Fender Factory Tour...1959

dougk

Silver Supporting Member
how friggin awesome is that.

But man that guy at the bandsaw... watched that thumb get awfully close when resawing off the headstock face! LOL

BarkingTree

Thats really cool. Sleepy little factory lots of hand operations.
Ladys did all the winding..
The Body shaper machine very cool, Lapsteels
Guys with there shirts off and the Factory doors open to the afternoon sun.
Liked that. I think I saw a rosewood layer on top of a block of maple..?

Last edited:

Foley

how friggin awesome is that.

But man that guy at the bandsaw... watched that thumb get awfully close when resawing off the headstock face! LOL

That old guy at the band saw was definitely a machine!

Awesome Video!

donnievaz

If they only knew that those guitars would be worth over $20K today. I wonder how many of them bought one or two at an employee discount and held on to it for life.

radialaced

That is so cool! I like how quickly the cut the bodies and necks with a band saw, and how fast they sand the contours in to the strat bodies. And how about that spray booth with no masks? And the guy at the end doing the QC on finished strats with no shirt on?

Ahh, if only my Delorean could reach 88 miles per hour.

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
I guess those would be considered "Team Built".... Those guitars couldn't have been that good because there were no Ultra-Master-Craftsman-Luthiers in the plant, like there are today.

Pffft.....

:D

Kmaz

The older gentleman at the band saw looked like George Fullerton's dad. Was that George who was jamming with another fellow near the end?

I've not seen this and think it's really cool that we have it. Thanks for posting!

IPLAYLOUD

Gold Supporting Member
The guy on the right at the end, I believe, is Freddie Tavares.
Yes, George Fullerton's father cut many of the bodies.

If you really look closely at old Fenders, you never see a "perfect" paint job (even today).
There was so much debris floating around! Those fans kept particle and all kinds of junk moving through the air.
There was no paint room...it was done in the corner! No masks or gloves on many of the workers. It was people working to build things to sell.
Pretty amazing when you really look at it.

mrbungel

Thats really cool. Sleepy little factory lots of hand operations.
Ladys did all the winding..
The Body shaper machine very cool, Lapsteels
Guys with there shirts off and the Factory doors open to the afternoon sun.
Liked that. I think I saw a rosewood layer on top of a block of maple..?

Richard Smith, foremost Fender historian and author, confirmed that the film was shot in 1957. That could be rosewood, Fender made a Strat with a solid rosewood neck around 1957, Norm Harris owns, or owned that Strat.
It's a well documented guitar.

BTW, Richard Smith is not a guitar dealer, check out his book "Fender, the Sound Heard Round the World".
Best Fender history book ever written.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom