1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fender Dual Professional

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fenderbender4, Apr 18, 2005.

1. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

I have heard comments on this from different people. Does anyone know the features, describe the sound, price, construction and date, and most importantly...WHERE COULD I FIND ONE??

2. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

I heard somone say that the low end on this is bad. Can anyone speak to this issue?

3. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

Ya

4. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Don't think we've had that problem with ours. Keep in mind that "flubby when pushed" is a complaint that you will only hear from people who have actually opened the amp up. Unless you have a good deal of isolation handy, or a very large venue without PA, you don't do that with a Dual Professional.

5. Mike

Mike Member

Did you contact the guy who is selling one on TGP Amps & Cabs Emporium? Good place to start.

Mike

6. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Not the one I played. It is hand-wired and sounded huge. Tons of clean headroom, very loud and also very heavy. Not farty AT ALL. Really nice 3 knob verb and good tremelo. The fat switch adds just what you need to take a single coil guitar into a beefier solo tone. It comes stock with 2 V30's, and they handle bottom end very well. If you want loud and clean with guts, this amp will do it.

7. 59burst

59burst Gold Supporting Member

I've had one for several years now, and I haven't had any problems with the low end. I play it mainly at home, but I have taken it to some small/medium gigs. No fartiness whatsoever. It is incredibly loud, so maybe it loses some bottom end if you turn it up to 10, but that would kill a charging rhino at 50 paces.

I know people talk about the clean, but I find that it is not as high clean headroom as a 100 watt Carvin X-100B tube amp I used to have. I can get touch sensitive dirt into my playing beautifully with the Dual Pro, using a Les Paul. Less so with a strat at the volume levels I play at home, but with the fat switch engaged, the strat sounds really beefy and cool.

I assume that if this amp weighed 20 lbs less (it weighs 76 lbs) it would be one of the "must have" boutique amps. I think many other 2x12 combos that people dig weigh even more (Mesa, Matchless), and I have no idea how people gig with them regularly! My search for a great clean sounding tube amp ended with this. (My search for a great Marshall-style amp ended with my Emplexador, so I'm pretty much done looking for amps!)

8. Mike

Mike Member

I picked one up to a/b with my other 6L6 amps. The V30's break up, and when I play it through my Swamp Thang the lows hold together much better.

It's a good sound. Every Two-Rock I ever played sounds better to me, including a modified Bassman I had. That said, the Two-Rocks are more hi-fi, (except that Bassman-best Fender I ever heard) while the Fender has that, well, "Fender" thing happening!

My curiosity satisfied, I'm going to move this big boy on down the road, but for a little while if anyone wants to come over and a/b, let me know.

Mike

9. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Ever Two-Rock I ever played was much less attractive to me than my Dual Professional. Sometimes it's strange how taste works.

10. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I played one along with two Vibrokings, a SRRI and three original SRs when I bought my old vintage one. It was my least favorite of all those amps. It still was a nice Fender clean, but not one of my faves. The low end sounded pretty tight to me. They may still have it at GC in Paramus NJ. It was there for a LONG time.

11. Mike

Mike Member

Yes indeed, that's what makes the world go round. That's why I always try to say "to me", or "to my ear", out of deference to others who may hear things differently.

I do NOT like the V30's in this amp though. Better cleans to be had with other speakers "to my ear"!

Mike

12. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

To get the true sound of the Dual Professional you have to open it up. This is usually not practical. It's sort of what is wrong with the amp. But when you open a Dual Professional up more or less all the way there is no Super on the planet that will do that. VK won't really do it either, for similar reasons. The Super has 410 and VK is 310 and those 10 inch speakers just don't get beat on the way a Dual Pro - which is typically really pushing 150 Watts - hits those 2 12 inchs. In a Super, each 10 inch speaker is getting maybe 15 Watts. in a Dual Pro, each 12 inch speaker is getting 70-80 Watts.

Someone else in this thread mentioned how they changed the speakers to change the sound. When you hit speakers that hard, they can change sound just from one volume level to the next - even though you aren't really getting nonlinear distortion from the speakers - you get color changes. So the Dual Professional is a pretty revealing about some uncommon aspects of speakers. This is part of the Dual Pro attraction which is of no use to people that can't run it really loud.

13. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

That would explain it! I have never been in any situation where I could play an amp that loud. Even in my metal bands, my 50 watt marshalls hardly ever went past 3-4 on the volume knob.

14. davebc

davebc Member

The Dual Pro is/was(discontinued) imo the custom shops best kept secret. I loved it so much,I bought two.
    What it does,it does better than anything else,which is produce the warmest,most organic,clean fidelity you'll ever hear.
    The amp sounds like a perfectly broken in 45 year old Twin.

I like to to chime in whenever the subject of the Dual Professional comes up because these amps are so overlooked, but offer incredible value,hand built, point to point,killer lush reverb,a Vibrato that will give you a heart message,tons of warm clean headroom,topped with this incredible sparkle and shimmer.

I've never cranked mine,but with the Volume on about 7( try to get away with that)and a Les Paul straight in,you can really nail that amazing old live Bloomfield cranked Twin thing,or the early Duane ABB studio stuff.Oh yea,and absolutely to die for clean Hendrix tones.Play the opening chords to "Wind Crys Mary"and you will completely wet yourself.
    The amp really loves pedals;and in all likelyhood you'll need one to make the amp give it up.

I've never experienced any farting out in the low end,and the DP's seem to be more consistent sonically than the Vibro-Kings.
    I had to go through 5 VK's before finally finding THE one.
    These days my Tone Master( talk about LOUD) has been collecting a lot of dust,and might be my least favorite only because of the brittle highs in the gain channel,love the Vintage Channel though.

If you like old Twins,or amps with an incredible amount of warm,clean,shimmering headroom,you'll dig the DP,super fidelity.

15. 59burst

59burst Gold Supporting Member

+1 on what davebc wrote.

I'd suggest we quit talking up the DP though - I have one, and I'd love to get another, but if people get wise to them, either the supply will dwindle or the price will move out of my reach. :D

16. davebc

davebc Member

Oh yea,they really suck,don't anyone even consider one.

17. Mike

Mike Member

Well guys, I've got one here I want to audition for a couple more days to see what I'm missing, then I'm selling it. It's so heavy, I'll probably do a Bay Area sale, no shipping. I should take it outdoors and crank it, but it's raining right now!

I owned a Tonemaster for the better part of a year. I HATED that amp, both channels. I dug the Vibro-King at the music store, but bought a '53 Twin that day. I had that Twin for over 10 years. Had a '64 Super Reverb for 7 years, until I sold it about 2 1/2 years ago.

I liked the Vibro-King and Super better than this DP. The Twin was a different animal altogether....

I dug all my Two-Rocks better than those Fenders or this one. I'm kind of relieved that this DP didn't blow me away. I can relax a little and trust my preferences.

Mike

18. davebc

davebc Member

The weight of the DP is definitely a negative, a real nut buster,no doubt.
    I've given up on the Tone Master, can't remember the last time I turned it on,probably a year now,can't deal with the gain channel,way too brittle/harsh,uncontrollable.
    I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY VIBRO-KING!

I love the DP for what it does,warm,clean fidelity.

19. move

move Member

hey ToneGurus,

can you tell us about the '53 twin?