Fender DRRI vs. Peavey Classic 30 (Pedals question)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Puckman, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Puckman

Puckman Member

I have both amps, and have been A/Bing them a lot lately, trying to decide if I should keep both, or one or the other.

A couple of surprising findings, that I'm kinda hoping to get confirmation from over here, from other people who've tried both those amps.

I always hear how the DRRI takes pedals very well. But I've found it to sound pretty harsh with OD pedals (TS-808, Barber Direct Drive) on the Normal Channel and almost unusable on the Vibrato Channel. The Classic 30 on the other hand, seems to take OD pedals very well on either channels. I don't know if I'm not dialing something in right or what. Is this the general consensus? The OD seems to sound warmer and smoother on the C30 (i'm guessing due to the pronounced mids on that amp).

I also find that at home volumes, the cleans on the C30 are warmer and a bit more spongey than the cleans from the DRRI. 2 different styles of cleans. Apples and oranges, I guess. But I find myself almost preferring the C30 cleans right now.

Is this consistent with what you all have found? Or am I just nuts?

(PS: Both amps are stock, no speaker swaps, no mods).

2. Derelict

Derelict Member

you aren't nuts. the peavey classics are great amps and take pedals very, very well.

3. mude

mude Supporting Member

I love Fenders for certain things. Great amps.

But, the Classic 30 is a killer amp that loves pedals. It has a mid range presence that really sits will in the mix and can be a part of some killer lead tones with the right pedals.

Evan.

4. scottlaned

scottlaned Member

Classic 30 is great. I strongly dislike the second channel, but the first channel is a fantastic platform for pedals. DRRI could be good with a speaker change. The stock speaker in there IMO sounds like icepick trash.

5. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

DRRI>Clip+CRex, "Ice Pick" gone. Pedals nice in both channels.

6. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

Have the bright cap snipped and change the speaker in the DRRI. That ought to do it. I'd go with an Eminence RW&B.

7. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Guittguy1 makes a great point, speakers change everything, for both amps, but especially the DRRI which is always talked about being ice-pickey. The cannabis rex speaker will also tame that high end harshness. The truth is both these amps are great little amps and if you can afford to keep both and change a few speakers you will be covered pretty well. Let's face it, guitar players need a backup amp and when the backup amp is as good as the main amp your in hog heaven.