Fender Flame...Ibanez Blazer... Anybody?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jdsapp1, May 15, 2008.

1. jdsapp1

jdsapp1 Member

I inherited a Fender Flame and an Ibanez Blazer. Does anybody know anything about these guitars. How much they are worth maybe?
    Just added pics. Lemme know what you think. Thanks

Flame
    [​IMG]
    Blazer
    [​IMG]

2. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Which Blazer? Original early to mid eighties brown strat type or later 90s Superstrat w/locking trem?

3. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

4. ?&!

?&! Member

I had a matching Flame and D'Aquisto when I was in college playing jazz. I bought them used as a pair for $500. I saw a D'Aquisto on Ebay recently go for almost two grand. I shudder to think what the Flame might be worth now. The Flame was a killer fusion guitar, with a unique sound. Congrats on your score!

5. stratoskier

stratoskier Member

The Blazer reissues sold in 97-98 actually didn't have locking trems. The more expensive one (BL1025) had a Wilkinson VSVG and the other one (BL850/825) had a Gotoh 510AT. Both can be distinguished from the original Blazers by having "Blazer 21" in small script on the headstock, HSH pickups, and various other features. The BL1025 is a pretty remarkable guitar --- IMO, the absolute best strat-like machine Ibanez ever produced.
    Bert

6. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

7. John C

John C Supporting Member

Also don't forget the nicer versions of the early 1980s model were in metallic red and metallic blue (Ibanez' take on Candy Apple Red and a darker version Lake Placid Blue) - they were pretty nice as i recall, but they were wiped out by 1983 or so when Ibanez began developing locking trems.

I always wanted to try out one of the 1990s BL 1025s but never found one locally:(

8. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

I sold Ibanez gtrs throughout this time-frame and for my tastes, the 90's version was nicer/better/etc. The HSH pickup array w/5 way selector auto-coiltapping the humbuckers made for a very, very hip and verstile stage axe - offering many tones.

9. stratoskier

stratoskier Member

Yup. Besides the tight tolerances throughout the body, the 1025 had many nice features-- Wilky trem, Sperzel locking tuners, AANJ neck joint, excellent fret work... There aren't many undiscovered gems out there, but the BL1025 is certainly among them. These guitars are so unlike everything else Ibanez was cranking out in the late 90s, that I've always wondered whether they commissioned someone from outside the company to design them. But probably not -- Ibanez did have a history of making good strat knock-offs, and the 80s Blazers were also fine guitars.

10. jdsapp1

jdsapp1 Member

I just added pics, take a look, lemme know what you think. This has been really helpful!

11. stratoskier

stratoskier Member

Whoa -- that looks like an old Fender Esprit Flame, which later evolved into the Robben Ford model. Check out this page for some more info:
    http://www.hendrixguitars.com/Fe788.htm

I think there were several Esprit models: Ultra, Flame and Elite, but I may have that mixed up with the RF models that came a little later. At any rate, those are fairly sought after guitars, but I have no idea of the value. You might also want to visit the Robben Ford forum to hunt around for more about these guitars.

The Blazer is an 80s Blazer -- don't know the year, but they're fairly common in the auctions. I see them going in the $250-400 range.

12. johan

johan Member

The Flame is the smaller version of the Esprit model which became the Robben Ford model. Don't know the price today but they are worth some $$$. Great guitars!

Stratoskier - Flame and Esprit are different models. Flame being the smaller and Esprit the larger. Esprit became the RF model. The Esprit and Flame both came in Standard, Elite and Ultra versions.

13. stratoskier

stratoskier Member

14. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

So the Fender Flame is a set neck - more or less Fender's Les Paul. Does it have the Fender scale or Gibson scale?

15. John C

John C Supporting Member

The Blazer is one of the lower-end models from the late 70s-early 80s era; looks like this one has had the pickups replaced with EMG Select pickups from slightly later in the 1980s (they came on a lot of import superstrat types in the mid-late 80s). I found this site with old Ibanez catalogs scanned into PDFs; I think this might have been a BL-300NT; here is the link to the scanned page (if this is the entire catalog; it is on pg 10):

http://t3-kundenserver.de.dedi661.y...ses/t_meinl-uploads/1981_electric_guitars.pdf

I just reread my earlier post; I was just taking a stroll down memory lane in saying the BL-500/BL-550 (the metallic red and blue Blazers) were pretty nice for the times - remember how many bad Strats were hanging on the wall in 1980? I always thought the late 90s BL-1050 would have been a pretty cool piece to have with those splittable pickups (something Ibanez is revisiting this year on those new Prestige S-series models).

16. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Yeah - the first thing when I saw the Flame I thought of Fender Elite.

17. jdsapp1

jdsapp1 Member

Thanks for the info everyone!

18. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

That is a Flame Standard, which is the base model with dot inlays, chrome hardware, and opaque black finish.

The pickups have been replaced on both guitars, by the way. This might lower the value of them a bit.

Neither guitar is particularly expensive. I would estimate $500-600 on the Flame and $250-300 on the Blazer.

The Flame would probably be more like $800 if it had the original pickups and is in nice condition. These pickups were only made for this model, so they are very hard to find used.

19. Fineblend

Fineblend Member

sorry to bring back an old thread, but I found a Fender Flame on ebay, and I not sure on the price the seller is asking for it, $4000. Is the guitar worth this much? I don't mean to low ball but between the information here and on the internet most sources put these guitars around the $1000 dollar mark. Thanks for any info!

20. johan

johan Member

Item number: 370096715396
    $4000 or best offer.

Well, first of all. This is not the same as the RF model as stated in the ad. This is a smaller body version of the Esprit (RF model). Looks like the RF but smaller in size.

Even if it sell for $4000 it's not the market price and not what they go for. I've seen some of the top-of-the-line Esprite Ultras (not Elite or Standard) go for over $2000 but that's just because it's the guitar RF used. They are great guitars. This on the other hand - good guitar but not worth it IMHO.