Fender Deluxe Reverb - What can I improve?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ElectroDux, Apr 4, 2015.

1. ElectroDux

ElectroDux Member

I have had my Deluxe (1994ish in blond tolex) since I bought it new. Its been the one amp I have hung onto and works well for the power pop/punkish stuff I play.

It is bone stock except for the tubes (only two) that I have replaced when they went bad. At this point Im wondering if there are things I can do to bring it to life a bit more.

I really like how its sounds in general but I do find the low end sort of muddy. Im wondering is different tubes or a different speaker would be a nice switch.

Any other Deluxe owner want to offer up their suggestions?

Thanks

2. zenas

zenas Member

20 years old it might be time for some fresh filter cap weak ones will muddy the low end.

3. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

^^^^^ This and maybe some new tubes.

4. ElectroDux

ElectroDux Member

Ok sounds like a trip to the repair department is in order.

Would replacing the stock speaker be a thing to do as well?

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

A Tonker or Swamp Thang may help the flub a little. To my knowledge, some of the farty bass is in the circuit. I also agree with retubing it. 21 years is way too long for modern tubes.

6. zenas

zenas Member

I'd wait on the speaker until you get the amp checked out.

7. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

Put in some Celestion type of speakers in there. Put some fresh tubes and bias it properly.

8. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

More new tubes. Have you had the power tube bias checked? I don't like its stock eminence gold label speaker. I really like the Eminence Lil Texas Neo speaker because it sounds great and is much lighter.

9. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Which stock speaker is in it? I think the Jensen C12K sounds best of the stock ones and has big clean bottom.
    Where do you set your bass control? On a DR anything above 4+ just adds breakup/mush.
    You should have your bias checked on the power tubes. JJ's will be cleaner and more 6L6-ish if you want that.

10. Bradleyonmic

Bradleyonmic Member

#1- new tubes all around. Power, rectifier, and pre-amps. Check out Eurotubes.com for help in choosing tubes.
    #2- bias bias bias!! Absolutely gotta do this
    #3- as someone above said, it's probably time for some filter caps.
    #4- speaker. I like WGS's in my deluxe. Weber has a helpful website for choosing a replacement speaker, and Weber speakers are great as well. There's just no way to say a speaker is "best" for a particular amp, it's so subjective.
    #5-clean & tighten tube sockets, all input jacks, etc.
    I hope this helps, I use Deluxe Reverbs and always buy used ones, and this is pretty much the list I go through with all of them. By the way, I'm jealous of the blonde color!! Good luck!

11. Telecasteur

Telecasteur Member

12. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

Filter caps are not a maintenance item. Changing them may very well change the sound of an amp for better or worse. They are usually only changed on vintage amps where they are showing signs of bulging which may lead to leaking. Or if they are actually leaking or malfunctioning. Your amp is only 20 years old and was made with modern filter caps.
    A Deluxe Reverb starts to sound flubby in the bass as you turn them up. This is how they sound. As suggested above, I'd get the power tubes replaced and rebias the amp. Preamp tubes don't need to be replaced unless they get noisy. In fact, the ones in your amp now may sound better than the ones being made today.
    Then maybe try it with a more efficient speaker to tighten up the low end.

13. ElectroDux

ElectroDux Member

Thanks for all the advice sounds like trip to he repair ship for a a look at the power tubes might be in order.

After that I will look into a new speaker to see if I can change the sound a bit.

Overall Im pretty happy with how it sounds but Im interested in seeing if I can the most out of it.

14. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

New power tubes biased correctly will make a big difference. The JJ 6V6 sounds great.

15. zenas

zenas Member

I disagree with pretty much everything you said about electorlytics. Only a complete idiot leaves them in a vintage amp. I work on vintage amps the things can look good, they can test good, but they sound like ****.

16. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

CAUTION!

Bad information alert

17. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

18. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

I guess neither one of you saw the word "malfunctioning" in my post. That means they are not working correctly and one of the symptoms may be the amp sounds bad.

This is from Mesa Boogie:

3. Check filter caps. Shorted filter will cause smoke and blow the fuse; an open or intermittent-open filter cap will cause hum, distortion, weak tone, noise, oscillation and lowered voltage. To test, merely clip lead another cap of sufficient voltage rating across each filter one at a time. (Filter caps are large blue cylindrical parts on power supply board, and one on pre-amp board.) Occasionally, one of the very large 220 mf 285 volt caps will break loose from the bottom of the board and cause loud buzzing that is not affected by Volume control setting. To fix, re-solder cap to board.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCMQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmesaboogie.com%2Fmedia%2FUser%2520Manuals%2FMark%2520II-C%2520Manual%2520-%2520Maintenance%2520%26%2520Repair.pdf&ei=1HcgVZzUHIzGsAWb34DIAw&usg=AFQjCNHOJCTdxVubVhqtk1L16VqGgEGx4g

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  19. Bradleyonmic

Bradleyonmic Member

I don't think so, not if you want trouble free operation. A capacitor starts going bad from the day it's made.

20. ElectroDux

ElectroDux Member

???