb, and the Twin Reverb II. These all-tube combos and heads were designed to go toe-to-toe with Mesa/Boogie, and they featured high-gain preamps, channel switching, and various pull-knob EQ functions. The Deluxe II featured here is a superb example of how Rivera's touch enhanced the Fender line at a time when its amps weren't even a consideration for many players. The 2-channel, 1x12 combo produces 20 watts from a pair of 6V6s, and its preamp section uses five 7025s and a 12AT7 reverb driver. The steel chassis houses a neat, handwired circuit, and the high-quality tube sockets, pots, jacks, and switches are chassis mounted.

Sonically, the Deluxe II is sort of a cross between a Deluxe Reverb and a Mesa/ Boogie MKII. The clean channel's controls yield crisp, nicely balanced tones, and a pull-bright function on the volume knob adds extra sparkle. The reverb-which, along with the presence control, is shared by both channels-is deep and dimensional. The Deluxe's high-gain side is activated by footswitch or by pulling channel 2's volume knob. The volume and gain controls provide a cool range of distortion colors-from just on the verge of breakup to searing sustain-and the master lets you get these sounds at almost any volume. The Deluxe II gets a little ratty at extreme gain settings, but its milder crunch sounds are harmonically rich and juicy- especially when you crank the master and let the power tubes party. The Deluxe II isn't loud enough for most gigs, but it would make a righteous recording/rehearsal amp. Here's the best part: Although their handwired construction puts them in a league with boutique amps costing $1,500 and up, Deluxe IIs can be found for much less.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
The London RVB was SS IIRC.

I would think $550 Ballpark. If you are buying, make sure it has the FS, otherwise you will have to either shell out for one or have one made, they are unique to those early 80s tube Fenders.

epluribus

Seems to me they've been steadily going for about $600 on EBay, give or take. That's for basically stock ones in good shape, btw. The Celestion...IIRC they briefly used something other than that ratty Emi, and the Celestion might be it. I switched my Emi to a Weber and that was an excellent match.

These amps are well covered here at TGP for a variety of reasons. Speaking as a DR II owner, IMHO they're great amps, and I think you'll like it.

--Ray

CitizenCain

I don't recall these ever beibng equipped with Celestions, but they did have EV speakers as optional. I hada DRII and one of the dumbest things I ever did was sell it.

teanett

i don't think there is an amp that sounds better than the deluxe 2.
different, yes, but not better. and it is loud enough for most situations.

Sudsysul

I have the Princeton II from that era. I put a Celestion H30 in because I didn't think much of the stock Fender speaker. I find the drive option to be unuseable, but the reverb is as good as it gets and the amp sounds like a very sweet Fender of old should, with maybe a touch less sparkle and a touch more juicy low mids. I use a drive pedal with mine and it's a permanant feature at our band practice site, so it gets lots of use. I'd say $5-600 is the range for a Deluxe II in really nice shape, less with the usual age flaws.

KennyM

Silver Supporting Member
I had one and I really liked it. I swapped the speaker for an EV pretty immediately. I used it a lot in stereo with my Dumble. It was stolen years ago out of my garage otherwise I'd still have it.

Scottone

I've seen a couple go in the 550 - 600 Cnd range up here in Canada. So $500 US would seem about right.

Creamy

$500 would be a decent price! From your description, I would say under $550 is a good price. There are semi-rare amps. The Super Champs, Concerts, and PRIIs were the hot sellers of that era. Non-original reverb tank? That's too bad. The original one is divine. Better reverb than on similar era PRII. Which Celestion? My favorite speaker combo for the DRII is the Weber 12A150-A... classic Fender sound!

epluribus

The 12A150 is an interesting choice. These things can be peaky with the 12F150 if you're not careful, and I've wondered what the AlNiCo flavor would do. (I use a 12F150.) BTW, sudsyul, check this out...try using your drive channel to do new-and-improved blackface cleans. That mid-control is a monster.

--Ray

covertops

I got the concert "II" for about $550 2 years ago, and couldn't be happier. OK...I COULD be happier, but this era of amp is excellent. My only problems are that mine is too loud and too heavy, but the DRII would fix both of those issues.

NoBrakes

I'm not sure which Celestion, the guy couldn't tell me.. He just informed me that he doesn't have the footswitch either. He wants to trade me this amp and $200 for my 68' Twin which is not original but in restored condition.

StompBoxBlues

no other opinions?
I had one, and let it go probably for too little...

It wasn't all that loud, and I changed out the speaker (rather the seller put back the one he had been using, after putting in the original to send the amp to me, finding the volume lowered a LOT and knew I was worried if it had enough juice, and putting the other back in).

I don't know about your ears, but I loved the sound of the amp, found it a little touchy on the OD side to set how I liked, but definitely had some wonderful sounds in it, but unfortunately it must have been exactly the frequencies that worsened my tinnitus, because after playing it for only 20 minutes, and LOW volumes (not with band or anything) my ears would sound like Niagra Falls was right next to me.

It wouldn't help to mention what I got for it (it was a music store trade-in, they sold it for a little more to someone shortly after, but this is in Norway and prices here have no relation to the US)....

Laheart

I would say that without the original speaker, without the original reverb tank and certainly without the original footswitch the amp should be valued around $350.00. A silverface 1968 Twin in good condition should fetch somewhere between $800 to $1,100 depending on actual condition and speakers.

NoBrakes

I think I'm starting to get on the wrong side of the deal.... My Twin has been re-tolexed, new grill cloth(silver turquoise like a 68 should have) and a like new silver faceplate... It now has a aftermarket ply baffle and the amp looks almost new.. I know this stuff actually hurts resale a little bit but the amp is tight and in beautiful condition.. The speakers are WGS ET-65's. My other two amps are a Rebel 20 and a H&K Switchblade 50 watter... I'm cover pretty well with amps, the Twin could stay just for sentimental value. I was thinking about making the Eganter and the Deluxe II shoot it out for which stays. I do want to keep something that has some headroom and that would be the Twin or the H&K plus a low wattage amp.

Creamy

"$350"? Are you kidding? Unless the amp is very damaged! Many people pay more than $350 for one stomp box!

Trending Topics