1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fender Fat Strat Texas Special owners... Sound Off!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Lution, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Lution

Lution Member

I'm intrigued by this guitar. Thinking very much about picking one up. That Pearly Gates Plus and the Texas Special pickups sound like a strange, but good mix.

Questions: This Pearly Gates Plus.. is this a true Pearly Gates pickup or just another "Duncan Design" PG wannabe?

How are you FSTS owners using your guitar? Hard Rock? Country?

How do you like the mix of these pickups?

thanks-

2. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

It's a true Pearly Gates +, but not the same as the other Pearly Gates sold by Duncan. It's not one of those Duncan designed pups.

I used mine for rock and pop. Eventually I changed out the pickups. The Texas Specials really don't thrill me and I don't miss them but I miss the PG+.

3. Lution

Lution Member

David, how is it different than the regular Duncan PG pickup?

4. jec

jec Member

I love mine. Nothing special about the guitar except for the pickups. I love the Pearly Gates HB. Awesome classic rock crunch. The Texas Specials are okay..I'd be interested to try some other SC's though. Although the pronounced midrange works pretty well with transparent overdrives like the TIM, if you combine them with a TS9-type pedal, it will mush up more.

Overall, I'd think a used Fat Strat TS would be a better deal than a newer model used american-made fat strat just for the Pearly Gates alone.

5. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I put a regular PG in another American Series Strat I owned and found the regular PG to be both brighter and harsher than the PG+. YMMV.

6. boonhogganbeck

boonhogganbeck Member

The difference in the Pearly Gates that SD sells and the Pearly Gates + that Fender uses is the magent. The SD version uses alnico II while the Pearly Gates + uses alnico V.

7. Lution

Lution Member

cool. thanks for the info.

8. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I've had mine now for about 3 years, Great playing guitar. I do like the PG+ with Texas Specials but just changed out the whole pick guard and put in the SD Classic Stack Plus pickups!

9. Lution

Lution Member

what is fair market value of one of these in good shape?