• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Fender Fretboards: Rosewood or Maple? Why?

RLD

Silver Supporting Member
I tend to favor maple just cause I think they look cooler.
I've got both and really don't feel one is superior over the other for playing.

Slashtone

Primarily, looks. Certain Fender guitars & colors look better with maple or rosewood.

I generally prefer the look and feel of rosewood, but rosewood just doesn't look right on a white strat, for example.

DYNA BILL

If I had a Strat, it would be maple because that's what EC plays and I could sound just like him! :D

buddastrat

Maple on high gain dirt. Tighter and less of that fizzy sound that rosewood strats can have on high gain with a bright tone. Maple can have that great spank when you want, more in your face. I tend to prefer rosewood for cleaner stuff, it has more depth but looser. Of course the body wood, pickups, player all factor in so it's not the only thing and sometimes you can get a guitar that'll fool the ear.

Crossroads

I don't have one, but maple just looks like Fender to me.

They don't look quite right with rosewood.

Mc Tanza

Maple, for tonal reasons. I can get more easily the sounds I expect to hear from a strat with a maple board.

strumnhum

I have a Strat with maple and a Tele with rosewood--I like the maple better, more of a "solid" feel to me, and bends seem easier-feels like my fingers slide across the maple easier than rosewood. Of course, I might like it better 'cause it's on the Strat--haven't been able to bond with the Tele yet.

c_mac

Gold Supporting Member
I tend to play Fenders with vintage frets and radius so my fingers do tend to come in contact with the board. With a gloss finish, the maple can tend to have a touch of drag whereas rosewood feels a bit smoother. However, I have multiple of each and grab whatever guitar has the freshest strings so I'm not too picky either way. I'm not one to buy into a huge tone difference between the two.

phoniako

I've had both.. I favor the rosewood because how it feels in my hands.. sound-wise there are also some tonal differences, in this regard I like both sounds, to me it has to feel good as a first priority, the "looks' is lower priority in this case for me.

peskypesky

I like them both. Switch back and forth all the time. Don't notice much difference.

Now, what I do REALLY like....is a scalloped fretboard.

luv

Primarily, looks. Certain Fender guitars & colors look better with maple or rosewood.

I generally prefer the look and feel of rosewood, but rosewood just doesn't look right on a white strat, for example.
Funny, I feel the exact opposite. I love the contrast of the rosewood board with a white Strat. It's classic. I picked up this combo (on an American Std) last year and I'm done with looking at Strats for a long time.

Lewguitar

Rosewood feels better, has less drag than lacquered maple and doesn't bury part of the fret under lacquer so bends are easier and refrets are easier to do.

I think rosewood gives a little warmer and slightly fatter tone too.

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
Rosewood, cocobolo, pau ferro or ebony. Anything but maple for me. I've just never cared for the feel or the look of maple.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom