Fender Experts: Tell Me About This '69 Pro Reverb Please!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mickey_C, Aug 5, 2019.

1. 55hz

55hz Member

Buy it. Do it.

2. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Living In The Palace Of The King, Big D of DFW
    I love G12-65's and have a sizable stash of new and used ones for use exclusively with Plexi and Dumble voiced amps, though I'm not sure they would be my first choice for this amp.

I strongly recommend a couple of Eminence Cannabis Rex's in most vintage Fender amps that take 12" speakers. They're just better voiced for what you have there. Imagine the sweetness and dynamics of vintage Jensen C12's, but without the farting out on the lower mids.

And you can keep the original Utahs for safe keeping and to maintain resale value.

3. Mickey_C

Mickey_C The Original Racketeer

You must have skipped a bit of the thread. It's already in the house, has already been fired up, and today sits back on the bench getting new electrolytic capacitors throughout.

I picked up a pair of the Eminence GA-SC64 speakers, the ones designed for Eminence by George Allesandro. I've played amps he built with that speaker, and they sounded great. It got them special priced at $75 each so it wasn't too bad.

I did pick up some of the Sozo blue molded astron-type caps. I am going to do some tap testing on the coupling caps after I replace the electrolytics. If any fail I'll replace them with a Sozo.

It's always fun to have a new old-timer amp in the house!

Guitar Dave T likes this.
  4. Mickey_C

Electrolytics are done. With the new eminence-allesandro speakers the amp sounds spectacular. I know there are some changes I could make in the amp, but right now I am digging it as is.

I think the biggest tone upgrade was the speakers. Those oxfords were terrible. I was warned ;)

5. zenas

zenas Member

Did you try the Oxfords after the service?
    If so then you obviously didn't like them but gave um a fair shake anyways.
    When I got my 64 Princeton Reverb it had a 71 CTS alnico, with a "Fender" sticker so it probably came out of a 71 SFSR. Playing it while waiting for the cap can and other electrolytics I figured that speaker was going by by. After the service it's still in there. Classic case of how weak electrolytics can make a speaker sound bad. (probably happens more with Princetons than bigger amps though)

I'm going to have to try some of them Alessandro speakers some time, people seem to really like um. :)

6. Mickey_C

I did try the 12L6 oxfords after replacing the caps - in fact I used the amp with them for 2 days before swapping them out.

I was surprised how lightweight they were - they had tiny little magnets on back. One of them is a recone - the cones on the two speakers are completely different. I also ordered a pair of WGS ET65s, so those are sitting in boxes next to the amp. But I like the sound with these allesandros, I don't know if I want to mess with it.

I am thinking about a new cabinet - it seems like this one is on the verge of falling apart. If I sell it I'll just include the oxfords. I guess that is how so many bastardized amps end up out there.

In any case I am really digging what the amp can do now.

zenas likes this.
  7. Red House

Red House Silver Supporting Member

Firstly, I am happy for you for your speaker choice with the GA's - the CRex does not have the Fender sparkle if that's what you're looking for.

Secondly, that's a good looking chassis:

Yes - change the filter caps
    Yes - change the bias cap
    No - no need to change the bypass caps
    No - no need to change the brown coupling caps

Finally, let the amp be what it is - a transition Silverface, especially since you like how it sounds after installing the GA's.

Congrats on a nice score!

8. harvey j

harvey j Member

Tom Walker designed Music Man not Leo Fender.

9. harvey j

harvey j Member

I would definitely change the bias cap.

10. zenas

zenas Member

He's done the caps already.
    Personally I disagree with not changing cathode bypass caps. I've had too many problems with old 25v-25uf caps to leave them in. (might be the cold Minnesota winters, damned if I know) Had them kill trem and reverb, plus make noises, so they get changed with all the rest of the electrolytics.