Fender Deluxe Reverb Re-Issue...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jota, Jun 16, 2005.

1. jota

jota Member

I was planning on buying one but I'm affraid it doesn't have enough volume. Not enough clean headroom but enough volume! The one I tryed seemed to stop the volume increase around 5 and then it just distorts more but always at the same amount of volume! I just loved the sound but need more volume...
    Is there anyway to increase the volume room? Can I connect it to an exterior cabinet? What kind of cabinet (types, brands, speakers, etc...)?

2. mbratch

mbratch Member

The behavior you're experiencing with the max volume is normal for an amp. You've reached the clipping stage of the power amp. This is considered desirable. ;)

What are you using the amp for? Why do you think it's not loud enough?

3. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

You can solve the problem by pulling out the lousy stock speaker & putting a more efficient speaker in it - a Weber C12N for instance...

4. B Vance

B Vance Member

I have one and I have clean headroom for days. I stay clean clear up to line 7 on the volume. I put in some new low-gain tubes though. The suggestion of putting in a new speaker is good as well. The Jansen is really soft.

Look for some lower-gain tubes.

5. Shemp

Shemp Member

If you need more amp, but like the basic sound of the DRRI try a Custom Vibrolux Reverb. I own both a SF DR and the CVR and with a set of Rajin Cajuns and decent tubes the CVR is a screamer.

6. jota

jota Member

I loved the distorted sound, but it seems with not enough volume to hear it on stage, cause I like to hear what's coming from my guitar directly from the amp.

The other choice, the vibrolux I never tryied but I fear it doesn't break up so soon and when it does it was too much volume:confused:

So I would go for the DRRI but I was hoping for more volume, just that, not a changing in the sound cause I loved it.

Thanx:)

7. Mark C

Mark C Member

Look into a Pro Reverb from the late 60's-early 70's. These often go for about the same price as a new reissue Deluxe Reverb and sound killer, plus they have great volume for playing clubs.

8. jota

jota Member

Here in Portugal that's kind of impossible!
    I need to get it new cause I don't want to go wrong on getting something I can't try before buy.

But thanx for the tip;)

9. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

I had a DRRI. Nice amp. My issue was not volume but clean head room. Mine broke up around 4-5 with my LesPaul. A bit higher with my strat. Replaced it with a Carr Rambler.

10. mbratch

mbratch Member

Where is your amp placed on the stage relative to where you are standing, and which way is it facing? If it's not close to you, it should be mic'ed and brought into the PA system and your monitor. Or move the amp closer to you and make sure it's pointed at your head (tilted back or whatever). If your ears aren't in nearly direct line of the speaker, there will be definite loss of perceived volume for you.

If it is already close to you and you still can't hear it, then perhaps the overall stage volume needs to be reduced.

Alternatively, you could make a simple speaker wire mod that disconnects the internal combo speaker, and connects your amp into a separate speaker cab (2x10 or 2x12), making sure to keep the same impedance as the internal speaker.

11. Seegs

Seegs Member

I just think its not enough amp for your needs...

I have a 64 Deluxe and love the tones of the amp but I can't use it live either...

I've been through 10 different speakers and low gain tubes and mods and whatnot and its just not enough amp for me...sure if every venue had a great soundman and soundsystem that allowed me to have my own seperate monitor mix than no problem...

But that is just not the case so I need an amp that has enough volumn and headroom to cut it on its own without being miked...

I have a huge dilema...I love my amp but I may have to sacrafice it for an amp with more headroom and volumn...what I really need is a Super or a Pro Reverb...

Chow,
    Seegs

12. jota

jota Member

Probably, all I need is a Costume Vibrolux, but since this is a all-tube amp like the DRRI, I'm affriad that doesn't sound so good as the DRRI. I really liked the sound.

The problem with the volume is that I use a Tech 21 Trademark 60 combo and I have to be close to it and it have to do a 45o angle to my head so i can hear it with volume on 1o'clock and I think the DRRI doesn't have so much volume at 10!!! So I'm a bit affraid on buying it and could not hear it on stage!

What are the best speakers for a 2x12 cab? Can u suggest a good cab for the DRRI?

13. jota

jota Member

I'm a begginer in these questions!!! Please make some suggestions;)

14. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

Do you mic the amp?

If you need loud and clean then the Deluxe Reverb isn't the Dragon to chase. I'd say try out the Fender Super Reverb {if brand names are easier to find}. The Super should give you a big, punchy sound. The Deluxe will be a thicker, sweeter tone but you can always add grit to the Super Reverb with a good boost pedal.