Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue vs. Vox AC15CC1

utterhack

Do you want glassy or do you want chimey?

Also, what guitar would you be using for the most part?

Captain Zero

Tough one here. I had the same question and went with an AC15. Now, I feel that I'm missing out on those Fender cleans.

popthree

DRRI - reliability - more clean head room - plywood cab - lighter - better reverb - not made in china

revgsmall

I own em both, and use em alot. Obviously one sounds like a fender and one sounds like a Vox.

The plus side of the Vox is it has a great master volume so you can really dial in a slight clip at a low volume. The down side, the onboard reverb is pretty ho-hummers. It doesn't bother me though because I use a reverb pedal anyway. There is plenty of headroom should you need to turn up a bit but just like everyone else the club owner will be right there to say "you're too dang loud".

The Deluxe has a very good reverb but not as good as my original 1964 Fender Princeton. It has the classic Deluxe sound to be sure but if you are in a low volume situation its hard to get the amp volume down without choking the tone right out of it.

I've tried various speakers, the Deluxe currently has a Emi Cannibus Rex in it. It takes some of the brittle highs away as I dig a warmer tone.

The Vox has a Celestion neo-magnet in it. It sounds very good with just a touch of pre amp clip and it took about 10 pounds of weight off. The original Wharfdale speaker is pretty darn good. The original fender deluxe speaker was very bright and brittle.

I play in a trio that does rockabilly, blues and cajun type stuff. You can hear some sound bites where I use the above amps at www.coyotebros.net

No troubles with either amp, the Vox has probably 100 plus gigs and rehearsals on it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Madison

Which amp and why?

Thanks!
I've had them plus the AC30. I'd take the DRRI (w/ Jensen C12K) immediately, no question. It's my favorite 'non booteek' amp. Wonderful tone, the best reverb period, and sounds killer with a good OD pedal followed by a booster. Loud enough for most jobs.

fazendeiro

DRRI for me, I like the Fender sound. I gigged an AC15 for a month or so, and I couldn't get enough clean out of it.

It sounded good and VOXey, but dial in any volume and it was a blizzard of nails, simply not enough headroom for me.

ericjb

"Do you want glassy or do you want chimey?
Also, what guitar would you be using for the most part?"

Tough question because I play everything from Beatles to Phish to harder stuff like Pearl Jam.. I'm just looking for a well rounded amp, with a warm tone, good cleans, and something that also sounds great with a tubescreamer on.

As for guitars, my main guitar is a Languedoc clone, similar to what Trey Anastasio uses from Phish. It's a full hollowbody with humbuckers. i'll also pick up my fat strat and Rickenback 12-string from time to time. Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Animal Mother

This thread is funny because I've got a VOX AC15CC1 and I'm getting a used DRRI w/ Weber 12F150 on Friday night. Maybe I can report my thoughts on Monday :)

I've bought the AC15CC1 new last September so I can tell you a little bit about it.

The master volume is really great for me because I don't play very loud and I use the amp for practice and recording. I think the Tremolo is great, but the Reverb is pretty much unusable. I don't know if my amp is faulty, but as soon as I turn up the Reverb knob it immediately has way too much Reverb. The Reverb sucks anyway. It's weird because it seemed that the AC30 Reverb was much better than the AC15... I've been fooled!

I'd suggest you to take a Celestion Alnico Blue model because it's a lot better than the Wharfdale. BTW, I bought the Wharfdale because I couldn't afford the Celestion in September.

The VOX takes pedals very well IMO, but one pedal might sound very different on a Fender than on a VOX. I have a ZVEX Box of Rock and I think it sounds a LOT better on my Vox than on my friend's SF Princeton (it was too bassy on the Princeton). I also have a RAT pedal and it's awesome on the VOX (and also on the Princeton!)

More about Fender vs VOX: I prefer the VOX tube OD compared to Fender's, but it's a personal thing. I compared the AC15CC1 with a Blues Jr and a Silverface Princeton. While the Blues Jr sounded boxy compared to the VOX, the Silverface Princeton (original Jensen) was just amazing and beat the VOX's speaker easily. I still prefer the VOX's OD though!

Anyway, if you like VOXy tones, the AC15CC1 is a great amp! Just don't use the Reverb though!

FAC

"Do you want glassy or do you want chimey?
Also, what guitar would you be using for the most part?"

Tough question because I play everything from Beatles to Phish to harder stuff like Pearl Jam.. I'm just looking for a well rounded amp, with a warm tone, good cleans, and something that also sounds great with a tubescreamer on.

As for guitars, my main guitar is a Languedoc clone, similar to what Trey Anastasio uses from Phish. It's a full hollowbody with humbuckers. i'll also pick up my fat strat and Rickenback 12-string from time to time. Hope this helps.

Thanks.
I personally prefer the vox, but it sounds like you're describing the fender:

Beatles (used vox and fender)

Phish (Trey uses a fender deluxe reverb, yes?)

Pearl Jam (neither?...would need the right pedal?)

Good Cleans (neither have tons of headroom, but Fender probably wins if you want it to stay clean louder...AC15 will probably always have a bit of hair on it at moderate to loud volumes...I personally prefer the vox cleans, but that does not seem to be what you're describing, to me)

Tubescreamer: fender

Reverb (without swapping the tank): Fender

Add it all up and I think the scales are tipped towards the fender? I think they are both good amps, regardless.

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
I am going to pick C- PRRI, its warmer lighter, better verb and trem, but still does the Fender tone. If I can't have my PRRI- then I'll take the Vox. The DRRI just doesn't have enough mids and that doesn't work for me live.

ericjb

Well I guess I need to play them both side by side and compare. Sounds like although different, I can't go wrong with either. Thanks for all the feedback. Keep it coming if you have more...

morgan918

They're so different, but if you want an ac15, maybe check out the older mid 90's TBXs. I think they just sound so much more natural than the CC series. I've had mine for years and it's been completely reliable. I'd make sure it has an alnico blue in it though, I think that's half the magic. There's nothing like a ric through one of those.

But I'm having a similar dilemma as you. I love my ac15 (and ac30) tbxs, but I'm doing a second project where they just don't work soundwise. I have a little BF vibrochamp that sounds great, but isn't quite loud enough. So I'm contemplating a DRRi or maybe a princeton reverb. I'd like to hear what you end up with.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
I had a Vox AC15TBX and Fender DRRI. I needed to sell an amp, so I AB'ed them back to back alot. In the end I just liked the on tones I got out of the Vox AC15TBX better than the DRRI. In most cases that was the amp I preferred.

Both the AC15CC1 and DRRI would bennefit from a speaker upgrade (although I heard the stock Jensen C12K is not bad). I would clip the bright cap on both amps as well so they take pedals better. Also you can swap the reverb pan on the AC15CC1 for about $30, it helps, but the reverb will never be as good as the DRRI.

Also, I do not like a tubescreamer pedal with a Vox amp. A Vox is known for its high mids, add that to middy tubescreamer and you have too many mids. I have also been buried in a bad situation with a DRRI and the AC15TBX. In some cases I was fine, but in other small room band practices, they just weren't enough amp.

I currently have a '69 Fender BMR and '66 Vox AC50, so I am back to a Vox and a Fender, although for me I would probably again sell the Fender before the Vox.

Tbone135

I had a DRRI for a main amp for 7 or 8 years and it just wasnt for me eventually. I grew up with Fender stuff and I like the Vox sound these days. The DRRI was just too loud at the volumes it sounded best at and got brittle sounding too easy for me. The AC15 has been a better fit for the music I do. If I did the blues thing, then maybe the DRRI. IMO the AC15 is much more versatile.

Trending Topics