Fender Fat 50's Pickups - Opinions Please!

hardys

I've been wanting to try some new pups on my Strat. I currently have some Lollar Blackfaces installed, and while nice, I'm looking for a change. The Lollars have a nice clarity and sweetness, but I'd like to get something with a little thicker, less glassy/airy top end. Just a bit more punch, too. Another candidate are the new Suhr FLs.

Can the Fat 50's do what I want?

eric-d

They're okay. I really don't like RWRP sets.... I took the middle one out an put in a Van Zandt Vintage and it helped a bit in those 2&4 positions. You can hear them in my youtube videos...

buddastrat

I'm with eric-d. no RWRP, and was thinking of switching out the middle. The notch positions just don't have that hollow thing. Kinda ho-hum to me. I prefer the '54's or '69's from Fender. The 60's in the relics are great sounding too.

Bikedude

Platinum Supporting Member
If you want an expert opinion of these pups, go on over to the FDP forum and ask SMark. He's very knowledgable with several hundered different p/u's. He'll steer you in the right direction. BTW, I love the Lollar Products.

dave s

I hear what others hear with the RW middle pickup. However, I happend to like it a lot and use it for soloing when the OD is engaged. It's an 'interesting' sounding middle pickup.

Guess you'll either like it or not!

The rest of what your asking for is in there. Nice fullness on bottom end and pretty glassy top-end. Also pretty 60s/70s sounding. Fat 50s do great Skynyrd tones ... not that I actually play that type of music, but I hear that tone when playing my CS Strats loaded with Fat 50s. Decent set, IMO.

dave

FUSER

I have used it for 2 years. I find them to be great sounding strat set, except of course the bridge position alone.
My fav are the neck and neck/middle which I use almost always.
A very nice tone indeed.

Trending Topics