Fender Deluxe tone but with more wattage?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GuitarRuss, Jul 22, 2008.

1. GuitarRuss

GuitarRuss Member

Hi there, my Twin is too heavy, and my Ampeg Superjet is good but not as good as a Fender Deluxe, so I'm going to be selling my Twin and getting a new amp.

I love the sound of Deluxes but need clean (no breakup) at higher volumes for African, reggae and my original music. I'm currently borrowing a Vibrolux and like it but it's also a bit noisy. At 40 watts it has a great loud clean sound and great breakup if I want to push it.

My question: What are my best options for a higher wattage Deluxe type sound? I'm willing to look at other companies like Alessandro, Victoria, etc. I would like reverb included. I don't want to pay much over $1400 (less is great too) and new or used are both great. The weight and size of the Vibrolux are about the maximum I'd consider.

Thanks for any help you might give.

2. Derelict

Derelict Member

3. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Buy a used Tone King, 40 watts - 4 6V6's with a killer clean channel and a tweed style overdrive channel. Super light and really well made.

4. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Vicky Double Deluxe get a used one, and grab a Holy Grail pedal or a Fender Tube Reverb tank

5. sqadan

sqadan Member

Allen Accomplice?

6. Defendant

Defendant Member

Victoria's Double Deluxe is a fantastic amp. I use one in a soul/afrobeat band. But it's not a high-headroom amp, and the tone is the thicker, tweed deluxe sound, not blackface. I'm thinking about adding a switchable negative feedback loop for more headroom on mine.

7. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I use a sf Deluxe for a wedding band I play with. We can actually get pretty loud and for the most part the Deluxe ha been great. I always have monitors and the amp is miced. I have been using an RC booster set for max xlean and it also seems to get me a louder clean out of the deluxe. I also ran it with 6L6's instead of the 6V6's for awhile. I couldn't tell it helped as far as headroom that much.

8. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

If you're looking for blackface try a Gries 35. It's a 1x12 combo with reverb, has great BF tones and is real quiet.

9. slackandsteel

slackandsteel Member

How about a DR with a really efficient speaker?

The Carr Rambler is another great sounding Fendery clean amp to consider.

10. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

Carr Rambler or slant 6

11. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Supporting Member

Wattage matters far less than speaker sensitivity/efficiency in the loudness game. I was recently using a 20 watter that was far louder than my 40 and 50 watt amps due to speaker sensitivity.

12. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Next step up is a Bandmaster Reverb...35 watts and it's a head, drop it on a 1x12 or a 2x12, if you want to stay combo you could have a cab made and be good to go. A Vibrolux is a great one too but it's a 2x10 and Vibrolux amps go for lots more than a Bandmaster Reverb. You could also go to a Pro Reverb but those are still pretty big however they weight lots less than a Twin Reverb

13. 414driver

414driver Member

Might try a Dr Z Z-28...a deluxe on steroids!

14. Strat

Strat Member

Carr Rambler, better trem too, and the used price is quite good these days.

15. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

Yes indeed. I was in Austin for a Pedal/Amp fest last summer. When the TOne KIng was turned on, heads turned. I commented then that it was the best Fender BF 6V6 I had ever heard. There was a guy there with a /13 amp who stood up to take a look see.

I don't know where you are, but here's a 40-watter for sale:
    http://atlanta.craigslist.org/msg/736801653.html

I have been successful getting "local sale only" folks to ship, but you have to ask them real nice and pay (in this case, to S.F., I would offer up to $100.00 shipping/handling for a well-packed, double-boxed amp. No peanuts, please. No UPS; FedEx or better.

Good luck!

16. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

A Big Plus One - the Comet 40 or Meteor II are ones that I use a lot!

Dana O.

17. mj07

mj07 Supporting Member

exactly_ The Comet 40B exactly what a more powerful bfdr sounds like.

18. GuitarRuss

GuitarRuss Member

I'm going back to Canada at the end of August so I can pick up the amp then. I have relatives coming from the States so they can bring up any amp from the States too.

Does the Bandmaster have the same kind of tone as the Vibrolux and Deluxe? They are quite affordable. Some of these amps are really expensive, above my price range unless I find a great used deal.

Are people selling amps through Craig's List more than Ebay nowadays? How do I search all of Craig's List, not just one city?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  19. Brien

Brien Member

Well, I was in that same situation, as I own a BR NR Deluxe, and I bought a Victorilux as well. I wouldn't say they sound the same, but I'm very happy with the Victorilux. Some efficient speakers really give the Victorilux a lot more headroom-I went with Webers, 12f150 and Ceramic Blue Dog combo. I have a 2-12 which is really not that heavy, but he also makes it in a 1-12 now if size is a factor.

20. tommytomcat

tommytomcat Member

Russ, I was just looking at the Allenamps.com website and saw that Dave is selling a used Vibrolux reverb for $1300 + $75 shipping. The pics look very clean (used).. BF cosmetics.. tilt back legs.. raw control installed.. 10" & 12" Reverend Alltone speakers.. Upgraded OT.. 3 day trial period.. and Dave has serviced it. Looks like a cool deal.

http://www.allenamps.com/usedgear.php