Fender Fat 50's 2 & 4 Positions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by donbarzini, May 23, 2008.

1. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

I have always played the noiseless strat pickups, DiMarzio, Kinmans, etc. but I would like to try some true single coils in one of my guitars. If I basically play in the 2 & 4 positions, mostly clean, would these pickups be pretty quiet?

2. FUSER

FUSER Member

Absolutely.
    Fat 50s are a great set of pickups.

3. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

It will be quieter if you shield your cavities and the whole pickguard. The CS Fat 50's are all wound the same - no RWRP. I love pickups straight up - I like the tone and especially the quack better than a set with a RWRP middle pup. And if noise is an issue for you I recommend the Suhr BPSSC.

4. gillibi

gillibi Member

Actually they do have the RWRP. Mine sound great and are dead quiet in the 2 & 4 positions.

5. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

Thanks guys So what would be the difference with a reverse vs. non-reverse wound middle pickup?

6. MSS

MSS Member

I have a set in one of my strats and they are good sounding. Try and get a good set used since I think they are a little over-priced IMO. Fairly quiet in 2 & 4 but probably not as silent as what you are used to!!

7. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

OK. So the reverse wound middle is what makes the 2 & 4 positions hum canceling. If I were to get the Suhr back plate, the pickups would all need to be the same polarity since the back plate works as the hum canceling device.

8. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Looks like I have Custom Shop OEM '54's - they are all wound the same.

9. FUSER

FUSER Member

Also the CS69s are wound the same.

10. strat6866

strat6866 Member

I have a set of Fat 50s in my EJ and its noisy but i'm pretty sure its the guitar and not the pups. Mysterious grounding issues with EJs.
    Great sounding pickups by the way.

11. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Yup - got a set of those too - an "A.Y." set and they sound really nice.

12. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

Hmmm. Well, if I go the Suhr Back Plate route, I have all sorts of choices.

13. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

the Fat 50's are calibrated and give nice cluck in the 2 and 4 positions and are humcanceling in those positions.

yeah Mike, you must have the 54 set :)

14. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

They might be decent if you have the aftermarket version with RWRP

but the OEMs on a few guitars with Fat 50s are NOT RWRP, and are quite noisy.

Nonetheless, these are among THE best Strat pickups I have EVER heard! Bar none! The bridge is the only bridge I have ever heard that has balls, pushes an amp, yet still sounds like a TRADITIONAL Strat with that Fender pickup sound we all grew up with.

There are many alternatives, but I happen to LOVE Fender single coils.

15. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

i've got CS Fat 50's in the neck and middle of my '83 strat (with a JB Jr in the bridge). i LOVE the sound of the 2 and 4 positions, and yes the middle is RWRP.

i love the middle pickup on its own as well, very good for chimey arpeggios.....but i've never been happy with the neck pickup on its own. it's too buddy holly and not enough jimi. :rotflmao

i'm actually thinking about replacing the neck pup with one of the CS 69's.

Anyone out there combined a CS69 neck with a Fat 50's middle?

cheers,
    wade

16. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I love the 69 pickups especially for the 2 & 4 positions. Much woodier and hollow compared to the Fat 50's in those positions. Position 2 sounds just like Knopfler with those. The 50's are a little thicker in the mids and that along with a RWRP changes the quack sounds.

17. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

thanks, that's exactly what i was hoping to hear. that's the "problem" i have with the Fat50's neck pickup--it's too mid-forward and not hollow enough. of course, the mid-forwardness is exactly what i love about the middle Fat50's.

are all of the '69's in a set the same? or are there separate neck/middle/bridge-intended pickups?

i've got a fralin blender where tone #2 resides.....i love dialing in just a little neck pickup to the JB Jr in the bridge, just to smooth it out a little bit.

cheers,
    wade

18. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

All three are identical!

19. fuzzz

fuzzz Member

go for the fat 50s,if you ask me..loads of strat character and ideal balance of fatness and clarity..the best fender cs pups in my opinion

20. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

as RVchevron stated, they're not calibrated. I'm thinking of putting a Fat 50's in the neck and leaving a 69 in the middle. Not for RWRP, because I'd be using the 50's neck pickup and they should end up being wound the same. I just like those mids from the 50's when playing overdrive. The 50's seem to have a little more authority and definition with those mids. But on clean I love the 69. It's a trade off. So I was hoping to keep some of both. Anyone try that?