Fender HH strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mims2, Jul 17, 2008.

1. mims2

mims2 Member

For the last few years I have been using different PRS guitars and Ibanez's but I am not thinking of trying a Fender strat with dual humbuckers or maybe and HSS configuration. Should a strat with humbuckers be able to get me the same thick sounds as the guitars I've used in the past? I play in a cover band so I need something that will cover all styles from soft to heavy.

2. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Yes, a strat with buckers or HSS is super versatile and get pretty meaty tones. The best thing about strats over others, is they're super moddable. Millions of choices of necks, bodies, as well as the usual pickups, guards.

3. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

For sure!

Also, since you're coming at it from a PRS/Ibanez perspective and not a LP perspective, I think you will be happy with the tones you will be able to achieve for sure. If you want to hear some good examples of a SSH strat user you chould check out www.myspace.com/autovaughn
    The lead guitar player gets a huge sound in my opinion and I am pretty sure he is using a SSH strat almost exclusively...

4. mims2

mims2 Member

Okay I think I'll try it. I have a Seymour Duncan JB and a SD Custom pickup here. Which of these would work better in a strat? I have maple and rosewood necks, but usually prefer rosewood.

5. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

It depends on what you played in the past. PRS maybe, Les Paul, no.

I have a HSS Strat that covers a variety of styles, but it sounds like a Strat with a humbucker, not a Les Paul.

6. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

Go with the JB! Not sure why... just got a feeling it would be good to you. Its a pretty classy pickup I see working in a lot of situations well. why not put it in a maple boarded strat too? Get some extra snap to it.

7. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

jimmy herring uses a HH strat with custom wound duncans.