Fender folks who turned Marshall or vice versa?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LoopyBullet, Mar 2, 2015.

1. LoopyBullet

LoopyBullet Supporting Member

Not that there aren't a plethora of other amp brands out there, but talking about two big ones - are there any guys out there who were primarily Fender amp guys who switched to Marshall? Or vice versa?

I'm a big Fender nut turned Two Rock nut, but have been tempted with some of the newish amps in the Marshall handwired line. I've almost always played amps in the Fender type of territory (or at least in clean territories). What were your initial and long-term impressions of Marshall or Marshall style amps? I'm not really in a position to play very many good Marshall amps, so I'm just wondering if there are Fendery guys out there who eventually went to the dark (and warm) side of the amp spectrum.

I play a Strat and am a fan of the old SRV/Mayer/big clean sound, but am finally looking to venture elsewhere. Time for a change!

2. IndyMead

IndyMead Member

If I had it in the budget I'd own both but for now I just play through Fenders with a Wampler Plexi Drive on my board. That thing will get you really close.

3. garret

garret Member

It's not so much about "turning" to another amp, it's about the tone and voice you're looking for based on the music your playing.

4. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

I currently own both a Fender DR and a Marshall 1987x. The DR is a '69 drip edge. the Marshall is a late 90's RI.
    I am a died in the wool Fender fan boy. Guitars and amps! But, I was always chasing the dirty tones of Marshall by using pedals with Fender amps. Which really never got me there.
    I've wandered away from the Fender camp a few times, but never ventured into Marshall territory until just the last few months.
    Having cut my teeth on Fender sounds, it's taken me awhile to get familiar with Marshalls. For such a simple circuit it offers a lot of tonal variation, if you take the time to explore it's tonal pallet.
    I still like both flavors and would mix them on stage, if not for the added load in and set up involved.

5. LoopyBullet

Deacon - did you notice that you miss anything in particular about the Fender? (if, say, you only owned the Marshall?)

6. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

I've had a bunch of Fenders over the years (some I should have kept) never a Marshall.
    I picked up a used Fargen Olde 800 II head last year that covers all of the Marshall ground I could want, it's really the sound I've been looking for and it's now a keeper.

7. ken374

ken374 Member

I played fender amps with pedals for 2 years, now the Marshall DSL40 nothing touched the Marshall like a Marshall! You think your pretty close but its the voicing and the tubes cooking/EL34's also

8. LoopyBullet

So I'm guessing you gig and play mostly with the Marshall now? Miss anything about the Fenders?

9. DV52

DV52 Member

Owned a JCM900 ( not the most TGP sanctioned ). I enjoyed it. Sold it to a guy that needed it for his band. I wound up with an AC30C2 . It sounded great with Strat and Tele ,not so much with a Les Paul. Sold it to a friend that needed it for a P& W band. Wound up with a surprising find of a 57 Bandmaster RI. Tweed is nice.

10. ken374

ken374 Member

Not gigging but i'm liking the tones better! if I was just playing clean all the time the 68 Twin would be good. I get really decent cleans if I want or go to classic gain or higher gain stuff. Im more into the Marshall tones. The Les Paul is awesome, now I have a strat now and wanna get the SRV/Gary Moore/ Trower tones if possible.

11. illini

illini Member

Toured with a Fender Vibrolux for a bunch of years. Loved it but was always trying to make it sound like a Marshall, which it of course didn't. Picked up an early 2204 head and cab and have been rockin that way now for over 10 years. I still bring other amps out for shows (If I own it I want to play it), but the Marshall is my go to. If I need more of a Fenderish clean tone I will plug into the low input and use a Rat or Barber Direct Drive. Still overdrives better than the Fender to my ears. Or I'll bring out the JTM 45. Different animal than the 2204, but equal in fun.

12. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

When I started playing it was with older friends of mine that were all about Fender amps, so when we went down to the local music store to outfit me with my first real tube amp I bought a Fender. In my mind I couldn't imagine how people could be satisfied with a Marshall- then I tried one. The Marshall cleans weren't as bad as the old guys said and I loved the dirt. I still have a Fender amp, and a Marshall too, but mostly play others now.

13. wallinbb

wallinbb Member

Fender Bassman then Bandmaster then Rivera KH2 then Vox AC50...

Now Marshall DSL40c. Love this amp.