Fender experts: Real or fake?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by michael30, May 3, 2008.

1. michael30

michael30 Gold Supporting Member

I bought this neck on ebay a few years ago. As I've learned more about different Fender models I'm starting to suspect that this might be counterfit.
    This neck has never been drilled for Klusons which AFAIK should be the correct tuners on a California Series neck.

It's a good quality neck, nothing like the cheap chinese knock-offs that I've encountered. The finish and decal are obviously factory applied.

What I'd like to know is: Is this a real Fender? If it's not, then why would someone go to the trouble of making a copy of this quality and then not get the details right?

What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. biggreen

biggreen Member

I'm far from an expert, but the truss rod hole doesn't look right to me, shouldn't it be rosewood lined for all non bullet style trusses? And isn't it missing the little metal cover plate.

[​IMG]

3. David Collins

David Collins Member

Yes, it's a plain old 98 Fender California Series neck, with a bunch of holes drilled in it.

Estimate value as it is - $30-$50

Estimated value if it were a fake - $30-$50

Estimated value as vintage in 50 years - $30-$50 (after inflation adjustments).

Which is exactly why no one would go through the trouble of making a fake one.

4. 12345678

12345678 Senior Member

I totally agree. From your pictures, it looks to be original. As David said, why would anyone go through all that trouble to make a forgery that they're gonna make $30 on???

5. fazendeiro

fazendeiro Member

Probably the same guys who make counterfeit pennies.

6. biggreen

biggreen Member

True, however I have actually seen counterfeit epiphones, like the cheapest sg models and thought WTF? And back in 98 it would have been worth more than 30-50 I imagine.

7. David Collins

David Collins Member

Oh, and as to the tuners, you can't give little inconsistencies like that too much weight in authenticating most instruments. Throughout the production life of most any model you will always find some differences between "catalog specs" and real world specs, even if just in early or late batches of it's production.

The catalog says klusons, but it has markings from the standard Mexican model tuners. Well, they were finished and at least partly assembled in Mexico, and only made for a few years. It would be no surprise at all to find Mexican tuners, likely on some batches when they were phasing the models either in or out.

8. michael30

michael30 Gold Supporting Member

Thanks! Good to know. I'm assembling a cheap partscaster from all the stuff that has been left over from my other projects and I wouldn't have felt comfortable selling it with a fake Fender neck (even with full disclosure).

9. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

You can always run the serial number by Fender as well.

10. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Something smells here.....I have never seen a Cali that had a headstock truss adjust. Maybe I missed something. Also looks like the headstock is not one piece? Maybe I am wrong though, the stamp is fishy as well as is the decal.

11. playon

playon Supporting Member

My California Tele adjusted at the headstock, I thought they all did. This neck looks OK to me.

12. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I'm suspicious of it.

13. swimrunner

swimrunner Member

as others have said: it pretty much doesn't matter. either try it out or do a no reserve on fleabay

14. trisonic

trisonic Member

What would be the motive of forging a "90's" Fender neck from a "run of the mill", "bread and butter series" like this????????

Oh, I see others have made the same point...................somewhat better than me.

Best, Pete.

15. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Nice thick rosewood board on that.

16. qwer

qwer Member

My colleague has a California series Strat, which the neck looks exactly like yours, with serial number AXMN............... So i believe its real. Its based on a 62'