• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Fender Deluxe reverb vs Vibrolux

im wondering what the mains differences here are beside the obvious wattage speakers and all that good stuff. Do the 210's add a little more sound and 3D effect compared to just 112. For country guitar playing would the higher wattage and punchier 210's be better suited. I have a deluxe reverb right now and I love it. I put jj tubes in it and a wgs et65 speaker and it does the country thing very well but I'm needing a little more headroom. I don't wanna lose the good tone and bottom end of the deluxebut I need the punch and headroom. Also the mention of the two speakers giving a bigger more 3D sound really has me wanting the 210 but don't want it to be shrill and lack of bottom end.

JK1965

Gold Supporting Member
You are going to gets tons of advice here and most of it based on what someone has themselves.

So here goes. My Limited Edition Deluxe Reverb came with a Celestion A Type speaker. This is a fantastic speaker that increases headroom and has much better clarity than the stock speaker they use. Next I took amp to a very well respected tech and he loved it as is. He was amazed at how good it sounded stock. To increase the headroom he installed 6L6's and re-biased it. With a Telecaster it's got a ton of headroom. May be just what you need. That A Type speaker is only $99 and one of the best "deals" oout there. Do a search on it. The reviews are great. Not surprised as it's a great speaker.

bigben55

My Limited Edition Deluxe Reverb came with a Celestion A Type speaker. This is a fantastic speaker that increases headroom and has much better clarity than the stock speaker they use. That A Type speaker is only $99 and one of the best "deals" oout there. Do a search on it. The reviews are great. Not surprised as it's a great speaker.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but what speaker would you'd say would best compliment the A Type in a BF Pro Reverb? I have one, love it. The other is an Eminence Texas Heat which I like but I think it kinda overpowers the A Type. Thinking of replacing that one.

JK1965

Gold Supporting Member
I don't really know as the DR only has one 12. Nothing to go by. I have an Alnico Cream in my Down Brownie amp. I run these amps in tandem a lot now. That's a great combo but we're talking two different circuits driving two different speakers.

Laurent Brondel

Silver Supporting Member
The VR will naturally have a bit more bass and presence, mostly due to the larger cab and more speaker surface.
The DR has a bit more presence in the mids, due to the single speaker and smaller cab.

Which amp has more headroom really depends on the efficiency of the speakers, the VR may have a few more watts on the DR, but it has the smallest OT of the 2 x6L6's BF/SF's, about the size of the DR, really.

My DR's with JBL D-120's are louder and have more headroom than my VR's with the original CTS speakers, the JBL's are probably over 100dB efficiency, the CTS I assume around 95dB, maybe even less. Both sound great though.
Now if I had D-110's in the VR's, they'd probably be louder and have more headroom than the DR's.

sabby

What Laurent said above, but for me ...

2x10 > 1x12
6L6 > 6V6

The better BF trem is on the Princeton.

YMMV.

BlueRiff

In playing both amps - off the shelf reissues - I felt the Deluxe has more bottom end warmth/bass, etc. The other post discussing upgrading power tubes to 6L6 and re-bias by a good tech is spot on - considering 6L6s will sound a bit different than 6V6s but still in the pocket for blackface tone. I've done this and it works well for a bit more headroom and dynamics. The only other consideration would be maybe playing through the low input on the amp to get further headroom. Good Luck.

FF71

Are we talking about reissues? Because there is not a "real" reissue of a Vibrolux Reverb. But to answer your question, you can mod your Deluxe Reverb for 6L6 etc..or try a speaker swap for a bit more headroom. But to be honest (this is from owning both vintage versions)..it is impossible to know until you've owned and live with both. You can only decide for yourself. Which one would be perfect for you. A 6V6 loaded amp is totally different feel from a 6L6 amp. My 2 cents. Volume wise, I feel that the Deluxe Reverb is louder and fuller sounding. The VR glassier and a bit more versatile (on/off bright switch) etc.. :)

Jack Luminous

Headroom is similar in the two amps but the Vibrolux Reverb has more bass and presence due to the 2x10 config. I'm loving mine !

I have a more efficient speaker. The wgs et65 is loud and clear. I have heard some bad things about the 6l6 conversion. Saying that it takes away the magic of the deluxe

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
I am a fan of 10s and as a former owner of both I can say I like the way ten inch speakers are heard better on stage (for me at least). The seem to cut better in the mix against all the drums, bass and monitors etc. I don't own a Vibrolux right now, but I do have a VVRI and love it. I also own a Bassman LTD and love it more! :aok

JK1965

Gold Supporting Member
I have a more efficient speaker. The wgs et65 is loud and clear. I have heard some bad things about the 6l6 conversion. Saying that it takes away the magic of the deluxe

I've read that as well. The guy who did mine is a Deluxe Reverb fanatic and swears by this mod. He uses them in his recording studio too with the 6L6's. Mine sounds killer. Here's the thing though, if you try this and after a bit don't like it, you can alway put the 6v6's back in. It just needs biasing but that is with any tube change. It definitely increases headroom a bit.

easyed

When I had a '65 DRRI, I found that the baffle board/grill for a Vibrolux had the same dimensions. I got one off thebay complete with grille cloth.

I installed a pair of TAD 6L6's so I could match the impedance of a pair of 8-ohm speakers wired parallel for a 4-ohm load. 6L6 tubes look for half the speaker impedance as 6V6 tubes through the same output transformer.

I put a pair of Jensen MOD 10-35's in it and it sounded awful (they were cheap for good reason). I promptly sold the Jensens and installed a pair of Emi Legend 1058's - Wow! Lovely sound - very classic Fender to my ear.

I called the amp a Devibroluxe Reverb.

If I hadn't learned about the Allen Sweet Spot, I would probably still have that amp, but I was into a "new toys" phase and bought the Sweet Spot kit. I've kept that one.

I sold the DRRI, reconfigured to factory stock (GT Tubes and Fender/Jensen speaker) per the buyer's request; it was just what he wanted. I sold the "conversion kit" to another buyer that wanted to try 2x10's in his DRRI.

I never had opportunity to run the Devibroluxe at full power for any length of time, so I don't know if any of the transformers would run too hot. I did use it for a 4-set gig in a 60-seat venue and had no problems.

FF71

Try something like a JBL, EV speaker anything around 100 watts + I've tried an Eminence Swamp Thang on mine. Big and bold with lots of headroom. The Swamp Thang is around 150 watts, so you can imagine what a 200 watt EV or JBL would do.

Laurent Brondel

Silver Supporting Member
He uses them in his recording studio too with the 6L6's. Mine sounds killer. Here's the thing though, if you try this and after a bit don't like it, you can alway put the 6v6's back in. It just needs biasing but that is with any tube change. It definitely increases headroom a bit.
Switching to 6L6's on a DR definitely requires re-biasing, and using a SS rectifier to lighten the load on the PT. Increased headroom? Maybe in using a 4ohm load with efficient speakers, but not in keeping the 8ohm load. The limiting factor here is the OT, it can't put out more than its size.
When I had a '65 DRRI, I found that the baffle board/grill for a Vibrolux had the same dimensions.
It doesn't. The VR baffle is larger than the DR by quite a bit. Maybe it's possible to cram 2x10" on a custom made DR baffle, but the DR cab is still smaller than the VR.

Axis29

I have owned a '65 Reissue Deluxe and a 1969 Vibrolux Reverb and had the two sitting side by side. The DRRI had the stock Jensen, the VR had Weber P10Rs.

The VR was punchier, had a tighter bass response and was warmer overall. The VR had that really nice glassy 6l6 clean as well. It was a good bit louder than the Deluxe, but I think 50% of that was the speaker efficiency. 12 watts difference ain't all that much.

The DRRI went away after my first outdoor gig with it. It got lost on stage and I ran out of headroom quickly. If I had had more experience, I might have known to ask for more of it in the monitors, and I wouldn't have been so quick to trade it away. Since then, 10 or 12 years now, I have had a number of 6l6 amps, all multiple speaker versions: a '63 Vibroverb RI, a '59 Bassman RI, a '73 Bassman 50, etc. The VVRI and 59BMRI are still hanging around. I've moved through a bunch of 6v6 amps too... Too many to list, in fact. I don't seem to stick with them as long. Guess I'm just a 6l6 kinda guy?

finnster

Silver Supporting Member
I have had both. Both are/were the new Custom versions. I found the Deluxe to lose headroom real quick. I compared both and kept the Vibrolux. It sounds fuller to me, tighter bass and takes my drive pedals better. I am a Marshall guy at heart and have just recently been converted to a Fender guy. I play in a coverband and I find the Custom Vibrolux to cover so much ground. Just my experience and opinion. FWIW, both amps have Celestion speakers stock, V-type in the Deluxe and C-10's in the Vibe.

The Deluxe sounded great mic'd, I haven't had the time yet to mic the 10's in the vibe to see how it sounds. But in the "room" the Vibrolux kills the Deluxe. I also like the added bonus of the bright switch.

JK1965

Gold Supporting Member
Switching to 6L6's on a DR definitely requires re-biasing, and using a SS rectifier to lighten the load on the PT. Increased headroom? Maybe in using a 4ohm load with efficient speakers, but not in keeping the 8ohm load. The limiting factor here is the OT, it can't put out more than its size.

I've read this before here. My guy switched the tubes and simply rebiased it. This guy has done work for David Gilmour, Prince and a bunch of other top notch players. He told me that the SS rectifier is not required. He has been running DR's with 6L6's for years and has never had an issue. It most definitely increased the headroom a little bit.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom