Fender Fortis F-12BT Sale

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by JackedEagle, Nov 25, 2017.

1. JackedEagle

JackedEagle Member

2. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Not a bad speaker for the money. I have seen them at weddings with DJ's and Karaoke events, and they seem to be on par with most systems. Not sure if they make a proprietary sub for them or not. The Blue Tooth add on for 299 speaker is cool.

3. joelster

joelster Supporting Member

4. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

well I bought one, will post thoughts after it arrives
    Wood cab and bluetooth at that price seem like a good deal if it sounds good

5. frdagaa

frdagaa Supporting Member

Does seem like a good deal

6. gag halfrunt

gag halfrunt A fellow of infinite jest Supporting Member

This looked like a stunning deal, and like the OP, I couldn't find much in the area of reviews that weren't likely shills/dealers. I jumped in with both feet and bought a pair of them. After a complete sell-off of PA gear a few years ago, I have been looking to get a couple of powered speakers. At $299 and Bluetooth capable, I was sold. Just got them yesterday. So far, they seem great.

They aren't as overly bright as QSCs or Yamaha DXRs. They run pretty flat without EQ, but the EQ switches on the back allow you to bump the highs, mids, or bass. I'm thinking these speakers would work wonderfully as a FRFR for a Kemper/Axe, etc. They lay down in several different wedge angles.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Crowder likes this.
  7. Roodboy

Thats good news, I'm getting mine tomorrow for use with an ax8

gag halfrunt likes this.
  8. gag halfrunt

I have been traveling constantly since soon after mine came in, and I haven't had a chance to try it out with a modeler. How is yours working?

9. Roodboy

delivery delayed should get here tody

10. Roodboy

Got some time in with it today, Im impressed
    I dont have anything to compare it to, and Im sure if I had it next to a CLR I would like the CLR better, but so far so good.

11. JackedEagle

JackedEagle Member

It looks like these are discontinued and on clearance now. Does anyone know if they are being replaced with a newer model, or if this model had any problems?

12. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

They listed at $699, but it seems like they didn't sell enough at that price.

Generally speaking, the market sets the price on items like this pretty accurately. A QSC K12 that has been on the market for 6-7 years still goes for $500 used. They're hoping to get $299 for these brand new. That tells you what the marketplace thinks of them.

In other words, you should compare them against other $300 speakers and not other speakers with the same list price. You're less likely to be disappointed that way.

13. gag halfrunt

Umm, kind of. I agree with the sentiment generally, but there are many exceptions, and this product is one, imo.

These speakers are, in many ways, very impressive. They sound as good as my Yamaha or QSC full range monitors. They have us much or more power, and they have a LOT more low end than either of those brands did. Plus, they are bluetooth capable, while many brands still are not. Great sound, tons of power, convenient EQ options, permanent mounting points, multiple input options, etc. There are two downsides that I see; one is small, and the other is either small or large, depending on your use and your finickiness.

First, the black, rough spray on protection over the wood case is VERY thin and can be knocked off on a light bump. Not good, but it's only aesthetic.

Second, the speakers hiss, even when no sound is going through them. If you have them turned up higher than whisper quiet, you will hear it in a quiet room when there is no signal being amplified. When I'm playing my modeler through it in the middle of the night, I don't notice it. But for daytime volumes of either guitar or recorded music, you hear it between every song. This might bother you a little or a lot, depending on your personality.

So, this is why I say I wouldn't let the "market based pricing" decide on the speaker's quality. While it's in use, this hangs with a $1,000 or $1,500 speaker easy. Another factor is that people don't naturally gravitate to the Fender brand when selecting PAs or powered monitors. You probably wouldn't seek out Gibson or PRS for PAs, either.

14. JackedEagle

JackedEagle Member

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning more towards getting an EV ZLX-12P. How do you think that compares to the Fortis F12-BT?

15. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

The bolded items are exactly the kind of points that differentiate a $300 speaker and a $500 speaker (street value). I'm not saying the OP should shoot the moon and buy something that is $2,500 a box. I'm saying that at the low end of the market, products eventually find their appropriate price. The Fender boxes have found that price at $300 (or $265 for B-stock).

The OP is correct to compare to the EV ZLX boxes (same price range) or the Alto Pro TS-212 as another example. I think there are more satisfying options for just a bit more, but that's my money. Sounds like the OP is making the right kinds of comparisons.

I have used a friend's EV ZLX's before and I'd rather have a used QSC K10 for around $400/box. I've owned the Alto's and they were fine too. Kind of squawky but not terrible.

16. gag halfrunt

No.

At least not necessarily. It depends on what's more important to you. The Fender speakers sound better overall than any other speaker mentioned in this thread. They are not perfect, but I would buy these again over the QSC I tried.