Fender deluxe reverb ri

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by john archer, Jan 4, 2006.

1. john archer

john archer Member

I just played through a Deluxe Reverb ri the other and I have to say I was very impressed. I own a Twin Reverb ri and it sounded much better to my ears. My brother and I both agreed that the amp had much better clarity...kind of like a simpler more natural sound. Just some thoughts.

2. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

I gotta say they did something right with the DRRI. Mine has an old V30 in it, I did some pre-amp tube experiments, and the bright cap mod and it is a great amp. Yesterday I plugged in my R9 with WCRs in and was running the volume around 6 on the DRRI and my tone whore buddy's jaw dropped. Great Fendery clean, and incredible smooth gain at higher volumes.

3. 1955Junior

1955Junior Silver Supporting Member

I've heard these amps and agree that they sound very good. How reliable are they? I've owned quite a few Fender DRs from the mid to late 1960s and never had a problem. Years ago I was driving home early one morning from playing at a club. I had my 1965 DR in the back of a pickup truck (a cap was over the truck bed). I was driving up a steep hill (traveling about 35 mph) and the tailgate opened. The amp fell face first on the road. Needless to say, I was sick. The chassis was pushed forward, all the knobs were broken, a few tubes were damaged, and the faceplate was pretty banged up. I took it to a repair shop the next day. The guy replaced the tubes and the amp fired right up - like nothing ever happened. Other than cosmetic damage, the amp sounded as good as new after replacing the broken tubes. I was sold on Fender gear after that unfortunate episode.

4. Ogre

Ogre Member

I have been using a DRRI for my grab and go amp for three years. I had to put it in the shop today for the first time, and I am pretty sure it just needs a fresh tube or two.

5. oxtone

oxtone Member

Yea, I just borrowed one to use for a New Years Eve gig, and it sounded great with my Tonebone Classic and Keeley modded 808. I did notice a little farting out on low notes on clean. But, I may pick one up to replace my '94 Peavey Classic 30, which I find dull and lifeless now.

What is the "bright cap" mod? And does a V30 help? I have V30 cabs, and sometimes I hate the mid range hump in them. I also have MojoTone BV30H's, which sound great.

6. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

You remove the bright cap on the verb channel to tame the high end sizzle. Do a search here and you should find detailed info on how to do it.

I usually HATE V30s, but after trying many different speakers in the DRRI, the V30 is it. Beautifull cleans, tight bass, and when the amp is overdriven it is nice and tight and clear. Very nice, doesn't seem to have the upper mid / high end annoyance that I usually find with V30s with Marshalls.

7. Ogre

Ogre Member

I have an old Altec 417 in mine, and I'm happy.

8. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

I hate to sound stupid (I should be used to it by now), but by a V30, I assume you mean a Celestion Vintage 30, correct?

Has anyone experimented or thought of putting a point to point board in one of these? I know Hoffman amps offers one, or at least a kit.

I need a deluxe reverb...:dude

9. oxtone

oxtone Member

Yes - V30 would mean a Celestion Vintage 30.

10. Ogre

Ogre Member

The point to point wiring myth is still alive. My DRRI actually sounds BETTER than many point to point amps. I wouldn't waste my $$ on it. There are so many other factors that enter into the tone picture. Bogner amps use printed circuit boards with excellent results.

11. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

Well, besides the tone factor, I was wondering about the ease ability to be serviced, or modded. I here PTP is way easier to deal with, as well as more durable.

12. OOG

OOG Member

i learned from the Fender forum that you can buy PtP boards for DRRI.
    there are a number of people modding the Fender circut board amps
    Andy Fuchs can turn it into an ODS
    i'd say if you play one and like it
    buy it

13. Blueser

Blueser Member

Search here for the user Wayne. He did a PTP conversion to his DRRI, and did a fantastic job documenting the entire process. A very interesting read!

14. myles111

myles111 Member

Check the bias and maybe replace some of the Sovtek 12AX7WA's that come stock with something else. This is expecially true in V2 if you mostly use the vibrato channel.

15. Ogre

Ogre Member

Point to point amps are generally easier to service. Printed circuit boards can be problematic, especially if they bounce around in a truck regularly. But even PTP amps can have cold solder joints. By the way, I got my DR out of the shop today. There was nothing wrong with it. The allergies are kicking my ass, and I have fluid in my ears. I must have been playing too hard to hear myself! So the track record is: 3 years of gigging steadily, and I have had to replace one preamp tube.

16. myles111

myles111 Member

PCB done right is great. You will not find too many channel swiching amps that are PTP as a side note.

As far as good PCB reliability .... check with an FA-18 pilot that hard lands every day on a U.S. Navy carrier. He is surrounded by PCBs and surface mount technology.

A good PCB article by Andy Marshall from www.thdelectonics.com is here:

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/thd.html