Fender DRRI Mods: What would you do?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jmckeown88, Jan 24, 2008.

1. jmckeown88

jmckeown88 Member

So I've got a DRRI, and I'm looking to upgrade it quite a bit, I like it now, but I guess I just want 'more' out of it.

What would you recommend? I plan on swapping out all the tubes and getting a new speaker (even perhaps chopping the thing up to make it a head +cab)

I want to get a big, punchy, clean sound, something John Mayer-ish...
    I've been thinking about an OT upgrade...

what else?

Should I switch to a SS rectifier, can I swap to 6L6's instead of 6v6's to gain some headroom?

Help...I'm clueless.

2. gdgross

gdgross Member

I wouldn't want to chop up a nice combo... To me the attraction of a combo amp is that you only have to carry one thing instead of two. Why create more work for yourself??

neither would I want to go to bigger bottle tubes or SS rectifier in the same amp. If I wanted a bigger clean type sound, I'd just go get a super or a twin or whatever.

If I had a DRRI, and I wanted to soup it up, I would look at things like tubes, speakers, transformers, etc. Tubes are easy to replace and you can quickly a/b them. Speakers are a little harder, unless you have them mounted in a separate cab. If that didn't get me where I wanted to be, then I'd consider more invasive modifications. But once you star getting too crazy, the question surfaces, why not just get the amp you are looking for instead of modding a different amp to get there?

3. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

Tubes and speakers would be my thing. Try something like a JBL clone from weber or an EV if you want a lot more headroom and better bass response.

I also wouldn't go SS rectifier because you end up losing a lot of the touch sensitivity that people dig about these amps. A simple mod I would do is put reverb on both channels so you can use the darker normal channel for a change of pace.

as for tubes.... Tung Sol preamp + JJ power seems to be a standard combo these days.

4. jmckeown88

jmckeown88 Member

what all goes into replacing the OT, is it a difficult mod??

5. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

Probably a good suggestion. I sold my DRRI and bought an Accomplice and have never ever regretted it. Just was never happy with it and I could never seem to make it sound the same twice.

6. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

What is the 'more' you want out of it?

7. 67super

67super Supporting Member

I've got a 68 DR and "big" and "clean" don't really go with it. Don't get me wrong, it's one of my favorite amps but with 22 watts and small transformers it can't do big and clean headroom is hard to come by. You need a Super Reverb, Pro Reverb or Twin for that.

8. jmckeown88

jmckeown88 Member

I just played it tonight through a 410 cab loaded with mojotones, and I really loved the sound, I think it really does have a big sound, which is what I wanted.

Maybe I should start by saying that I usually gig with an 18 watt 2xel84 amp, and I want something with more punch, less chime. I want big, thundering lows that have lots of punch. The combo tonight really worked. I've just heard that OT's (and Power T's I guess???) will help with the lows, so I'm thinking right now about getting new transformers and tubes, and seeing how that goes.

Anyone with Tranny swap experience?

9. ScioBro

ScioBro Supporting Member

google on DRRI and check out the rebuilds and mods described.
    Mikey mann?

MM OT is bigger footprint than stock OT.

Supposedly using MM for Output Tranny, Power Tranny, Choke, and Reverb Tranny all improve things...or at least take the DRRI closer to true Blackface sound / feel.

I just put a Cannabis Rex in my DRRI ....big improvement...darker....no hi volume fart out.

I like the DRRI a lot (never had a SFDR or BFDR).
    So, if I was going to have a BF clone made, I think I would do a BFDR.

If I was going to go as far as getting MM trannies, I think I would just go all the way and splurge on a complete hand wired clone

10. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

1. Put a Neo/EV/JBL speaker in it. Good NOS in the preamp. Bright cap.

or

2. Get an old early 70s Super Reverb, because that sounds like what you're really looking for.

11. jmckeown88

jmckeown88 Member

I dunno, I was looking at the mojo stuff (mojomusicalsupply.com) and they make head boxes that I can bolt the DRRI directly into, which looks awfully tempting...

And I'm really digging the one just with the 4x10, so I think I'll just go for tubes for right now. I just wonder if I'll like it better or worse with 2x12's.

12. bluegate

bluegate Member

I modded my DRRI with MM OT, Choke and Reverb transformers.
    Snipped the C10 in the Vibrato channel.
    Changed the Mid resistor on the Normal channel to 25k.
    Made the Reverb available on both channels.
    And swapped the speaker with an Emminence Red Fang Alnico speaker.

With a Lehle 1@3 I could choose the Vibrato channel for all my Clean
    sounds and a Fulltone OCD or THD Univalve into the normal channel for
    my Overdrive sounds.

It's a great little combo, but I sold it when I got the money to buy a
    Bogner Shiva.

13. jmckeown88

jmckeown88 Member

How difficult was the MM OT, Choke and Reverb transformer swap?

14. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

I have DRRI & I've found that the most dramatic & userful mod is to leave the electronics stock and change the speaker. I would put a Eminience Wizard into the amp, the volume would double and the tone would be even better. Another speaker I like is the Eminence Tonkerlite, it has a big full spectrum sound and cuts ~10lbs off the amps weight. All in all a speaker upgrade gives you the most bang for the buck with most amps.

15. bluegate

bluegate Member

It's not that dificult, but I've studied some electronics a long time ago.
    (Add highvoltage disclaimer here...)
    I had to adjust the positon of the OT a little (MM is slightly bigger)
    All connections to the circuitboard are with connectors.
    If you can find these connectors you'll be done in no time.
    Only soldering I had to do was the speaker output.

16. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I would get tubes and a new speaker. That will set you back no more than $250. By the time you swapped out the trannies (not a newbie DYI thing), you could've had a Super Reverb reissue which truly is big and punchy with the ability to get the John Mayer sound with a pedal.

17. doublee

doublee Member

I am thinking of having a guy put in a '64 hand wired circuit in my DRRI, with Mercurys and appropriate caps etc etc. I have already put a Weber 12F150 in it so far and various NOS (Brimar, RCA, Mullard and whatnot).

You fellers think its worth the few hundred bucks to have it rewired?

thanks

18. telejammer

telejammer Member

I had the bright cap clipped , retubed with Tung-Sol 6v6's, and replaced the speaker with a Celestion G12H-80 speaker, RCA nos pre-amp tubes, sounds fantastic !

19. jmckeown88

jmckeown88 Member

right now it is sounding great with an old Pacific 410 cab I have loaded with Mojotone speakers. I'll definitely swap out the tubes, just because the ones in it are old, and I'm probably going to get the head cabinet from mojotone, just to help with size/weight, I play out a lot and need to be able to fit everything in my car.

20. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Maybe for $200, but that seems like an awful bargain as aren't the MM trannies alone worth over $200 not including chokes?