Fender-Gibson-Rickenbacker-Gretsch !!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by citolja, Mar 19, 2008.

1. citolja

citolja Member

Which of theses makers have the most OVER Priced guitars ??? New and Re-issue...

2. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

Rickenbacker just recently raised prices. For a long, long time they were a super bargain. My 330/6 bought new in 2004 was $899.00. The same guitar today approaches $1,500.00.

Bolt on Fenders are overpriced IMHO. The upper end Gretschs are overpriced IMHO. Gibson is overpriced period....except for the lovely Melody Maker...and a very few others.

You forgot PRS by the way.

3. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

i bought a blueburst 330 at the end of '06 for $1350. but that was a limited edition color. standard colors were $1100 then.

4. brianeharmonjr

brianeharmonjr Member

I think that a good gauge of how "overpriced" something is would be to look at it's resale value vs. it's new price. By this measure, Rickenbacker is by far the least overpriced. It seems that Gretsch's have a huge dropoff in new vs. used prices. Really, nothing is overpriced if it's the perfect thing for you. I wouldn't pay $500 for a custom shop Gibson Les Paul (other than to resell it), but that doesn't mean that they aren't great guitars. It just means I don't like them. It's all subjective.

5. SGNick

SGNick Member

As far as cost vs. what you are getting, I'd say Rickenbacker is the least overpriced

Fender would be the MOST overpriced.
    I mean... come on... thousands of dollars for something that is in almost every way the same as something made in Mexico that sells for 400$? the difference? the guy in Mexico has to be careful not to ding it up.

The Custom shop guys do it on purpose.