1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Fender Experts: Deluxe vs Twin vs Quad vs Super 6

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wildshoetwt, May 20, 2011.

1. wildshoetwt

wildshoetwt Member

Deluxe Reverb
    Twin Reverb
    Quad Reverb
    Super 6 Reverb

What do I need to know about these amps, obviously there is some variation from year to year etc, but in general how does these amps differ in terms of tone, reverb, etc.

What is the tonal effect of more speakers? How much louder do each of these amps have to be cranked? What years are the best for each? Which has the best bass and chimey-st nicest (non harsh) treble?

This is the tone I'm chasing

http://soundcloud.com/elliot-anderson-1/dead-meadow-till-kingdom-come

(guitar comes in at 0:20, guy's playing through an Orange and Fender)

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

OK, guess the amp (by power rating) that doesn't belong ;)

the quad and the super 6 were bizarre novelties for those folks who thought a 100w 2x12 twin was just not big, loud, or heavy enough. (they were both just twins in bigger boxes.)

3. wildshoetwt

wildshoetwt Member

what's the effect of having more speakers, how much more volume is there? what are the power ratings on these amps?

does more speakers = less speaker breakup?

are the reverb units of equal quality on these different amps?

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

hey look, satan's post count!

it's the same amp (a 100w twin) in different cabs.

at a given setting, it will be louder in the bigger boxes, so to get the same volume, it would be turned down a bit, so cleaner.

5. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

No way is that a Deluxe Reverb, way too much bottom end.

Of course, I could be wrong. :) But really for that type of tone live in a room (not produced in a recording) only something in the 40+ watt range will do.

Deluxe is going to have a sweeter, chimier tone with more emphasis in the midrange but really lacking in the ass department, where as a Twin is all ass, all the time.

6. blackba

blackba Member

don't overlook the Dual showman reverb, you can then match the head to whatever cab you want. :)

7. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

How big is your vehicle?

8. hogy

hogy Member

The Quad Reverb is a thing of beauty. Big, full Fender tone, much better bottom end than a Twin, no real subjective volume difference.

It actually doesn't need to be cranked to sound good, I like mine especially at lower volumes. Even with the volume control at 3 it sounds so deep and rich, really better than a Twin...

The Quad Reverb uses 4 16 Ohm speakers in parallel to match the amp's stock Twin Reverb 4 Ohm output transformer. I was lucky enough to snatch 4 Eminence Swamp Things in 16 Ohm, I don't believe these are available anymore. Huge improvement over the stock 1970s Fender Utah speakers it came with.

9. wildshoetwt

wildshoetwt Member

Thanks, this is what I like to hear, I'm almost 100% positive the Fender in that clip is a Quad Reverb or Super Reverb.

How would the Super Reverb compare to the Quad Reverb?
    Super Reverb vs SRRI vs vintage Quad Reverb?

10. mthomps

mthomps Member

Hey my cousin, a fellow axe slinger, and I have the deluxe reissue and the twin reissue respectively and use each others amps all of the time for recording. Live we stick to are own. Anyways, here is what I think of them.

You don't have to really crank either one up to get it to sound good. The best way to describe the difference of the two is the feel of the output. The deluxe is more compressed sounding and "squishy" while the twin is more "sterile" but not really in a bad way. It is the most dynamic amp I have ever plugged in to, which I admit is mostly the standard amps in my brief eight years playing but the reason I bought one.

The twin is great if you like really clean tones because when everyone starts to turn up and volume war starts you still stay clean. But keep in mind you have to like that. But it really does sound sweet and so naturally clean at the typical rock band playing too loud volume. I like to try to play groovy chunky and staccato parts like Mark Knopfler on the original Dire Straits album and this amp is great for clean stuff like that.

The deluxe is going to break up at that said volume so if you base your sounds off of overdriven guitar than the deluxe is the amp you want to look at. It's going to start breaking up a lot lower than that though and by the time you are at jamming volume it's very hot

Long post but I could not get your track to play so I just tried to describe the two amps I know as best I could. Sorry it's so long. Hope I was useful though!

11. mthomps

mthomps Member

I just got the track to work and you probably want a deluxe reverb.

12. wildshoetwt

wildshoetwt Member

why? the other guys say it has no bass and that i need a twin or quad?

also how does the super reverb fit into this mix? what are it's tonal properties?

13. mthomps

mthomps Member

I said deluxe because the track you posted had a slightly broken up tone that a deluxe excels at. To get that with a twin you will either need a pedal or be standing 50 feet away from the amp and crank it. And even then the deluxe driven hard is going to sound better for distorted tones. I don't know what amp was used on that track, I"m honestly not an expert at this.

Are you talking about recording or live? For recording just turn the bass up on a deluxe and the treble down a little bit. It will break up early but you will get more bass out of it. Live, a lot of bass will suck the headroom out of the deluxe and will just give you an earlier break up. If you want a lot of bass live get a twin.

I left out the super reverb because I have never played through one.

More speakers is going to sound louder. A deluxe vs a twin in a strait up volume war the twin gets so loud you can hardly hear the deluxe.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  14. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Don't forget this. Same family, same chassis, but 1-15 speaker.
    [​IMG]

15. wildshoetwt

wildshoetwt Member

so school me:

how does a 2x12 vs a 1x15 vs a 4x12 vs 6x10 affect the tone? which do I want?

i'm looking for bass and chimey but not harsh treble, the treble has to be chimey no matter what, if that means i have to go tweed or something so be it, but i cannot have ice picky treble, it has to have a sweet chime to it

i dont mind scooped mids as i'll be filling the mids in with a 2nd amplifier...

16. thosk

thosk Silver Supporting Member

No love for the Pro Reverb?
    ~40 watts, 2x12.

17. wildshoetwt

wildshoetwt Member

how would a blonde 1960-1963 showman do for the tone i posted?

and how does speaker size/quantity affect tone in similar circuits

18. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I've actually owned all of these amps you're asking about.

Hmmmm, the Deluxe Reverb is the different one of the group. Low to medium volume, smaller tone than the others, some think its the classic Fender tone.

The others are just variations of the same thing, just different tone and sonic footprint. The Twin is a perfect larger/cleaner amp. I own a '64 and it really sounds amazing and has a huge amount of headroom.

The Quad and Super Six are BEASTS. I can't believe I used to gig them. Much louder/larger sonic footprint, amazing headroom, almost no overdrive unless at crazy volumes. The Quad sounded full ranged while the Super Six had a quicker attack and more cut.

I think the "perfect" Fender amp is the Vibrolux Reverb for most things and the Twin Reverb if you want a cleaner/bigger platform.