Fender Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guitargeek26, Jan 24, 2012.

1. guitargeek26

guitargeek26 Member

Vintage Guitar magazine, the leading publication in the collectible-guitar industry, today announced that the Fender Deluxe Reverb has been inducted into its Hall of Fame. Each year, the magazine’s staff and readers select inductees in three categories – Player, Innovator, and Instrument. The Fender Deluxe Reverb shares recognition this year with Keith Richards and Seymour Duncan.

“The Deluxe Reverb is a great amp for anything from blues to country to rock and roll, and even jazz. Consequently, it has long been a go-to combo for countless first-call Nashville and L.A. session players,” says Dave Hunter, who regularly profiles amps for themagazine.

The Fender Deluxe Reverb, which received 54% of the votes, was up against three other great instruments: the Gibson Les Paul Junior, the Gibson Firebird, and the Gretsch Duo-Jet. Hundreds of votes were tallied via the magazine’s traditional written ballot, while hundreds more voted at VintageGuitar.com. The 2012inductees will be featured in the March issue.

Have any of you used this amp? If so, what did you think of it?

2. Franklin

Franklin Member

I have the re-issue '64 -which is ok. I played several "old" ones that were definately amazing amps.

3. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

Was playing my '78 DR last night...such a great sounding amp. Whatever awards it achieves is okay by me!

4. djw

djw Member

Seriously? It's only one the top 2-3 desert island amps out there. It's sort of odd that VG only now voted it into its HoF, for whatever it's worth... but I have no idea what's already in there, so what do I know?

Anyway, yeah, it's a sweet amp for small to medium clubs and can get darned loud, though it's not a great clean platform for large venues or outdoor gigs unless you're mic'd all the way up. Stays bone-clean until you're too loud for at-home use (for me, anyway). Nice to have around if you like a clear, bright clean tone. Very versatile, takes pedals well. Can be too bright for some, but there are ways to tame that. Original blackfaces and silverfaces are terrific amps; the reissues have some enthusiasts but seem to need upgrades to satisfy people who have played through vintage specimens. Sound great with an extension cab. I love mine.

Welcome to TGP, by the way.

5. Mwoodbro

Mwoodbro Silver Supporting Member

And let's not forget...portable.

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    WARNING! DO NOT BUY A DELUXE REVERB! If you find one, contact me so I can dispose of it properly (adding it to my collection of 3:D).

7. EGO_MACHINE

EGO_MACHINE Member

I own a mint 66 Reverb Deluxe...

So SWEET...............Amazing when pushed, and a friendly 22watts.

8. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Member

Yeah, I've toyed with selling my minty blackline '67 a few times, but always changed my mind after playing it for a while.

Through in a Emi CRex and you're in da business!

9. remocity

remocity Supporting Member

10. AA864

AA864 Supporting Member

... is 'blackline' the politically correct version of 'blackface' ? I keep seeing this and it always strkes me as odd having used the term 'blackface' for 45 years.

11. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

This is a blackline
    [​IMG]

12. AA864

AA864 Supporting Member

meaning the blackface circuit or the black tolex ?

13. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels Supporting Member

meaning a silverface that has black lines vertical between the channels. These still have the blackface circuit, but have a silverface cosmetics. You may need to zoom in on this picture to see the vertical black lines.

14. R.S.Fraser Sr.

R.S.Fraser Sr. Member

"Have any of you used this amp? If so, what did you think of it? "

Well, my 64 is still goin' strong since I bought in in 71 or 72 (50 bux)
    and I still like it.

I think I'll keep it.

bob

15. Dashface

Dashface Member

I have a lovely hand-wired Deluxe Reverb clone and I have to admit that it is the bees knees :) Love the DR sound.

16. nek

nek Member

I traded a 65 BFDR for a 67 BFVR and never looked back.

17. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Member

Yep, what others have said. A "blackline" is a transitional silverface amp. Started coming out around June of '67 if I'm correct. All blackface guts with Silverface cosmetics and drip edge around the grille.

I was lucky to get mine with the original cover and footswitch as well.

18. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

Of course the Deluxe Reverb would be in the Hall of Fame of guitar amps.................now that's a no brainer..

19. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I've got a '65 reissue, and I love it. Gonna swap in a Jensen Neo-100 and clip the bright cap on the vibrato channel so I can use my pedals through that side. Been using the normal channel almost exclusively.

20. mike6m

mike6m Member

I agree. I wonder if they will soon induct the Gibson Les Paul or the Fender Stratocaster...