Fender Hot Rod Deluxe(40W) too much power for around the house ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kugerand, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Kugerand

Kugerand Member

I really like the clean tone of the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Limited Edition (12 " Celestion Vingage 30), stock tubes tied with a new '08 American Standard Fender Strat. My concern is that it may be too much power for just playing around the house. I don't see myself playing gigs, although Praise & Worship band is a possibility.

So...is there an amp with the same great tone played clean with less wattage ?

What would you recommend ? Would you just stay with the deluxe ?

I need to stay in roughly $500 - $850 range.

2. HKGuns

HKGuns Member

Way too much power for around the house if you want tube saturation. My advice would be to stick with the smaller amp.

A Pro Junior would be a good alternative in that price range for around the house. A Champ 600 would save you some money.

Edited to add: The new Super Champ XD would also fit your bill and is getting a lot of love for its cleans and versatility.

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    What HK said. For many the HRD is too much power for clubs unless they want the amp to stay clean (or don't mind getting thrown out of the club).

One of the smaller Fenders including a Deluxe Reverb Reissue might be better suited to your needs.

4. Marty McFly

Marty McFly Member

You might be able to get away with it if you use an attenuator with the Hot Rod.

I used a Weber Mini Mass with my Blues Deluxe, and it helped quite a bit.

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

You may not need 40W around home but if it sounds good to you, fine!
    Sometimes extra power yields extra 'depth' at lower levels, too.
    Use pedals for OD and you're set.

6. Teahead

Teahead Member

All depends what's actually around your home! If there are other homes, as opposed to fields and especially if those other homes share walls with you, then 40w is way too much for me.

We have neighbours on both sides and although I can play my band amps, an AC30 and a Cornell Plexi, at home they each have to be kept very low or attenuated. Tone Terrific mentions the depth of the cleans and that's very true, they sound great, but it still feels like they're straining at the leash to me.

Even the 5w mode of the Cornell is extremely loud in a home environment like mine. Come to think of it, the ZVex Nano Head, at 0.5w, is almost too loud cranked through a 2x12.

7. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

A Deluxe Reverb Reissue is a good option. Plenty of clean headroom for around the house, and they sound better than the HR amps IMHO.

8. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

The Hot rod deluxe has a very touchy volume knob so its hard to keep that amp reined in. I prefer a peavey classic 30 to a hot rod deluxe, if you need a gain channel. Otherwise a used Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue would be the way to go.

9. Topas

Topas Member

Yeah, the volume knob is a bitch. The first 90% of the volume change happens between 0 and 1 - breathe on the knob and the volume goes through the roof. Since this day I don't get why they used a linear pot instead of logarithmic one.
    To not derail the thread, there's a great page about this amp that lists number of methods to control the volume: http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/tooloud.html

10. Rockin J

Rockin J Member

I have a hot rod deluxe and I love it for low volume clean tones. I think it sounds great at low volume. The drive channel is not as bad as it's reputation either if you turn your bass knob down on the amp. You can spend a lot of dollars on a amp not have a much better sounding amp (I have). I like the big tone of the HRD. The little small cabinet, low volume amps sound boxy to me. I would rather have the HRD.

11. HKGuns

HKGuns Member

Not sure why I didn't think about this when I posted my original response. For the money you're talking about you can pick up a nice SF or even a BF Vibro-champ.

My '66 VC is the perfect around the house amp. Don't let reverb become a requirement.

12. supar6

supar6 Member

For the money a used Hot Rod Deluxe is a nice amp. For much more than $400.00 I would definitely look at a Deluxe Reverb reissue. You **should** be able to find them used for under $600.00 from an individual. Don't be fooled the Deluxe Reverb can get loud but from 1-5 it's nice and clean. Check into the bright cap mod as in my opinion it does make a difference.

I've had about 4 various Hot Rod Deluxes in my time and each time I buy one I keep selling for the same reason. Volume difference from 0-2 is HUGE and from 2 on there's not much more. There are some things you can do like remove one of the power tubes or buy an attenuator but at that point you are either a) risking damage to the amp or b) spending upwards of $600.00 - so might as well just get a Deluxe Reverb!!!

Also - I agree with HKGuns. Don't make reverb a requirement. MOST boutique amp builders will tell you it's REALLY hard to include reverb that's worth a crap on any amp without taking away from it's tone. Just my two cents.

13. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

or simply fix the pot. Done.

14. bynt

bynt Member

I'll second almost everything posted. I think it depends on what you're looking for. If you want that to break up, it's just not going to happen (I used to dime mine in another room and step out with the door shut). But, having said that, a five watt amp with natural tube saturation is really freakin' LOUD in a bedroom. My Epiphone Valve Jr. is an awesome amp but (granted, my only cab is a 2x12) I can't stand in front of it without earplugs.

I shouldn't anyway.

I like the Deluxe re-issues but I think they are a totally different amp with a totally different groove. WAY less bassy. Not bad (I really do like both) but if you're caught on the HRD, you may hate the DRRI. That's what Iloved about the Hot Rod; the bass.

15. joeprs

joeprs Member

Pearly Gator, could you tell me where I could buy an 8 ohm, 100 watt resistor? Radio Shack perhaps? Do I need to do anything to it, or is it already attached to a 1/4" plug so I can plug into my external speaker jack. Does the amp's 'personality' change with the load resistor, or is it the same, just not as powerful and loud?

I hardly use my Hot Rod Deluxe because of the volume issue. I did not like the two attenuators I tried and have tried a volume box too.

Sometimes I use THD yellowjackets, but that's not the same thing. I do like the yellowjackets, but they alter the personality of the amp, in a good way, IMHO. But, I find I keep going back and forth from the 6L6's to the EL84's depending on my mood.

Thanks

16. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

I use an 85 watt dual showman reverb as my "around the house" amp

:BEER

17. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I'm in the minority...but I've never gotten a good tone out of DRRI under 6 on the volume. Tried a half dozen of them in the store, etc...and it just always sounded flat and boxy. My suggestion would be a Junior of some sort...

18. joeprs

joeprs Member

Gary, thank you so much for your reply. I ordered the resistor today and can get a 1/4" plug from Radio Shack to solder it to.
    I cannot wait to try it!

Does the amp's 'personality' change with the load resistor, or is it basically the same, just 1/2 as powerful and not as loud?

Also, is it safe to assume that I can also use the resistor with any of my other amps, assuming 8 ohm speaker load of course? I have a Boogie Express 5:25, a Boogie Maverick and a Fender Blues Junior.

19. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Member

HRDx 40w is def too much, 5w is almost too much

20. MartinC

MartinC Member

That's what I think too.

Good to have the extra power available if you ever need it ... the deal maker/breaker is whether or not the amp in question sounds good at lower volume as well ... some do and some don't ... I haven't spent long playing through a HRD but I did play one for a while this weekend and thought it sounded pretty good at lower volumes on the clean channel ... as for the OD channel, no offence, but I'm in the camp that thinks there are amps in the same price range with much better OD channels that also have very good cleans, and sound fine at lower volumes (Classic 30, Crate V3112 [aka V30], Hughes & Kettner Tube Edition 20th Anniversary). Or use a nice pedal with the HRD.

Good luck.