Fender Heavy Relic...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Dylan61, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

2. Voxshall

Voxshall Member

I really like it thanks for posting.

3. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I'm normally a big fan of the fender relics, but that's just :messedup IMO... I,too, would be curious to hear how someone would get such "wear & tear" if aged by father time... Other than the relic job, that combination is unbelievably cool.

4. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

You'd have to be an a-hole and treat your guitar like ****.. :)

Jeff

5. Bhodie

Bhodie Member

Let's see... if you used a silver dollar for a pick and had a rodeo championship belt buckle and played heavy rock nightly for 50 years and dropped your guitar into the back of your pickup after the gigs and drove home over a washboard road 20 miles to home... then carefully wiped it down.. it could happen!

Does look pretty cool though..

6. shadowbox

shadowbox Supporting Member

Sweet looking guitar otherwise, though. Really like that color.

7. elgalad

elgalad Senior Member

I was just about to say that it's one of the more realistic looking relics I've seen, but apparently I'm wrong :NUTS

I think people have gotten a little confused by all the supposedly 'realistic' relics going around, but this one seems a very close imitation of the genuine vintage instruments I've seen in terms of the location of wear. The only questionable part might be the gouging directly above the pickguard, but apart from that, it looks fine to me, as relics go.

Of course if you don't like it, the alternative is to buy a strat and actually play it enough to wear through the finish ;)

8. peachead1071

peachead1071 Member

As I've said, I've never been impressed with the Jason Smith relic jobs. The John Cruz heavy relics are consistently good looking though.

9. stoob0t

stoob0t Member

I love how it looks... but there is no way on earth i could imagine any vintage guitar actually getting that kind of wear - unless it's modelled on a Fender 1162AD stratocaster, and used to be played by a Knight of the Realm wearing full chainmail.

10. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

whats up with the chunk missing from the headstock?

11. Joisey

Joisey Member

You mean the wall hanger? Optical illusion me thinks. I like it.

12. SFK

SFK Member

13. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Relic guitars are like silicone boobs.....fake! And yes I know I'm in the minority.
    BTW that's not too far off for a 50 year old guitar that's been played regularly on real gigs.

14. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

The old guitars project a lot of wear if they get used. It doesn't take much if a finish is 50 years old to start looking like that. That pic isn't dead nuts on but I've been up close, held and played the beaters and it's not unlike an old nitro guitar that's been well, well played for 4-5 decades. I think they're great looking and have played some of the one offs that sound really terrific.

15. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

+1 lol

16. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I agree that some of the relic jobs are overkill and actually some are very "fake". I just messed with a '58 Heavy Relic Tele and the relic job wasn't' really convincing. But I do see a bunch that I do like. Make 'n Music has a bunch of cool ones right now.

17. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I had a '63 Jaguar that looked a lot like that when I got it and that was in '73.

18. donostia13

donostia13 Member

It'd be a little crazy to put down $4800 on a guitar that looks like it's on its last legs. Some of those Music Zoo offerings are pushing $7k!

What if the car industry--who's also doing the retro thing w/ the Mustang, Charger, Camaro etc.--"relic'd" their new old cars? I wonder why it works for guitars.
    I'll take a Bullitt Mustang with no ABS, airbags or seatbelts, please ;), and make it green.

19. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

I recall back in the day when I would call Buzzy Levine and ask if a such & such vintage strat was all original and he would reply, "For $3,000 it better be all original!"

Flash forward 12 years and Buzzy is now saying, "For $25,000 it better be all original!"

20. fazendeiro

fazendeiro Member

Or at least "convincing" as relic lovers are wont to say.