Fender Full Range Humbucker Fan Club

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by shawntp, Aug 7, 2008.

1. shawntp

shawntp Member

I've owned a mid 70's Telecaster Custom (74/75) for just over a year now and the full range neck pickup on this thing just continues to blow my mind.

Its so open and articulate but as full bodied as I have ever heard. I have WCR's in my Les Paul that are great but this wide range humbucker is in a completely different sonic range. When I bought this guitar I was looking for something with a bigger full-bodied neck sound and had an ES-335 in mind and then there was this perfect playing and resonant Tele Custom that captured me from the start and put the 335 on hold. Here I am a year later and this neck pickup still amazes me.

I sit and play this thing finder style a lot on the neck setting and it almost has this acoustic guitar quality of fullness to it all alone. Honestly if I were gigging some small coffee shop type stuff (which I dont) I would easily set up with just this on neck over my acoustic for fingerstyle.

So I figure I cant post a thread like this without a pic and a clip so.....

Some worthless noodling:
    www.shawnparslow.com/public/fullrange.mp3

And a shameless pic of my full range 'bucker:
    [​IMG]

Who's "in" the fan club?

2. MCG

MCG Member

That is a great sounding tele you have there! Warm and clear!

MCG

3. teleman65

teleman65 Member

I like the sound of original Wide Range pickups but not the reissues.

4. rastus

rastus Member

I love my modded and played to death 73 Custom-the wide range bucker gives this guitar the ability to fit in most any track when I'm at a loss for the right tone. Just a total go to guitar. I just sold my 72 Tele thinline with 2 of these pickups to a fellow TGP'r and he sounded pretty darned excellent when trying it out. I also have a brown 73 Tele Deluxe that is a real hard rock flamethrower, but ol' black pictured here sure has saved a few tracks in it's day![​IMG]

5. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

And I , Danocaster, am that said "fellow TGP'r" and I used that 72 thinline all day in a session and it was KILLER sounding into a '66 Vibrolux Reverb and a '66 Vox AC-10

LOVE these widerangers

6. DANOCASTER

oh and p.s.

Nice Selmer, rastus !!! Does the eye still blink ??

I WANT one of those :drool

7. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I , unfortunately ... have very little experience with this pickup ...
    BUT , I kind of am reminded of a filtertron from the clip . Does anyone who really knows both pickups care to comment on a comparison of the 2 ?

8. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

I'm a huge fan of the Wide Range. Have a 72 Custom and a 74 Thinline. Sweet pickups.

9. Doodad

Doodad Member

Yep, I used to be in that club. Had to sell her, but that was a unique sounding humbucker.

[​IMG]

10. rastus

rastus Member

Hi Dano-I am so glad you are digging that Thinline-you prolly oughtta post it so all the TGP guys can see you with a minty LOOKIN' guitar! Heheh! I know that neck is slender on that Thinline, but it does have it's charms!

That Zodiac 30 in the pic was REALLY clean and original with the byootiful blue blinking eye still working. I recently sold it to a very famous rock guitarist who now calls Nashville home, but fear not! I am restoring another just like it. At the big killer tone fest we are having at Gary's on the 30th, I won't have a Zodiac to peruse, however I will be bringing my super snarly, croc covered 62 Selmer Constellation. MMM boy it is really GOOD!

11. DANOCASTER

thanks for a great guitar Rastus !! I guess I'll be the first to put some wear on this thing !!

It's SO clean , I pulled the guard just to make sure it was indeed vintage - but it's definitely old and it's DEFINITELY clean !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. rastus

rastus Member

I'm glad you are diggin' it-I'll be bringing a ton o' cool Fenders and other planks as well as a pile of tube powered noise makers to Charlotte on the 23rd and 24th (I'm callin that show halfstack heaven-hehe) but I am really gonna bring the goods to that tone-fest the 30th over at King Bee-I guess I should post about that somewhere on TGP-what is the appropriate area?-becaise there will be stuff for sale there, but the real emphasis is on meeting new people, eating and drinking some goodies, and digging on super rare and killer amps and guitars. What would you suggest?