1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fender Deluxe Reverb Opinons

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by NoBrakes, Feb 14, 2009.

1. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

Let me re-phrase my last post..I'm looking for some opinions about this amps.. I have a guy who is interested in making a trade for my Twin.. I'm looking for sound, re-sale opinions etc..
    [​IMG]

2. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Well compared to your Twin it's going to have less headroom, but it'll be a warmer sounding amp, plus it'll start to overdrive as the volume gets over 4 to 6 depending on what tubes you have in it and how hot of a signal you are feeding it.

It's lights and smaller that the Twin, so that could be a plus. Are you talking Twin Reverb reissue and Deluxe Reverb reissue or originals?

TheGrooveking

3. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Twin Reverbs are big and heavy with lots of clean headroom. 85 watts and 64 lbs. Usually 2x12 config.

Deluxe Reverbs are lighter with less Clean headroom. 22 watts. and 42 lbs 1 x12.

I prefer a Deluxe Reverb over a Twin because I don't need the Clean Headroom in my Power Trio. Do you need the clean headroom ?

4. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

Unless you're playing big clubs and need endless clean headroom, I would take the deluxe instantly. Are we talking reissues or originals? What years are these?

5. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

Sorry...I was talking about a Deluxe Reverb II

6. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    Deluxe Reverb II's, from what i understand, are pretty different from "regular" Deluxe Reverbs. The Deluxe Reverb II's were designed by Paul Rivera and have a gain channel rather than a vibrato channel. I've never played a Deluxe Reverb II but i guess it depends on what sound you're after. Personally, I've never played a gain channel on a Fender that I've liked....

Not sure what the re-sale on the DR2's are currently, but i remember about 4 or 5 years ago, they'd go for anywhere between $600 - $800 on ebay. They seem to be in less demand these days and regular Deluxe Reverbs sell pretty consistently....

7. epluribus

epluribus Member

I have a Deluxe Reverb II, and there's been several excellent tech-oriented threads on how it works and how it performs. This one is kind of the grand-master DR thread, and it includes the DR II.

In a nutshell, DRs in general will indeed start to break up around 4-6, depending on EQ and the speaker, among other things. They also have a loose low end, and it gets pretty back-alley below low A--but I find that fun!

The DRII clean channel is really a Fender knockoff of the AB/763 Blackface DR. It's not a dead-on clone, but it's unmistakably genuine DR--nice. Channel 2 has an extra gain stage for preamp drive, a TMB tone stack with a nice mid-boost, and independent control of both the addtional gain stage and the power section--via a pre-PI MV on that last one.

Ch.2 also plays and sounds like a Rivera IMHO. Check out some of the clips on Paul's website and you'll get an idea of how he hears and designs for drive tones. Some guys don't like the sound, incl. some reputable amp designers around here, but similar groups do, incl. me. Gotta know how to tweak the knobs--that's the secret.

But it's a very far cry from a Twin. The Twin IMHO is an excellent pedal platform, but not really much native drive compared to many other amps. The DR series is very agressive and ready to come out and fight. I'd suggest you head down to GC and try a DR out.

--Ray

8. melody maker

melody maker Member

WHY oh why do I hate my 70s era Deluxe? It's too loud. I've had it worked on by the supposed "Fender amp guru" in North-East Philly, put a Weber Calirornian in it and I still can't get that warm over-driven tone or sustain I keep hearing about. It also sounds muffled (no high end) without the treble on 10. Sorry Gajet didn't mean to highjack your thread with my rant. But im really frustrated. oh and I bought it original in the box back in '81. idk maybe I need a different tech?