Fender deluxe reverb RI...........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by HaloMaster, Jul 17, 2006.

1. HaloMaster

HaloMaster Silver Supporting Member

I am thinking about getting a DRRI. I play in church mostly and my deville is way to loud at 60 watts. I was hoping I could get some feedback on the DRRI. I have heard good things about this amp! Does it take pedals well? Those of you who have played/owned this amp let me know the pro's and con's? Is this a good amp?

2. Gigino

Gigino Member

I think it's a good amp for a church but to me it is 'nt very pedal friendly overall at low volume (i've tried a vox bulldog, a boss sd1, a rat2)

3. myles111

myles111 Member

These are nice amps for the $$$$.

They are as pedal friendly as any Fender black face front end.

Check the bias and make sure it is properly set and loose the stock Sovtek 12AX7WA tubes in V2 at least for a start and replace with just about any other 12AX7.

4. Sunil

Sunil Gold Supporting Member

I have a DRRI that I'm more than happy with. I use it for lower volume gigs, and my Custom Audio OD100 head for larger gigs. I don't miss the OD100 when I use the DRRI, the Fender sounds great. I upgraded the speaker with a Tone Tubby Hempcone Alnico and the low end is really beautiful: nice and round w/o any flubbiness. I highly recommend the Tone Tubby for this amp. I also added some NOS tubes and use an external series efx loop for time-based effects, particularly delays. I find the DRRI works well with most of the od/distortion pedals I throw at it, definitely nicer at higher volumes. The upgrades were about $350. For the money, though, a stock DRRI is still a real value.

-- Sunil

5. HaloMaster

I know that I would definetly put new tubes and a speaker in it!!!! I have been really impressed with the JJ tubes and I was thinking about a eminence cannibas rex!!!!! Keep the reviews coming!!!! Is the tube reverb nice?

6. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

Excellent amp imho. Had mine about 2 years with NO problems or concerns. If you buy one before you start swapping out the speaker & tubes play it for a few months first, you just might find it sounds just fine stock as I did.

7. wleeds

wleeds Member

I've had mine for 2 months now. At first I had to send it back because something had come loose across channel 2. Sent it back for warranty repair and asked the tech to check the bias. I'd heard they usually come biased cold.
    The tech did (re)bias it and it sounds warmer tat before
    After playing it for around 4 hours+ a day, i love it. I haven't played a BFDR or SFDR in a long time but this is a great amp for the price. Mine has the Jensen speaker. I was going to swap it out and now that its broken in it has a charm to it. It is pedal friendly at all levels. It loves my Barber DD, BARBER SILVER, and TS808.
    I am now using this as my main amp after using a 68 Super and 73 Twin's. I'm using it for gigs and studio. However, it has put me on the hunt for a pre push/pull SFDR. BFDR's are stupidly expensive for me.

I don't thing you can go wrong with it.
    mark

8. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I would say you'll be plenty happy with it. If I can play a Princeton Reverb at a gig and be happy, you should be fine with the Deluxe.

9. Sunil

Sunil Gold Supporting Member

I agree. Some people are too quick to mod the amp before the new speaker breaks in. It's a fantastic sounding amp as is.

The price is really great, and the DRRI is a nice platform for speaker/tube mods. For those who want to spend the money on mods, you can put in less than $400 on upgrades and end up with a boutique class amp for much less than most boutiques.

-- S

10. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

I agree that the new DRRI's are nice sounding right out of the box with maybe a warm up on the bias. BTW you can adjust the bias from undernieth the amp by ear, just check to make sure your tubes arn't glowing red on the metal plates surrounds.

Before I get flamed most of the time the bias adjustment on those amps are with in a range of cold to hot but not too hot from what I've seen.

My DRRI has been modded by taking out the bright cap lowering the bass caps values and putting in a MM OPT and a Weber Cali Speaker, but this amp is my tweeker.. I play a new one at our local dealer and it sounds really good.

These are great amps and great value..they're pretty reasonable used as well.

11. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

12. Wayne

Wayne Member

Pretty decent amp right out of the box. Really takes pedals well. I upgraded the tubes (JJ) and speaker (Reverend Alltone 1250) and played that way for years. Then I went nuts and had the whole thing gutted and rebuilt with top-notch parts and done point-to-point. It was affordable because I'd only paid $250 for the amp used, which is very atypical. A Deluxe Reverb is a desert island amp for many people.

Wayne

13. wleeds

wleeds Member

14. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

I play at church also...

Do yourself a favor and check out the Fargen Blackbird. I was strongly considering going BFDR, but my Blackbird is everything I hoped for+.

15. brianf

brianf Member

I have had mine for about 3 years now. The best reverb and vibrato out there.

Takes pedals very well. I've used several different Boss distortions and OD's as well as a TS 808. No issues.

I did retube it with EH across the board and added tilt back legs.

It's just one of those must have amps.

For natural break-up, humbuckers will get you there much sooner than single coils.

It's also light enough to easily haul around!!!

brianf

16. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

I have a 98 DRRI that I bought new and have gigged tons. I put in NOS tubes, changed the speaker from the Fender (Eminence) to a Kendrick Brownframe, clipped the bright cap, and recently put in Mercury Magnetics OT and choke. The amp sounds fantastic and loves pedals. I have used tubescreamers, old Rat, Barber DD, SD-1, Zendrive with no problems. I use this amp for the smaller gigs when I don't want to take my full Fuchs ODS rig.

17. HaloMaster

does this amp have a effects loop? I read that the vibrato and reverb are switchable, is that when you are plugged into the vibrato channel. Explain the switching on this amp to me!!!! I am on the list for a zendrive to, how does it sound through this amp? It looks like I am goign to get one!!!!!