Fender Fat 50's question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by jbgordon, Jul 20, 2008.

1. jbgordon

jbgordon Member

I was wondering if anyone knew how to tell which pickup is which when you buy them. They have colored dots on them, but no explanation of which color is which pickup.

This may be a completely ignorant question, but I'm just getting into the guitar building/frankensteining game.

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. UMT

UMT Member

Re: FrankenGuitars: Just wanted to let you know that I built my first 'FrankenStrat' about a year ago. Neat experience, shopping and buying all the parts and then putting it together, painting it, etc... I must tell you that after GOBS of hours invested and about $500.00 cold hard cash, I've got a pretty nice guitar. A pretty nice guitar that if I wanted to sell it, I would be damned lucky to get $250.00 for it... I sure learned alot and ultimately, I'm glad I did it but I 'paid' for this guitar. It was a fun project but I don't know that I'ld ever build another. It kind of seems like now that I've done it and learned all about doing it, I don't want to do it again! Ha.

3. Martian

Martian Member

Red is bridge, blue is middle and neck.

4. jbgordon

jbgordon Member

Thanks, but what if there is only one pickup with a blue dot?

5. Martian

Martian Member

At this point, I'd get a Volt-Ohm Meter. I'd measure the electrical resistance of all three pickups. The highest reading pickup, I'd install in the bridge position. The pickup with the middle reading of the three, I'd install in the the middle position and the one with the lowest reading, I'd install in the neck position.

6. Supasso

Supasso Member

I'm pretty sure that the Blue is the neck. The middle is RWRP anyway, so it would be easy to identify.

7. jbgordon

jbgordon Member

I didn't think about that supasso. Thanks for pointing it out.

8. mockoman

mockoman Member

If the middle PU is RWRP,the wires are usually yellow & black,while the neck & bridge are white & black.