Fender DRRI reverb on Normal Channel, How?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Europa760, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Europa760

Europa760 Guest

Anyone have any experience getting the amps reverb into the normal channel?

im not interested in jumping channels either. i want the reverb wired internally into the normal channel.

and if by any chance anyones done this, will it make it sound thinner like the vibrato channel? in other words, would the vibrato channel sound as fat as the normal channel if it didnt have the reverb?

thanks in advance.

is there a general way to approach this?

2. TwinandTwang

TwinandTwang Member

There is a mod that can add the Reverb and Vibrato (Tremolo) to the Normal channel. It does not change the sound of the Normal channel, , just adds the effects.

3. Europa760

Europa760 Guest

do you know how i go about finding this mod?

4. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

How about fattening up the vibrato channel by removing the bright cap from the volume control which is why it sounds thin in the first place,
    Dave C

5. Dave C

The cap I'm refering to is labeled C-10 both on the schematic and the circuit board, the normal chanel doesn't have this cap which is why it sounds fatter. This cap is the "bright"switch cap which is hard wired "on" in a DRRI as well as SF&BF DRs. In a DRRI it is on the narrow board with the control pots between the vibrato chanel volume pot and input jacks. Hope this helps.
    Dave C

6. radiohedzz

radiohedzz Member

I've disconnected the bright cap on the vibrato channel, which made the channel much more useable, but the normal channel still sounds fatter after the mod. I use the normal channel exclusively on my DRRI because I get a fatter, more 3 dimensional sound.

I've read of the modification which allows both reverb and trem on both channels but that involves equalizing the gain in both channels and will impact the tone of the normal channel.

7. Dave C

There is a signal loss on the vibrato chanel from the vibrato circuit itself whether it is used or not. I often replace the depth pot with a push/pull pot and use the switch to remove the vibrato circuitry and resultant signal loss from the signal path for a significant boost.
    The tone stack can also be modded with another push/pull to remove the losses due to the tone circuit itself which results in an even bigger boost. Mesa Boogie does this on a few amps. I don't particularly care for the resulting tone usually, but it does give a healthy gain boost by cutting down the parasitic losses.
    Dave C

8. Europa760

Europa760 Guest

ive done that already.

9. Europa760

Europa760 Guest

yea, the normal channel sounds a lot better.

10. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

How about removing the EQ slope resistor and adding a raw control,
    adds midrange and overdrives nicely.

11. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Is it OK to have DC on a pot?

I'm assuming you'd go with a 100k-L pot?

12. mikeller

mikeller Member

remove the V1 tube which is the normal channel preamp tubes. That and the bright cap mod helps the vibrato channel alot.

13. Europa760

Europa760 Guest

what does removing that tube help it do?