Fender Deluxe Reverb poll - how do you run your OD/Distortion pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by charless, Sep 3, 2008.

Which channel (mod/no mod) for OD/Distortion in to Deluxe Reverb?

1. I run OD/distortion into the Normal Channel

2. I run OD/distortion into the Vibrato Channel

3. I run OD/distortion into the Vibrato Channel with bright cap removed/clipped

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. charless

charless Member

Was wondering what musicians use the Normal and Vibrato channels when running dirt boxes into the amp.

Who clips the bright cap out of the Deluxe Reverb (or the Reissue) usually for this purpose and who instead just leaves it intact? How do manage the brightness issue? Do you prefer it or try and dial it out?

Using the Normal Channel obviously forsakes the use of reverb and tremelo. IIRC the Normal Channel does sound different even with the bright cap removed.

So what is everybody doing? and please post your comments!

I myself have not removed or modded my vintage 68 DR ... I just roll the treble down to 4 on the Vibrato channel but I wonder if the tone stack is meant to run that low and still sound good?

2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I haven't had a 2 channel Fender for a long time, but, in more recent years, it has occurred to me that you can have your od on the norm ch, eq'd to taste, and still retain the use of the clean ch by using an A/B box with the od pedal on 1 of the lines out, to the norm ch. Anyone doing this?

3. charless

charless Member

I made some adjustments this morning.

Running the Vibrato Treble at 4 is just too low, it makes the amp lose its bloom. It seems bringing up treble also increases the midrange which I preferable to me. I bumped it up to 5 and that seems perfect.

I am still using an MXR 10 band EQ to cut the 8k to 16k spike I get from the buffered pedals and the bright cap after my OCD on HP setting.

So, it seems most are running their dirt into the Vibrato Channel, what is the difference in sound to you vs the Normal Channel? Do some of you like the bright cap?

4. Franklin

Franklin Member

I use the (DRRI's) vibrato channel, unmodded. Since I run the amp pretty loud I do not get the high end shrillness that people complain about. In fact, it seems pretty good ith the amp up @ 6 or more and the vol knob on the guitar dialed back some. I run the treble around 4 or 5 most of the time. I love it!!

5. charless

charless Member

Yeah, running the volume up at least 4 is pretty neccesary. I'm glad others are running their ODs into the Vib. chnl and not modding it. Maybe it cuts betters in the mix with the bright cap intact. I brought the subject up to my amp tech and he was dead against making the bright cap mod .. he said "Play with you band and see why its beneficial".

I never dial back the volume, instead I constantley switch pickup configs when I play ... rolling back the vol on the guitar and turning up the amp seems like a steller idea though considering how the bright cap works on the DR, thanks!

6. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I run EVERTHING in front of the amp (obviously as there is no loop :()
    into output 2 of the normal channel...a les paul, semi-hollow, and an sg...all humbuckers

I am buying my first good strat in a week or so and will get an aby box so when I play my humbucker I can continue to do as above, but when I switch to a strat I wanna run everything into input 1...not sure if itll be normal or vibrato channel, will have to try them...:)

7. charless

charless Member

I play Teles and Rick 330 ... I plug into Input 1, if I had an SG or something with humbuckers I would probally use Input 2 like yourself.

Another point to make ... I switched out the 12ax7a tubes for 5751s so I am not creating too much preamp distortion, I get more headroom and can crank the amp a little more.

8. hyde

hyde Member

I just bought an MXR CC and realized that I don't use the reverb that much anymore. I decided to see if I could survive without it and try the normal channel, and at low volumes it is awesome!

I'm running an LP Standard with some fairly bright BB Pros and the Normal channel is much more balanced than the Vib. I'll know more about how it mixes with the band after tonight's practice.

Cheers,
    Hyde

9. charless

charless Member

Hey, I think I might try that too as I also have a v1 CC that I use more than the Fender reverb (even though it is amazing).

Thing is, when I think about using the Normal channel I feel like I am shortchanging the amp a bit ... it only has the one preamp tube (v1) and then the phase inverter (v6) .. seems a whole lotta tubage tone wasted, but the aural result is the key factor!

10. Joses

Joses Member

I use the Normal Channel as when I hit dirt into the Vib Channel it sounds nasty...but 2nite I'll give it a go as some have suggested with the amp volume up and my axe's vol down.

11. hyde

hyde Member

So, I ran the Normal channel tonight at practice and while it sounded good, I kept getting lost in the mix. :confused:

I used to run the Vibrato channel at around 5 with my volume rolled off and I never had a problem cutting through. I've noticed this before, what sounds good at low levels doesn't always work at band volumes and in a full mix.

I'm gonna give the Vibrato channel another shot.

Hyde

12. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

I use the Vibrato channel, input 2. I swapped out my stock Eminence with a Scumback 65watt H75-LHDC, an Evidence Audio Speaker Cable, several hundred $ in tubes. I'm very happy with the sound now, so I havent clipped the bright cap. I am going to be doing some internal mods to tighten up the bass just a little.

13. charless

charless Member

Hello Hyde,

I ran it through practice tonight as well, honestly I really didn't mess with Normal CHannel too much, it just sounds a bit flabbier than the Vibrato Channel on an already flabby type amp. I need more tighness, not more sag esp. when playing with a band.

I love the DR but the sound of 6V6 tube is the sound of a 6V6 tube. The Vibrato Channel has more crunch and more mids, I guess cause of the tubes. I am sticking with that plus I get the awesome reverb and tremelo circuits. I had very good tone tonight, what I am thinking is that with the help of an EQ pedal to dial out the ice pick highs you can raise the treble knob on the Vibrato Channel and make it bloom, it still has plenty of high end! Just brings out a fuller sound which as you saw the Normal Channel lacks to a degree.

14. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

I play the Vibrato Channel 98% of the time because I just have to have reverb. As mentioned previously, if I'm running a delay pedal, then I can use channel one on the amp. On my DRRI, I did the brite cap mod myself and it definately helped the 'ice pick' in the ears thing with certain OD pedals. It seemed to remove alot of the 'fizziness' that I was previously getting. I also put in a set of good tubes (Tungsol preamp & JJ\Tesla Poweramp). This always improves things. I also put in a Celestion Greenback speaker which adds a 'warm, woody' tone with earlier breakup, which I prefer since I play at Bedroom volumes most of the time.

As to OD\Distortion pedals; my taste changes from day to day (it's called GAS). The best OD tones I have gotten are from the KOT v. 4. I understand that Mike developed this pedal for use with a DR and Tele. It's a very versatile pedal. I have the internal dip switch set: channel one = OD \ channel two = distortion. But I'm also digging the FDII (non-mosfet) and Barber Burn Unit.

vtg

15. Don P.

Don P. Supporting Member

When I had my DRRI I used to run my od through the second imput on vibrato channel. I just prefered the sound of the second input and the reverb and tremolo were the reason I bought that amp.

16. hyde

hyde Member

I hear you charless, with the right EQ I'm sure it's possible to tame that high-end. I have been using a MK1 Silver Kiss and as much as I love the pedal it is way to shrill for the Vibrato channel. I guess the OD hunt is back on. ;)

17. Presc

Presc Member

I've been torn with this for awhile too...

I really like the clean sounds on the vibrato channel, it has more spank and the verb is great. I had figured out how to dial things in so they sounded fine on the vibrato channel, but there was always this "fizz" there that obscured some clarity. The OCD in particular sounded like dog **** on the vibrato channel. With any gain dialed in at all, just a fuzzy mess with no sustain. I also have a Direct Drive which is smoother in nature and thus worked better.

I recently built a true bypass A/B switch based off the design on the Fulltone website. I use my OCD basically set as a very light booster and I have that in front of the A/B - I use it on both. My heavier overdrive, the Barber Direct Drive, goes into the normal channel. I get some extra clarity on the normal and - it sounds a bit more compressed and there's more of a Dumble thing going on with the mid chirp.

It was one of those things were I was thinking of clipping the bright cap, but was really liking my clean and didn't want to screw things up. The A/B gives me both options and cost me $30 to build.

18. charless

charless Member

I run an OCD v3 (darker than the other versions) with the tone knob at 11 o'clock, Drive to around 8 o'clock and volume to 10 o'clock with an MXR EQ after it cutting -6 dbs at 8K and -8 dbs at 16K and found that the OCD sounds quite excellent ... keep in mind the OCD with buffered pedals, in front or after adds even more bite to it, it really is neccesary to have an EQ pedal to fix these issues. Without the EQ I can see your point about the OCD sounding like 'dog ****' in the Vibrato Channel.:puh I've found that other pedals such as the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive sounds brighter too when buffers are in the chain so it is not just the OCD that suffers from this.

19. Presc

Presc Member

Yeah it's the nasty highs that get me - I presumed they could be EQed out, but then you're adding another pedal and suddenly a $150 OCD essentially becomes a $250 OCD. All of my pedals are TB except for my delay (although it seems to be quite transparent regardless). In general I don't find the OCD to be a very "smooth" pedal, even on the normal channel, so I think the vibrato side w/o EQing really accentuates the lack of smoothness. The transparency of the pedal is wonderful, that's why I really like in almost more of a boost function.

20. auratnik

auratnik Supporting Member

I found this on the net and it's very true!

Before you did too much work I thought I'd give you the dope on how the bright cap works. Even if you already knew it might help someone else.

There's a funny thing about the human ear. It isn't as sensitive to treble frequencies at low volumes. So in the early years players would complain that when they turned the volume down they had to crank up the treble control. So someone had to invent the bright cap!

A bright cap is simply a cap wired across the hot and wiper terminals of the volume control. What happens is that when the control is turned down extra amounts of high frequencies flow through the cap. When you turn up the volume the cap is at the same time gradually shorted out so when you get the volume up to 6 or more the bright cap isn't doing anything but at that volume your ears are hearing the treble just fine without it.

The value of the cap is chosen to control just how much extra highs are added at low volumes. Guys like Leo Fender also would put a switch for the bright cap so if you found it too much you could switch it out.

So you if you understand all this you can decide if the bright effect is ok for different volume levels. If you put in a switch and take it out of the circuit it might lose too much treble at lower practice volumes. If that happens you can try a smaller value cap! Some amps use a rather big value like 500 pf. Try cutting it to 250 pf or less. Fender used 120 pf in the Bassmans. You could try 47 pf instead.