Fender Hot Rod Deluxe IV?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Oriondk, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Oriondk

Oriondk Member

I’ve been looking at getting a tube amp that I can use at home, but would also be useable with a band. I play mostly jazz/fusion type music and blues. I want something with a reasonable price, lots of headroom and takes pedals well. Most of my research seems to point to Fenders and in college I played through a Super Reverb and loved that amp with my 335 at the time.
    I’ve tried a few amps and just yesterday found a HRD to try. I didn’t have a lot of time with it but was pretty impressed. The master volume seems to work really well for keeping the volume at bedroom levels. I plan on taking my own guitar with me to spend more time with it. (Wife was with me yesterday. “Are you done yet? Haven’t you played it enough?)
    Price is right, too.
    So, what are your thoughts?

2. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

Inexpensively built, tweed based circuit as opposed to the BF/SF SR you remember, and the reverb is solid state. That said, if you get one that is stable you can bias it and play on. It would not be my choice, but ommv.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Oriondk likes this.
  3. guitarben

guitarben Supporting Member

Those are great amps, and it will hit the genres you're after. Just do it.

I used the older generation one and it was great. After 5 or 10 years (can't really remember) my ears grew tired of how spongy the cleans are and moved on. It's so funny to me that often the quality that attracts us to gear is what comes to grate on us as our tastes evolve (with help from hearing lose!)

Regardless, great amp. I think you're over thinking this a bit; just buy it. Cheers

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Oriondk likes this.
  4. Pick'n'strum

Pick'n'strum Member

I say get it! Sounds like you really liked it - they are extremely versatile and super popular. Not that popularity is the reason you should buy - just mean to say, they are a workhorse for a ton of people. I have also been very impressed when I've tried them in store...

Oriondk likes this.
  5. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Give the peavey classic 30 and 50 a look too. I personally prefer them over the hot rod deluxe, but hadn’t tried the latest version. I also prefer the fender blues deluxe to the hot rod deluxe, Sounds sweeter to my ears.

70 Mach 1, lumberjack1 and Oriondk like this.
  6. Oriondk

Oriondk Member

I’ll do that.

7. guitarben

guitarben Supporting Member

Yeah the Peavey's are good too, but "better" is subjective. I had 2 Delta Blues which is basically the same circuit with tremolo and a 2x10 or 1x15. I remember the distortion being better than the fender (I still haven't heard the newer hotrods in person). .....but I still preferred pedals over the amp's distortion.

Oriondk likes this.
  8. Oriondk

Oriondk Member

With the little distortion I use I’ll probably use pedals, too.

9. DV52

DV52 Member

:):):)I took a 335 into the iso room at GC . They had an HRD III in there ,plugged in and:beer:dude:banana it sounded great.
    Guys will come in and tell you to get a Two Rock, Bella,BUT you asked about a HRD IV and I put my 2cnts worth in with a III .
    They are good all around amps that get used on stages and Madison Square Living Rooms daily.

You can enjoy it and have fun

fretless and Oriondk like this.
  10. Oriondk

Oriondk Member

Well, if I could afford a Two Rock.......

11. DV52

DV52 Member

It is not about weather you can afford a Two Rock or not. You asked about a HRDIV .
    I was saying you have made a fine choice and enjoy . While saying that people were going to tell you to save up and get "the amp" that they play that is far better "for the $$$$" that you asked about .

Oriondk likes this.
  12. Oriondk

Oriondk Member

I was just kidding. I have no need for an expensive amp.

DV52 likes this.
  13. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

Since you mentioned headroom, I will observe that the BLues/Hot Rod Fenders as well as the Peavey amps mentioned are all loosely based in the 5F6A tweed Bassman camp. These amps have have hot preamps compared to the Bf/SF Fender reverb guitar amp thing that You had with that Super Reverb back in the day. You might want to consider a Reissue Super Reverb. These amps have better construction than do the Blues/Hot Rods and the Peavey mentioned. The reverb in the reissue BF amps is also based in the tube domain versus solid state reverb as found in all of the amps mentioned above..

And...if one can afford it, there is every reason to buy a well-constructed high dollar amp like the Two Rock.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    blackba and Oriondk like this.
  14. GearPagent

GearPagent Member

I really dig the HRD-IV. Would gladly use it more... but the blues JR IV also sounds great and is so convenient to carry. Might be worth a look if you’re me playing anything lighter than classic rock. As might a Katana 50.

Oriondk likes this.
  15. kookaburra

kookaburra Member

I've owned/gigged an old Blues Deluxe, and plugged into the older Hot Rods. Great amps for the money.

As I understand it, Fender has addressed some user concerns on the IV, the volume taper being one, and the overdrive being another. I just used a pedal for the drive, though. Weight is down a bit, too, being in a pine cab.

Sounds like it would fit the bill.

fretless and Oriondk like this.
  16. 70 Mach 1

70 Mach 1 Supporting Member

Look into an old peavy bandit from the late 80s $150 all day long

Owned several hrds. Currently have a BD and C30.
    Cant say which is better if any.
    Id say equal in their own right.

If anything the BD is bassier and the C30 brighter

My ultimate grab and go is my 88 bandit with the scorpion and either a sparkle drive, ocd or FD3

Gig it all the time.

Oriondk likes this.
  17. easyed

easyed Supporting Member

I'd go for a silverface Super Reverb and allow $200 tech fees to give it a thorough checkup and change the electrolytic filter and bias caps. You know you like the sound and SR's have a lot of clean headroom.

Much easier to maintain and repair than a HRD.

The only drawback is transportability. Something like this solves a world of problems - casters make the amp too top-heavy and easy to tip.
    [​IMG]
    It's a cart/tray that fits the bottom of the amps. The casters are located farther from the center of gravity than is possible for installation of casters into the amp cab. The amp and cart are held together by a 9-foot ratchet strap. I didn't have tools or talent to make that tray myself, but my bassist worked as a carpenter and did a beautiful job of it. I did install the casters myself.

The casters make it simple to load into the trunk of my car. I use careful lifting technique and once I get the amp bottom in the trunk, the casters let me roll it back without any additional stain to my back.

Oriondk and blackba like this.
  18. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

I'd go with a Vibrolux Reverb. a lot less weight than a Super.

Oriondk likes this.
  19. Oriondk

Oriondk Member

I’ve actually just been reading reviews on that amp on Sweetwater. It’s stretching my budget somewhat but I’m going to give one a try when I get the chance. Sounds like a fairly versatile amp. May need a good attenuator, though, for bedroom play.

20. scolfax

scolfax Supporting Member

It's worth your time to check out a used Quilter Aviator. Light, sounds great, and loud! No tubes to worry about!

Oriondk likes this.