• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Fender factory errors thread. Vintage amps edition.

Over the years I have seen a few Fender amp mistakes. Always very minor, usually the wrong value or something not soldered.

This pic was taken today of a mid 1964 Fender Deluxe Amp. The Phase inverter had this 120pf cap where a .001 uf cap should have been.

I'll bet that was thin sounding...
Like you would not believe. The guy came with a speaker in hand to swap out. After I serviced it he left with the same speaker in hand. It has a Jensen Vibranto in there now. It now sounds killer. My all-time favourite Fender amp. I would take 1 of these over a 100 Deluxe reverbs.

zx1012r

68 Vibrolux. I bought it a few years ago from an older gentleman that said he bought it new and it never quite worked correctly. He had it back to Fender for warranty and they couldn't find the problem. It sat under the cover for years. I found the bias ground not soldered from the factory. Let me tell you this is one fantastic sounding amp now!

I had a 68 Twin in recently that had no voltage on the reverb channel preamp tubes. The wire was never connected under the board to the 2 100k resistors. It was about 1/4 inch away. I wondered why the knobs on the reverb channel were pristine while the normal channel knobs were all grubby. Awesome amp now!

Also had a 68 Showman at the same time that was originally blackface and was clearly silverfaced at the factory at a later date. That was a weird one too.
I have to start taking more pics.

CDA

Indigenous Donkey
I get a kick out of the old Marshalls that didn't use screen resistors on the Finals

teemuk

Screen resistors? Who needs them anyway because no one actually overdrives amps. Right?

Some early Fender amps didn't have them either, and when included they were improperly derated, non-fusible and located beneath and very close vicinity to wiring of the tube sockets. When amps did get overdriven one experienced a nice Domino effect of self destruction: Resistors caught on fire, then the wiring located close to them....

Well, they fixed that but still insist on adding a standby switch.

J M Fahey

Sometimes found (20 years later) resistor legs tightly wrapped around terminal strip or socket legs, but never soldered.

Amp worked anyway because tight wrapping provided good enough contact anyway.

kinmike

Silver Supporting Member
Like you would not believe. The guy came with a speaker in hand to swap out. After I serviced it he left with the same speaker in hand. It has a Jensen Vibranto in there now. It now sounds killer. My all-time favourite Fender amp. I would take 1 of these over a 100 Deluxe reverbs.
Isn't the normal channel of a DR pretty close? I have never compared the schematics.

Mike

Pete Cage

I've seen many through the years. A few favorites:

A Power switch on a SF Princeton Reverb that never got soldered:

An unsoldered ground lug on the reverb RCA jacks:

My favorite: a broken PI plate resistor. It was a pristine amp, probably never sounded right and never got played, and it was clear from the single set of lockwasher marks on the chassis that I was the first one ever to go inside.

FWIW - this shows up on a lot more than just Fenders...

swiveltung

I've seen a couple non soldered wires. Also the heater wires sometimes are not routed to the same tube socket tab along the line. (they cross over) Some question if that is really an issue though.

Baxtercat

Silver Supporting Member
I have to start taking more pics.
Yes, save pics everyone. I dig the pics in this thread [as an old Fullerton SF chassis assembler, who undoubtedly made a few boo-boos too].

Also the heater wires sometimes are not routed to the same tube socket tab along the line. (they cross over) Some question if that is really an issue though.
I've had a Twin or three w/ the 'out-of-phase' heaters. Yes, they didn't sound bad. Maybe any 'hum' w/b cancelled out?

Pete Cage

Well, if we're expanding the category to include non-Fender amps...

Here's a rectifier filament connection. Two wires in the lug, but only one is soldered. Ironically, there's an "inspection" mark on the joint...

Blue Strat

Fender blackface Pro or Vibrolux Reverb with unsoldered connection to V1 or V2. Amazingly, it worked for 40 years until...

Another Fender 2 channel reverb amp where the reverb power supply was connected to the wrong node, upstream from the choke, causing constant hum in the reverb.

zenas

All I've found is a few solder joints that went bad after 50 years of abuse.
Well I did find an inch and a half of leftover filiment wire inside a 65 Bandmaster once. Kinda funny because the guy I bought it from had just spent 175 bucks to have some Twin Cities vintage shop give it a "clean bill of health".
Saw that wire and a ground off before I got the chassis all the way out. The frayed power cord I saw right away.

Trending Topics